focusing on lifting - increased appetite?

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's every chance your calorie needs haven't changed that much - it's just feeling harder right now.
    Calories in lifting are (mostly) in relation of total volume of weight lifted but different styles of training feel much harder.
    So if for example you do drop sets or super sets but only lift the same volume as when you lift in a "normal" style it will feel much harder (and possibly trigger more hunger) but the calorie burn is going to be roughly the same.
    You are going to have to wait a few weeks to see if your volume lifted and maintenance calories have actually changed.

Don't be freaked out by this throwaway comment....
    pretty much impossible to build muscle without gaining weight, unless you are referring to recomp but even there you gain some and then lose some.

There's a pervasive group think in bodybuilding circles that you need a calorie surplus to build muscle which is incorrect for the vast majority of people.
    As Eric Helms puts it....
    "recomposition is normal. It happens – less so in trained individuals, but much more in untrained, new lifters."

I'm still recomping at maintenance and I first started lifting in 1974 so not what you would call a "newbie". :)
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    is there any specific post workout meals/drinks that you find helpful with hunger. i don't take protein powders but I do high protein yogurt smoothies myself
    I feel ok today, it lasted about 2 days. Back to the gym tonight I will see if it happens again Sunday/Monday
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    is there any specific post workout meals/drinks that you find helpful with hunger. i don't take protein powders but I do high protein yogurt smoothies myself
    I feel ok today, it lasted about 2 days. Back to the gym tonight I will see if it happens again Sunday/Monday

Any protein snack or meal. I typically eat dinner after i workout and use a protein shake before hand.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You added more exercise in, which burns more calories, so you'll require more calories (assuming all other variables are the same).

I am using fitbit so according to them, I don't need that much more. I walk little bit less. I eat my calories most days, like +-150 but it evens out.

I slept 8.5 hours last night. My normal sleep is 7 hours so I just may need to take extra day off. I am doing this program since 19th of December but had a lot of time off work, its only this back since I added my work (sitting mainly) I feel drained & hungry.

SLEEP!!!! This might be a big factor. I am so hungry when I sleep less than 8 hours, and with extra lifting, you are probably needing extra sleep right now. If you're feeling drained, you may want to scale back and make sure you get some full nights and some rest days. You need rest and sleep to repair and get stronger.
  • HappyGrape
    Options
    I was thinking little bit about what's the main goal question and all comments

Honestly, I am 38 and my absolute main goal is sustainability and lifestyle I enjoy that keeps me happy and healthy. I am not after flat abs, bikini photo shoot or anything that requires me to focus on how quick I get results. I want to find a format of working out that keeps my body in reasonably good shape

I tried doing 3 day full body weekly for the last year but with this approach I end up being with really bad doms for 2 days and dread going back to the gym. I end up doing no more than 2 workouts weekly. I have been trying full body weights, good programs for few years but have not had the results I want for upper body. I decided to try something different and see how it goes. My doms were substantially less after the first week with the new split workout plan

I am only doing split workouts since 20th of December and already feel great about my upper body progress. The difference is I had many days off work end of the year and I didn't feel any spike of hunger or tiredness. Back to work I need to play around with what feels comfortable

The other thing that plays on my mind is - I am not very sure I am ready for maintenance. I am started the new workout program at my upper range of happy and when I step on the scale and I see pound up I panic. Perhaps small deficit some days will make sense for me.

• HappyGrape
    Options
    I am walking about 15000 steps daily, I may need to reduce this little when increasing time spend in the gym. I think I will try 12000 for next week

I will shoot for 200 calories deficit daily for one week, and I will try to cut some of the treat calories as glass of wine or dried fruit & crackers & cheese and focus on satiating meals

I will take extra days off working out if needed. It's easier to do 3 days on, one off when you are not in work. When I add work and looking after my son & homework etc... it may not be adding to much in terms of calorie burn but being busy impacts physically how tired I am and that's life. I may try something like pull day, leg day, day off, push day, day off, repeat and eat more on leg day as the suggestion by JoeMacCready makes a lot of sense to past experience.

The funny thing is I was doing 3 days on one off since 19th of December, including my step count but there was no work or homework with my son, commute, pick up and drop offs so a lot more time to rest. Now back to work (desk job)I find that schedule little too much

It was very helpful to read your comments and suggestions and it lead me to think about what my goal is and gave me good suggestions on what can I do. Thanks - please keep them coming

• trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options

The other thing that plays on my mind is - I am not very sure I am ready for maintenance. I am started the new workout program at my upper range of happy and when I step on the scale and I see pound up I panic. Perhaps small deficit some days will make sense for me.

I'm the same, maintenance calories feel really scary for me. I'm compromising (on a trial basis) by eating at maintenance on lifting days, and 200 below maintenance on rest days. I've been told this works, I've been told this doesn't work, but for my current sanity it's a good compromise!
  • HappyGrape
    Options
    Day 2 is lower body? If I had to guess I'd say that is "emptying your tank". Leg workouts use a ton of energy and you should eat more that day. I'm a 200lb male in a surplus to gain muscle so a little different than you, but just for reference my macros on leg day (twice a week) are 500c, 150f, 300p. Not applicable to you, I know; the point is leg days drain you. I'd say throw some extra carbs in at least; try a post-workout muffin on for size :smile: Don't worry, those calories go straight to the booty.

@JoeMacCready defo leg day! It's little better now thought, I hope the worse is over.