Home equipment must haves, please!?

Options
I am trying to lose 100+ pounds and would like to start working out at home. My goal is to tone as I lose the weight. I want to decrease my chances of having a ton of loose hanging skin. From what I've read, on other forums, strength training is the way to go. What are your recommendations for pieces of equipment I can use at home? Thank you!

Replies

• cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Foam roller for post exercise stretching.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can start by using body weight exercises. I love pilates videos. A good mat is key; resistance bands are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHuxLKvqlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ-RKEM43hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwxtrr2_UF8
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to look into different strength training programs, find one you like, and then get the equipment for it.

I really like the Strong Curves bodyweight program for beginners. That takes very little equipment to start. It is a book that has 4 different programs. When you finish the bodyweight program, you might want to move on to the beginner weightlifting program.

Another book for beginners is Strong by Lou Schuyler, or his older book New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Cheaper to join the gym.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i keep it fairly simple - I bought a power block set of dumbbells (one set that is adjustable to different weights) - it also has a bar you can buy to turn them into a barbell (although i don't have this). Agree on @cahubbard6421 recommendation for a foam roller

I use the fitness blender youtube videos frequently
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You could start off with modified pushups (or wall push ups), squats and jumping jacks.

Also make a list of things you would like to have and start hitting up yard sales in ritzy neighborhoods (no offense), but you can find great things there. I have purchased a Bosu ball, and a Polar watch. Could have gotten a punching bag but had no way to get it home. Every once in awhile people like to upgrade...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start with a resistance band. A stability ball has many uses. Consider getting a TRX suspension trainer if you can get some instruction on it at a gym. It's very versatile and adaptable to all levels of fitness.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the bodyweight workouts from Nerd Fitness. They don't require any equipment until you level up a few times. The nerdy references are a nice bonus. :)

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Cheaper to join the gym.

Not necessarily.

Depends on how much your gym costs and how much you want/need to spend on ewuipment and how long you will continue to use the equipment.

A typical gym membership costs sbout $25-40/mo or about & 300-480/yr. You can set up a well equipped basic home gym for around $1-1.5k and the "break even point would be around 2-5 years, depending on your actual costs.

Not that long to enjoy working out in the privacy of your home, which is why I spent the $ to set mine up over 5 years ago.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It depends on what YOU like to do for workouts. If you like weights, get a dumbbell set or kettlebells. If you like resistance, get bands. If you like cardio, get a cardio machine you like; running = treadmill, running but bad knees = eliptical, spin bike, actual bike hooked up to trainer. If you like body weight stuff and exercise videos, make sure you have free space for all of the movements.

The KEY to a good home gym is to have the equipment and tools that will motivate you to workout. Good luck!
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses! I am going to be taking baby steps, one piece at a time. Probably going to start with the resistance bands and maybe some free weights. Any advice on the kettle bell? Good idea for a starter or no?
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    @jemhh i was going to suggest a plan, too. I just ordered the Strong Curves book and plan on beginning once I'm back home from the holiday vacation. I was one of those just go to the gym and pick out something to do today folks. Did you try and like Strong Curves?
  • tgardi
    tgardi Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Before I bought my smith machine I bought a single kettle bell. I'll tell you, those things will give you one hell of a work out. I still use it for individual exercises or if I don't have time for much.
  • jemhh
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @jemhh i was going to suggest a plan, too. I just ordered the Strong Curves book and plan on beginning once I'm back home from the holiday vacation. I was one of those just go to the gym and pick out something to do today folks. Did you try and like Strong Curves?

Yes. The book actually has four programs (1 full body bodyweight, 1 beginner lifting full body, 1 advanced lifting full body, 1 lifting lower body only.) It also has a great exercise glossary/reference section (makes up nearly half the book.) It's very good.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Here is a nice article by Dean Somerset, a well known trainer about constructing his home gym. His gym is quite a bit more than most people would have, but he gives good reasoning on the items he included and you can scale back to fit your needs.

http://deansomerset.com/building-the-basement-of-champions-how-to-build-a-legendary-home-gym/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    anlymc13 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your responses! I am going to be taking baby steps, one piece at a time. Probably going to start with the resistance bands and maybe some free weights. Any advice on the kettle bell? Good idea for a starter or no?

Kettlebells are awesome, but they are the most expensive cost per pound you can get. They are very hard to find used, although I did find a 25# at Goodwill once. (It was brand new & I suspect a discarded close out item from a local sporting goods store, based on the tag.) You can do everything with a dumbbell that you can do with a KB. KB does have some microadvantages over a DB, but not essential for someone starting out.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you've got the space, go with a platform, squat stand, a decent bar or two, and a set of plates from, 2.5 through 45's. You'll need at least two pairs of 45's VERY quickly, and maybe a third or fourth pair soon as well.

My home setup is:
    • Rogue SML-1 Squat Rack with Spotter Arms
    • Plate pairs (2x45, 1x35, 1x25, 1x10, 2x5, 1x2.5, 1x1.25, 1x0.625)
    • Cap OB86PB bar
    • Cap OB86PBCK bar
    • Bumper plate pairs (1x25, 2x10)
    • Four pairs of collars
    • Platform w/mats
    • Flat bench
    • Squat shoes
    • Chucks (for deadlifts)
    • Chalk
    • 4-inch wide belt
    • 3-inch wide belt

All told it was about USD 1500.
    vf85koq2lz7e.jpg

• jemhh
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    If you've got the space, go with a platform, squat stand, a decent bar or two, and a set of plates from, 2.5 through 45's. You'll need at least two pairs of 45's VERY quickly, and maybe a third or fourth pair soon as well.

You have a nice setup but I disagree with needing two pairs of 45s very quickly. That assumes a lot about the kind of training she is going to do.

I've built my home gym around a standard bar and plates. My bar tops out at 225 and in 2.5 years of training I've only ever hit 200 lbs one time for one rep, just out of personal preference as far as the kind of training I do.