gym etiquette?

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's always a way of keeping busy until its free but you run the risk of someone else cutting in when they finish and you're back in the same position.

Sub in another exercise and be patient. Unless they are texting / facebooking etc. Then I figure its ok to snatch their phone out of their hand and beat them with it! :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    rks581 wrote: »
    There's always someone on the leg press at my gym. I usually keep an eye on it and, if I finish an exercise and see it's free, I go over to it. One nice gesture is to offer to spray down the machine for the person who just finished. I leave the popular machines like leg press until later just so I can squeeze it into the routine whenever it's available. Unfortunately you should really do leg press first as it works multiple large muscles, but it can be difficult to do that unless the machine happens to be free when I start.

BTW spraying the machine when you're done is a really important part of gym etiquette, you don't want to forget to do that.
    Or strategize a good day to work legs. Friday is good because there are usually less people there compared to Monday/Tuesday. Also there are a variety of squats besides the barbell back squat you can implement to still work legs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is why I workout at 5am or when Football is on TV..lol.. I have to because I'll spend 45-60 in or in front of a rack - Yes I do it all for you people

What PISSES ME OFF is the DUMBa$$ who needs to do sets of lateral raises infront of all the dumbbells so no one else can get any of them. They get screamed at so beware
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    so I was at the gym and the only exercise I had left to do was leg press. There was a woman on the machine, so I sat down close by and started stretching. I was going to wait for her to get done, but she stayed on it a while and I didn't want to be the creepy person who sat and watched someone else work out. If I had another exercise to do, I would have left and come back, but I had already done everything. What do you do when someone is on the machine you want?

I usually either ask to work in or go do something else to occupy my time until that machine is free - bring a DB and do goblet squats near the press machine, do some band work, etc.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

This is why I workout at 5am or when Football is on TV..lol.. I have to because I'll spend 45-60 in or in front of a rack - Yes I do it all for you people

I go around 7AM (well, try to at least...this past week has been evenings ugh!) and it's way better than the evening. Really regretting not going this morning now just thinking of how packed it's gonna be tonight!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I am truly shocked nobody has recommended crop-dusting.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Somebody did. I think it was @jakep2323
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

Somebody did. I think it was jakep2323

Ah, I see how I didn't see it then.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I wonder how the hell they got inside my house.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Every time somebody asks me how many sets I have left, I automatically start worrying that I somehow cut in front of them.

lol. that never occurred to me. i guess sometimes my lovely passive-aggression filter still works. 'yo, i'm still using that'. that's what i'd expect someone to say under those circs. and if nobody does . . . well, shrug.

i have had people do the 'how many sets' in a way that somehow clearly implies 'because my workout's more valid than yours, so now you've been notified i'm in da house you should move away please.' but i'm pretty good at pretending i don't hear that subtext either :D
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    This entire discussion highlights why I don't work out at "the gym" anymore and set up a gym at home.

My current workout routine for DLs and SQTs is 10x3 and takes about 45 mins each, including warm-ups, work and rest periods to complete. I also take about 90 mins in my rack to do my upper body workout doing BP, PR (Pendlay Rows) and OHP.

No one is going to want to wait that long and I wouldn't want to "hog" a DL platform or squat rack that long at the gym. No problems taking as long as I need at home w/o worrying about such things.

^^^^Exactly. Man I love my garage gym...

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Spent some summers working on a farm. Nothing from a human going to scare me off :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Spent some summers working on a farm. Nothing from a human going to scare me off :)

I grew up on a small farm. Shovelled lots of *kitten* in my youth. Human smells still scare me off.