Vegan to vegetarian transitioning.

Options
Not exactly weight loss related, but I've been vegan for a year and I want to start eating dairy sometimes. Does anyone have any tips for doing it? I'm worried about skin problems and bloating.

Replies

• veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just reintroduce it slowly.
  • marishkarip520
    marishkarip520 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Or just get the feeling of dairy by eating almond ice cream, yogurt or milk or the coconut variety
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake! It brings everyone back to the dark side.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Or just get the feeling of dairy by eating almond ice cream, yogurt or milk or the coconut variety

I’m sorry but that makes zero sense....

On the contrary though I was the same way. Eliminated dairy from my diet 3 years ago for skin. Reintroduced it about 2 months ago....my skin has never been clearer (knock on wood), but I didn’t have any breakouts reintroducing it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Have you shown any sign in the past of lactate intolerance? If you tolerated dairy fine as recently as a year ago, I'd suggest just reintroducing it slowly, and perhaps starting with live-culture fermented dairy products like yogurt or kefir in small amounts. Eat a little, see how it goes, if things seem tolerable increase the amount gradually; if things continue OK, start gradually re-introducing other dairy products.

Some of the adaptation to new foods can be related to gut microbiome adaptation. A small study I read suggested that vegetarian to omnivore adaptation (or vice-versa) may be fairly rapid, like a couple of weeks. (With apologies, I don't have a cite for the study.) It seems like re-adding dairy ought to be similar, but that's a pure guess.