Peloton- We regrets the purchase?

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is something I would not invest in, but curious about those who would get this. You are basically getting a commercial grade spin bike with a tablet attached. My only concern would be the continued online service and if the screen accepts other apps.

For the price you could get a very nice road bike, stationary trainer, tablet, and net service.

I dont know where you could get all of those things for $1995. Especially the "very nice road bike." For a very nice road bike you can expect to pay $1800 - $2000.

you could look at it that way - but even taking a more expensive bike into the equation - the first 3 are one time costs - so say $2000 for a bike, $350 for a fluid trainer (kurt Kinetic) and then $500 for a tablet - that is just shy of $3000 (I didn't include net service because most people already have that); but let's say $13 per month for Swift

Peloton - $2000 for the bike and $40 a month to subscribe

to breakeven comparing the bike/peloton - you would need to use that equipment for 25 months (so a shade over 2yrs) - however if you buy the peloton and decide after 6months you don't want it and want a real bike - you'd have double the costs
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    There is a new Peloton studio that just opened near us and my training group is planning to attend a session there this winter just for fun. Maybe you could find one in your area to allow you to try it before you decide.

Among the members of my training group, we have a variety of trainer/bike/app setups that we use for training all year long. As others have said, I think the idea of buying a bike/trainer/app set up may be a bit more effort, but would be better investment protection and give you the versatility of riding outdoors when time and weather allow.

• SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Raven-I am thankful for this topic as I too was considering it since I love biking but the fact that fittocycle mentioned internet speed may be a factor..... I've begun to question how it would work for us. I'm way outside the city in remote area.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    for me and having 2 little ones, i cant go outside biking. So was looking for options in house. Build your own seems sexy but just need to know which one works
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    just because you can't go biking outside now, doesn't mean that will always be the case...
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    My Sun Cruiser was about $380 and I find it a "very nice" road bike.

I tried a peloton recumbent at a hotel last week, it worked but no better or worse then whatever my LA Fitness had. I think you get a better workout and have a better time of it riding a real bike. Depends on if you're in a good biking area I suppose.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    Looking at this and the math shows that it pays itself off if used 3 times a week for a year.

You get paid for riding a spin bike?
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Raven-I am thankful for this topic as I too was considering it since I love biking but the fact that fittocycle mentioned internet speed may be a factor..... I've begun to question how it would work for us. I'm way outside the city in remote area.

if in a remote area - why not buy a bike and ride outside?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is something I would not invest in, but curious about those who would get this. You are basically getting a commercial grade spin bike with a tablet attached. My only concern would be the continued online service and if the screen accepts other apps.

For the price you could get a very nice road bike, stationary trainer, tablet, and net service.

I dont know where you could get all of those things for $1995. Especially the "very nice road bike." For a very nice road bike you can expect to pay $1800 - $2000.

you could look at it that way - but even taking a more expensive bike into the equation - the first 3 are one time costs - so say $2000 for a bike, $350 for a fluid trainer (kurt Kinetic) and then $500 for a tablet - that is just shy of $3000 (I didn't include net service because most people already have that); but let's say $13 per month for Swift

Peloton - $2000 for the bike and $40 a month to subscribe

to breakeven comparing the bike/peloton - you would need to use that equipment for 25 months (so a shade over 2yrs) - however if you buy the peloton and decide after 6months you don't want it and want a real bike - you'd have double the costs

I just looked it up. A Zwift-compatible trainer starts at about $250 (current sale price) although most are in the $500 to $1,500 range. I think what that means is (1) the trainer can measure power in some way, and (2) the resistance can be controlled through software, so when "the game" has you riding up a hill, it gets harder to pedal, and when you crest the hill, it gets easier. Both of those features are valuable whether you're using an immersive virtual reality world or not.

Most people already have a computer and internet access. You don't need to buy a tablet to dedicated to this. Maybe a fan for air flow (cooling). Obviously, you need a bike, too, and the OP doesn't have one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gspvBymj28

The reason I keep mentioning Zwift is that it's what cyclists use for this sort of thing. It has a strong user base. That means it will probably here for the long term. It also means you'll find other people to compete against or ride with.
  • raven56706
    Options

nah, just no time for leaving with my kiddies. im thinking of doing this early in the Am before they wake up.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up. A Zwift-compatible trainer starts at about $250 (current sale price) although most are in the $500 to $1,500 range. I think what that means is (1) the trainer can measure power in some way, and (2) the resistance can be controlled through software, so when "the game" has you riding up a hill, it gets harder to pedal, and when you crest the hill, it gets easier. Both of those features are valuable whether you're using an immersive virtual reality world or not.

It's a little more complicated than that.
    There are 3 ways Zwift and Trainerroad work:
    1. Smart Trainer. Wahoo KCKR, Elite Drivo, Cyclops Hammer. $900 min. These transmit power and can be controlled by the software to add resistance
    2. Power meter. Pretty self explanatory, but the software gets power info from the PM.
    3. Dumb trainer + speed & cadence sensor. Certain dumb trainers (I linked a bunch up above) have known power curves. By knowing what your trainer's resistance is, when the software knows your speed and cadence, it knows how much power you are putting out. These start at about $150-200
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

nah, just no time for leaving with my kiddies. im thinking of doing this early in the Am before they wake up.

What we're saying is they won't be that small forever. I've had my current road bike longer than I've been a dad, and my daughter just turned 9. The $800 I spent was well worth it.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

1. Smart Trainer. Wahoo KCKR, Elite Drivo, Cyclops Hammer. $900 min. These transmit power and can be controlled by the software to add resistance
    2. Power meter. Pretty self explanatory, but the software gets power info from the PM.
    3. Dumb trainer + speed & cadence sensor. Certain dumb trainers (I linked a bunch up above) have known power curves. By knowing what your trainer's resistance is, when the software knows your speed and cadence, it knows how much power you are putting out. These start at about $150-200

for the record, i use a dumb trainer :) mine is 6yrs old and still going strong
  • raven56706
    Options

What we're saying is they won't be that small forever. I've had my current road bike longer than I've been a dad, and my daughter just turned 9. The $800 I spent was well worth it.

oh totally but the chances of me biking outside are slim to none. Where i live doesnt provide that? im looking for a good indoor cardio solution. Bicycle or cycling can possibly provide that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you're that desperate to get a stationary bike, I'd look at a Wattbike, and an online subscription.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying this!
  • raven56706
    Options
    can someone dumb it down for me if possible :)

the things i would need to get the same thing as a peloton?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    can someone dumb it down for me if possible :)

the things i would need to get the same thing as a peloton?

Here are 3 different setups that are in use by members of my training group.

1. My rig: a) CycleOps Fluid Trainer (a "dumb" trainer) $250. b) Wahoo Speed/Cadence Sensor $60. c) Heart rate monitor is integrated into with my garmin watch ($250) d)Power Meter= NONE. e) Trainerroad app $12/month or $99 year. I display app on my Windows PC Note: Trainerroad provides a feature called "Virtual Power" by taking information from my speed/cadence sensor and combining it with known resistance of the CycleOps trainer and turning that information into a Power number (WATTS). Kinda geeky, I know. :)

2. Friend #1 a) Wahoo Kicker trainer $1100. This is a trainer that mounts to your bike in place of back wheel. A Direct Drive setup. b&d) Speed/cadence/power is measured by this device. c) Heart Rate via Garmin 920xt $250. d) CycleOps virtual trainer app. Think it is $8/month, not sure. iPad used as display.

3 Friend #2 a) Wahoo Kicker SNAP trainer $475 on sale. This is a smart trainer that does NOT replace your bike's back wheel. items B, C, D) same setup as friend #1. iPad used as display.

The apps are displayed either on a Tablet or PC. The software apps that we currently use are Trainerroad, The Sufferfest series and CycleOps Virtual Training. We've seen Zwift, but haven't used it except to try it out at bike shop demo.

My 2 cents on cycling apps: If you're not driven by training for cycling performance improvements, you may not enjoy Trainerroad as much as an application that provides more of an outdoor cycling simulation, such as Zwift.

OH, last thing......You'll need a bike, too. ;)

• dtcjem
    dtcjem Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I went through the same thoughts. And went with a road bike because I could use it indoors and out. Currently it is on a trainer and I use ZWIFT and TrainerRoad. Both excellent at improving my fitness, and riding as well as making my time on the trainer fly by. After using both, I find myself using ZWIFT more...great community too.2wvv2p9d48fe.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As I'm not a cyclist - I just have a simple stationary at home - I'm not entirely sure why I've been following this thread. But it's been somewhat fascinating.

One question that I have: @raven56706 Why, exactly, are you looking for this particular type of setup? I know you've said that you want something for home, and you won't ride outside. Is there a reason a ~$200 stationary bike with a set of pre-programs and possibly user-programmable (at least manually adjustable resistance) and readout wouldn't work? For instance, my bike at home is just a Pro-Form (XP, I think?). I can manually adjust the resistance from 1-10, or it has 10 programs. It also has an SD slot, so I can add i-fit programs, should I want. It's not as sexy as the setup described in this thread, but it does the job. I don't know for sure if the Calorie count is correct, but I'm sure a Calorie-counting HRM would work for this.

If the Peloton or like is what you really want, great. I'm just not sure it sounds like it's what you need.