Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Could somebody recommend a good heart rate monitor? There are so many of them on the market now it's difficult to choose.

I'm guessing that one that straps to your chest is way better and/or more accurate than one the one on your wrist?

Please provide some recommendations and why you're recommending it.

Thank you!

Replies

• FindingCynSporation
    Options
    I don't have experience with other trackers, but I have the Fitbit Blaze (and used to have the Fitbit Charge HR) and I love it. I'm able to enter in specific exercises, such as treadmill, elliptical, weights, etc.) and it is continually showing my heart rate and what zone I'm in. (Fat burning, calorie burning, peak heart rate). The reason why I like the one on my wrist is because I can see it clearly and know what my heart rate is at that exact time. (Again, I have no experience with a chest strap one, and if they have the same capabilities or not!) Just my two cents!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lkokot wrote: »
    Please provide some recommendations and why you're recommending it.

Any recommendations that you get are meaningless without understanding what you're hoping to gain from having one. There is little point in recommending a device that's appropriate for a triathlete or ultra runner if you're only using workout DVDs

As far as accuracy is concerned, again it depends on what you're using it for. Chest straps are slightly more accurate than optical for instantaneous readings of HR, but for the vast majority of people I'd argue that's of very limited value. Particularly if you're looking at estimating calories with it.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Could somebody recommend a good heart rate monitor?

Sure: Garmin HRM-Tri, unless you plan to use it for pool swimming. You'll need something to deal with the data it gives you.

I like that one because it will measure running dynamics (eg vertical ratio, L/R balance) and it will store and forward your HR data while you swim in open water.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Following i am trying to replace my polar ft4. It broke. I bought a iron man timex watch and it was too confusing.. so I am back to the drawing board.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for something 24/7 or just when exercising? I have both a Garmin VivoActive HR that I wear all the time and a Polar chest strap that I wear during exercising. I can do without the chest strap except I like to see my HR zones during the activity. I don't have it synced to here. But I do have the wrist one syncing.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for something 24/7 or just when exercising? I have both a Garmin VivoActive HR that I wear all the time and a Polar chest strap that I wear during exercising. I can do without the chest strap except I like to see my HR zones during the activity. I don't have it synced to here. But I do have the wrist one syncing.

Does the Garmin pinpoint your calorie burn for exercise? Is it easy to set up and understand?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    @mygrl4mee any Garmin will tell you a number of calories you've burned, but these aren't medical devices. Unless you use the Garmin on a bike with a power meter, it's an estimate, not a measurement.
  • quartknee11
    quartknee11 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using the polar A360 and love it to death. You can even take it swimming with you.
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations.

To give you some background; I'm looking for something that I would only use while exercising and/or riding my mountain bike.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you're just looking for something cheap and easy to measure HR, I have a Mio ALPHA 2 Heart Rate Watch and I really like it. There is software you can download onto your phone, but I've never done it: I use it strictly for HR when I'm running. It sells for around 60 bucks on Amazon. Good luck!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations.

To give you some background; I'm looking for something that I would only use while exercising and/or riding my mountain bike.

Garmin Edge 1000 because it supports topographic and trail maps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

In that case I'd go for a GPS; Edge range or one of the Tri watches.
  • lkokot
    Options
    Thank you all for your recommendations!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use a garmin forerunner 230 with a garmin chest strap hrm. I find them to be far more accurate than the wrist mounted trackers with hrm's built in. You can also add on a cadence sensor for biking as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options
    +1 to the DCRainmaker link from @PAV8888 above. Getting input here is good, but don't make a decision without looking there.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,800 Member
    Options
    I use to use a polar with chest strap, but lately just been using my fitbit HR and it's really close to what my chest strap would read
  • lkokot
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

This looks interesting; do you have one? $600 is a lot to invest tho.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you're just looking for a basic heart rate monitor you can't beat Polar. They usually run between $50-$100. In my experience, yes, the monitors w/the strap are more accurate.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I have a lifetrak core. It's the most basic model, but counts steps, has a heart rate monitor and "work out mode" which counts your calories. Pro's: Cheap (I think I paid 45 for it), easy to track heart rate during workout, pedometer appears to be accurate, you can also view your weekly progress for your steps. Battery lasts a long time (I've had it for over a year.. still running) Con's: Does not connect to any device or app, and I'm not confident of the accuracy of the calories burned during workout mode. Watch is chunky. Lifetrak does carry a line of "smart" trackers though if you would like one that connects to a device. Hope that helps!