Confused

Options
So when it comes to tdee to put on 1lb of weight you have to eat your tdee and an extra 3,500 calories? Or say you eat at 2400 tdee then just the extra to make it up to 3,500 caleries?..

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    3,500 calories ~= 1 lb. So you need to eat 3,500 over your TDEE to gain a pound. Not going to do it in a day, but if you eat 500 over your TDEE (so 2900 total) you will gain a pound a week. On average, maybe not every week or every weigh in.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    To gain a pound of body weight, you eat 3,500 calories above your TDEE. For instance, if your TDEE is 2000 calories, and you want to gain a pound in a day, you will eat 5,500 calories. If you're looking to gain a pound of weight per week, you would eat your TDEE + 500 calories (3500/7 days = 500 calories a day extra needed to gain 1 pound in a week), which would be 2500 calories if your TDEE is 2000 calories.
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    To gain a pound of body weight, you eat 3,500 calories above your TDEE. For instance, if your TDEE is 2000 calories, and you want to gain a pound in a day, you will eat 5,500 calories. If you're looking to gain a pound of weight per week, you would eat your TDEE + 500 calories (3500/7 days = 500 calories a day extra needed to gain 1 pound in a week), which would be 2500 calories if your TDEE is 2000 calories.

Thank you for explaining, I'm not trying to put on weight I'm trying to lose and I have over eaten my caleries x3 days this week but still under my tdee. I was trying to work out whether I should expect to see a gain so I don't feel disheartened when I say on sunday

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Thank you for explaining, I'm not trying to put on weight I'm trying to lose and I have over eaten my caleries x3 days this week but still under my tdee. I was trying to work out whether I should expect to see a gain so I don't feel disheartened when I say on sunday

You might see a few pounds of water weight gain, particularly if you ate more sodium or carbs than usual (or ate a very high volume of food and haven't pooped it out yet). It'll go down after a few days of returning to your typical diet.
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

So my tdee is 2443 x7= 17,1001 over a week and I have eaten 11945 over a week so that means a difference of 5,146 over the week so I should be on target for approx 1.5lbs?

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

So my tdee is 2443 x7= 17,1001 over a week and I have eaten 11945 over a week so that means a difference of 5,146 over the week so I should be on target for approx 1.5lbs?

Yes, but. Weight loss isn't linear so you may not lose a damn thing this week, in fact you might gain. It's one of the annoying things about weight loss. A bit of a diet change, too much salt leading to water retention, couple of days not pooping and boom, the scale is up.

So please understand you may not be down 1.5 lb at the end of the week. But, the math does work on average over time.

I did a reasonable job over Christmas, and still maintained my deficit. My weight (I weigh daily) bounced around from 276 on the 24th to 280 on the 29th down to 273 this morning. Just the way it works. It sucks, but please expect it.