Simply fitboard

Options
Has anyone ever used this simply fit-board? I have one I just wanna know everyone input and if anyone knows how many calories you burn?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What do you actually DO on this device? Stand and twist? That's all I can figure from what I've seen. Not too many calories burned. It MIGHT help strengthen your core, but there are lots of other ways to do that. (I have not used this product.)
  • agriff1991
    agriff1991 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You twist on it. It works your abs and they have a DVD I use to so I workout my whole body with it. It is actually fun. Normally I hate workout dvds but this is a fun workout to me!
  • CassaJay23
    CassaJay23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just got mine and I'm wondering the same thing!
  • agriff1991
    Options
    I do love it! I just did 30 mins a little bit ago and i really do feel it. They lady on the DVD says you can burn up to 100 calories per 10 mins doing a basic twist
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I do a 30 min hard core workout video that has my pulse at 175 approx, and my hrm estimates 220calories for the whole thing and I always expect that is over estimating.

100cals/ten mins is closer to what a full on sprint would average

However for the core strength of benefit? I say keep it up cause it sounds it definitely works that!!!
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I did 20 mins on mine this morning and my HRM said I'd burned 161 cals. I bought it for my 7 yr old, because where we live there aren't that many things we can do outside and she will play on this for 5-10 min stretches every couple hours so she's getting some exercise when we can't do anything else. I use it when I don't have time for my DDPYoga. LOL
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    lol I had asked about this back in November when a coworker brought it in. I thought it was an artsy serving dish.
  • agriff1991
    Options
    Wraiythe wrote: »
    I did 20 mins on mine this morning and my HRM said I'd burned 161 cals. I bought it for my 7 yr old, because where we live there aren't that many things we can do outside and she will play on this for 5-10 min stretches every couple hours so she's getting some exercise when we can't do anything else. I use it when I don't have time for my DDPYoga. LOL

Yeah I feel like I burn a lot doing it! I wake up the next morning and my body hurts from exercising with it. I love it!
  • babidol1
    babidol1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just found out that according to the Colorado State University if you use the board in a HIIT manner for about 4 minutes you can get a 400 calorie after burn . That's awesome.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    babidol1 wrote: »
    Just found out that according to the Colorado State University if you use the board in a HIIT manner for about 4 minutes you can get a 400 calorie after burn . That's awesome.

400 additional calories just because you twisted around on a board? Where's the link to this Colorado state university statement?
  • shortyrock_78
    shortyrock_78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    agriff1991 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used this simply fit-board? I have one I just wanna know everyone input and if anyone knows how many calories you burn?

I think what was said that if you do HIIT it can burn up to 400 more calories in 24 hours. I used my heart rate monitor today when using the board and it estimated about 100 calories per 10 minutes used. But that was a mix of twisting and weights.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I laugh every time I see the commercials - just looks so gimicky
  • wamela
    wamela Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping it is as fun as the commercials say! Mine will be here Wednesday.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do love it! I just did 30 mins a little bit ago and i really do feel it. They lady on the DVD says you can burn up to 100 calories per 10 mins doing a basic twist
    That's like believing the Zumba claims that you burn up to 600 calories in a class.

it's just absurd.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

I think what was said that if you do HIIT it can burn up to 400 more calories in 24 hours. I used my heart rate monitor today when using the board and it estimated about 100 calories per 10 minutes used. But that was a mix of twisting and weights.

One of those things burns 100 calories in 10 minutes the day after unicorns start grazing in my backyard.
  • momtomaddy27
    momtomaddy27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have one, not really getting big calorie burns but it's fun to use while I'm watching television.
    wlsmdpwqrazd.png
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How many calories anyone burns doing anything depends a lot on how much you weigh and how fit you are. An obese woman running full out for ten min is not going to burn the same as an olympic sprinter doing the same - she will burn more than him, as she has more weight to move and is not conditioned to the activity so likely has a much higher heart rate etc.

So it is very possible some people will burn 100 cal in ten min, some more, some less, some lots less, etc. Cant compare that kind of thing.

This says nothing about the board :) its like saying how many calories does biking burn? Depends on the rider and what they are doing with it! Going uphill? Coasting? etc. The instructions for the board show much more exercises than just the "basic twist", so dont assume the calorie burns are solely for that on every claim. They also have pushups, squats etc on it. Like any other exercise "tool" - you get out what you put in to it.

The premise of the board is instability - this engages more muscles than the same activity alone. So the "basic twist" is not the same as standing on the ground and twisting back and forth. Plus you are supposed to bend your knees some to engage quads etc. This idea is exactly the same thing my personal trainer did anytime something got to easy for me - he had me do the same thing on something unstable (i.e. pushups with my hands on bosu or weighted balls, situps on a big exercise ball, curls while standing on a bosu etc. ) Instability makes everything harder.

Its not all bad - and if it is "fun" you are more likely to do it consistently, which is a win-win for anyone.
  • carbonatedcarly
    carbonatedcarly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fitboard! I started out using it about 20 min a day and now I do 45 min to 1 hr. Since it's not an option on the exercise section I supplemented aerobics with 6-8 inch step. That's what I think it's most comparable to.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fitboard! I started out using it about 20 min a day and now I do 45 min to 1 hr. Since it's not an option on the exercise section I supplemented aerobics with 6-8 inch step. That's what I think it's most comparable to.

How do you keep yourself occupied / entertained for that long? Is it noisy at all?
  • NickyMich
    NickyMich Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Actually you can burn a ton of weight in a Zumba class. Like someone posted earlier, it depends on all kinds of factors. Especially on how hard you work. I wear a Fitbit Charge 2 in my 60 minute Zumba class and last night I burned 833 calories. I am a fairly fit female 5ft9in. and weight 160 pounds. I usually average between 700-800 calories in a class and about another 200 after burn in the next hour. So I'm sure if you added some extra moves to the fit board you could definitely burn more calories. I do agree that it would more effective for toning though.

JoRocka wrote: »
    That's like believing the Zumba claims that you burn up to 600 calories in a class.

it's just absurd.