Ab workout ideas

Hello All,

In the 18 months Ive lost about 130 lbs. The majority of weight loss success has come from running. With that being said I have some loose skin in my stomach area that I want to tighten up but I have a hard time doing sit ups because when I to them it really irritates my tail bone. So does anyone have any ideas on how I can strengthen my core without traditional sit ups? I would still like to do a form of them but need some help. Also, I have tried putting extra cushion between my but and the floor and it doesnt help much.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    The bad news - Exercises don't target the skin layer. Ab exercises won't give you the results you want, sorry.

The good news - Loose skin often tightens up on its own within 2-3 years of losing the weight.

For strength training, i'd follow a normal, full-body program without modifying it. Good programs include New Rules of Lifting for Life, and Stronglifts. :+1:
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Agreed that the exercise wont effect the skin on top. I have some from having kids that I will probably never see go away unless I do a tummy tuck for it unfortunately. However, if you want to strengthen your core still and work that in still, you can do oblique crunches that wont hit your tailbone directly, reverse crunches and holding planks.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    As the posters above have pointed out, no amount of ab work will tighten up the skin. I would add that loose skin is much better than being obese though so don't worry about it.