Would you trust an overweight trainer?

Options

Replies

• humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would be more comfortable with an overweight trainer than a thin trainer if it were me.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Just because someone may not practice what they preach, does not mean that they are not a good "preacher".
    There are many good coaches, teachers and gurus who aren't that good at what they teach but are great at getting the point across. So, Yes. Why not?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a picture of Mark Rippletoe? I would love to have him as a trainer, but it isn't because of his buff body, but his knowledge. How a trainer looks is less important than whether they know what they need to know, and know how to motivate you.

Same with Dan John, one of the best in the world.

What is his background, experience and education? Person that has 20 years experience, exercise science degree ,etc i would have no problem working with the person if a bit overweight. 2 months experience and an on line certiffiction, no.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Probably not......I also wouldn't go to a dentist with bad teeth, I wouldn't listen to an adulterous preacher, or take piano lessons from someone who is tone deaf. Practice what you preach.
    HOWEVER, if they themselves were also losing weight, midway through their journey and realized that they enjoyed it and became a personal trainer, then probably yes.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If the trainer was fit and only interested in themselves and not the person they are meant to be training would you use them. Properly not. A trainers job is to train you not themselves
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of trainers at my gym who are totally ripped but when you hear them actually talk to their clients and watch issues with form go un-corrected you realise that what someone looks like has nothing to do with their abilities to be great trainers/teachers.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, I'm deemed a bit overweight right now and have more clients than the most fit trainer in our gym. Why? Because I know a lot more than he does and am much better at assessment and designing the right programs for people.
    There are lots of people who are in shape who are great trainers and lots of people who aren't in great shape who are great trainers. And vice versa.
    The best way to assess a trainer IMO is seeing the results of their clients.

Reminds me of the riddle about going to a barber shop where there are two barbers, one has a great haircut and the other has a terrible haircut. Which do you choose? If you're smart, you pick the one with the terrible haircut...because you realize each barber would have to cut the other's hair.

I have a friend who is a trainer. I don't PT with her, but I've taken some of her classes. In the past year she has gone through a difficult time taking care of a terminally ill family member. Between stress-related eating and not having as much time to work out herself, she's put on weight. Does that make her any less knowledgable about what is good for her clients? Of course not. But, if I just met her now, in the shape she's currently in, I might look at her and think "how is SHE going to motivate me?" On the other hand, some might prefer a trainer who seems less intimidating.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    A better question is "is the trainer fit" weight is not a direct correlation to fitness.

Strength and speed are more germane.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who ended up on the cover of People magazine a few years ago – their annual “I Lost Half My Weight!” edition where they showcase people who have lost massive amounts of weight. She does fitness competitions now and is a certified personal trainer, but she started taking personal training clients before she’d gotten to the “end” of her weight loss journey. So at one point, she was an overweight trainer, but she’d learned what she needed to do and was applying the lessons she was teaching others to herself as well. People I’m sure looked at her the same way they are judging the trainer where you are, but you never know…maybe he was 100 pounds heavier not so long ago…
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Not for weight loss.

Body building and lifting would be another matter. Lots of overweight people who can lift incredible amounts of weight. Also assessment of lifting technique is primarily a matter of observation.

You don't have to be skinny to do that but, if you are giving advice about how to eat well and lose weight, you should be able to walk the walk to give the talk about that. Just my POV.
    I've trained body builders and fitness competitors. Trust that I'm not in their shape at all. Experience teaching it has nothing much to do with how I look now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I would be more interested in the results their clients were getting from the trainers advice and guidance.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yea, if they knew what they were talking about. You can't judge a book by it's cover.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I personally am more interested in their actual knowledge and ability to coach me in whatever it is I want to achieve. I work with a trainer and he has helped me be a better cyclist and improved my Olympic lifts among other things...his ability to do that has nothing to do with how lean he is (though is is lean) so I guess in that regard, it wouldn't really matter.

That said, i don't think I've ever seen a grossly overweight or out of shape trainer. My first trainer would put on a bit of weight in the winter and be a bit over fat, but he was still in awesome shape and he would ultimately cut it...but that's about as close as I've come to ever seeing an overweight trainer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I would, but I've never used a trainer for weight loss advice. I've gone to a trainer when I want someone to help me with a weights-based workout routine, give me tips on that, so on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I would. Or rather them being overweight wouldn't be reason enough for me to not trust them. Not choosing to do something doesn't mean you don't know how to do it.

Doctors, nurses and other medical professionals don't always do what they should for their health. That doesn't mean they can't treat the medical problems of others.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If I interviewed them and they weren't spouting woo, then there would be no issue.

Many experts in various fields don't practice what they preach but are very successful in helping others. I have worked with several.

ETA: and there may very well be a good reason for them to not be in top condition.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There's also the consideration that many strongman type athletes look pudgy. As do some on a bulk with clothes on or unflexed. What trainers look like doesn't necessarily reflect what they can do/know.
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've never used a trainer but it wouldn't stop me from hiring him. As long as he has the knowledge and I see results, who cares.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    My history teacher wasn't around in 1066.