QR codes on food packaging with calories and macros

Hello all. This is my first forum post here but I have been using MFP on and off over the years to help me with my fitness and health goals.

I had an idea this morning that I think would make our lives a whole lot easier in tracking our calories but it is going to require food manufacturers to get on-board with it. I'd like to see QR codes added to food packaging that you code scan with your smartphone to import calories, carbs, protein and fat in perhaps CSV format or something. So rather than having to hand jam everything in, or search a database (which is great btw) we'd be able to just scan food packaging and have it import right into our phones.

I sent an email out to the top 10 US food manufacturers using their respective contact forms. Below is the message I sent if you would like to get on board and petition them as well:

To Whom It May Concern,

Happy New Year! I hope 2017 is treating you well so far. As the holidays pass and the new year begins a lot of people set their focus on their health and fitness goals for the upcoming year. As a food manufacturer, you know you have a responsibility to your customers to show nutrition facts on your packaging. One of the ways we all can become healthier is by tracking calories and macronutrient intake. This is wonderful, but I am going to suggest a way that we can take that one step further.

Is there any way that you could provide QR codes that contain CSV (comma separated values) information about calories, protein, carbs and fat? This QR code could be scanned with a phone and easily imported into fitness apps. A simple barcode could potentially help save lives.

Here’s to a happy and healthy new year. Thank you for your time. I really hope that you consider my recommendation.

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    There is barcode scanning which is available for the app versions of mfp.