Cardio plan help

Options
I need help figuring out a cardio plan.

My main goal is the habit, so I want to keep it fairly simple, but if I'm going the gym I want to make good use of my time.

I can do 45min at a decent pace, so I want to start there. 3x week.

The issue is I don't really know where to start. I just sort of play around and it feels like a decent workout, but I want to be sure.

I don't want to be over exerting myself, but I don't want to be under either.

And how do I know it's time to level up?

If the details of my recent workouts will help let me know.

Thanks!

Replies

• zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Note: I do elliptical and treadmill, but no running/jogging. I don't know why, but jogging is an alien movement to my body. Not concerned at the moment.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    zeldon919 wrote: »
    I don't want to be over exerting myself, but I don't want to be under either.

What would it mean to over or under exert yourself? You don't want to fall dead of a heart attack? Don't want to be sore the next day? I don't think anybody can tell you how hard to work out without at least knowing what your goals are, and your current level of fitness with regard to them.
  • tomthebom1
    tomthebom1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually go on the ellipical trainer, bike , treadmill then rowing machine . All for ten minutes each.
    Given you a total of 40mins.
    Record distance, step etc and then try to better it next visit.
    Your also doing away with boredom being on one machine for to long.
    Hope this helps
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    elliptical and treadmill are fine. Pacing is subjective and depends on the person, their present levels of fitness, and their cardio fitness levels.
    Seems to me that the pace you presently utilize is one where you are very comfortable with. Building the habit is super important so I would leave it at that for now until you really have made it part of your life. it is just kind of natural to know when you are ready to push the pace, or up the tension on the machine. Keep track of distance covered and times so that you know that you are improving.

I would suggest if you are looking to boost it a bit, then maybe throw in some sprints. Every 3 minutes or so, throw in a minute where you either up the tension in the machine, or increase your pace.
    Its a great way to burn extra calories and improve fitness levels.

good luck
  • quartknee11
    quartknee11 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Try HIIT training so you're running but not running for long periods of time. Run as fast as you can 30s-1min and walk for 2 minutes continue until your preferred cardio time is.

Or you could play around with the incline and speed while you're walking and do intervals that way.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what equipment is available to you but I generally use the elliptical for cardio and select a program that targets a good heart rate based on my stats. Keeps me from getting my heart rate into dangerous ranges while still ensuring I'm pouring in sweat when I'm done. After a few sessions you will have an idea of the distance you covered in a set amount of time, start trying to beat that by upping your pace. It's a good way to make sure you're pushing forward