Which of these is better?

Options
I know, stupid question BUT

Which of these do you think is the better option for breakfast
A - 1 wholemeal english muffin (Cal: 131, Carb:21, Sugar: 1, Fat:2, Protein: 6)
B - 1 Strawberry Chobani Yogurt (Cal:120, Carb:19, Sugar:15, Fat:0, Protein:12)

I'm undecided whether its better to go the lower sugar option OR go for the higher protein option?

Thoughts?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No one food is good or bad, you have to look at your total diet.

Which one do you feel like eating? That would be what I would choose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    depends what else you're eating...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what you're doing--do you exercise alot? In that case the higher protein might benefit you. You need to experiment on what keeps you full and on track. At the end of the day take a look at your macros and you can adjust the next day.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They'd both leave me hungry 20 minutes later so I wouldn't do either. But look at your day as a whole, decide off either or both fit in with your goals, does one leave you more satisfied, do you like one more than the other. A dry English muffin is just sad. Slap an egg and some meat and some veggies on that bad boy and I'm in.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would go for both, lol. The Chobani cups are not enough yogurt for me.

I have 1 actual cup (227 g, not those rip-off 5-6 oz individual cups; I buy the big 2lb tub of yogurt) of Stonyfield Farms Lowfat French Vanilla Yogurt. Sometimes I have the same brand Greek Yogurt. Sometimes I mix the two. Always topped with a serving of Whole Grain Total (crumbled to be like granola). About an hour or two later I may have a piece of fruit or an English muffin to tide me over till lunch.

• steingrunnen
    steingrunnen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For me the answer is A, but that's because I'd be starving within an hour if all I had was a yoghurt.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Issa_12 wrote: »

I'm undecided whether its better to go the lower sugar option OR go for the higher protein option?

Thoughts?

Either, with something else like a hard boiled egg, or something. Neither would be enough breakfast for me or enough fat.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

I would definitely go with the yogurt. Then again, I'm constantly trying to get a ton of protein in and that has better protein to calorie ratio.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I would eat both a and b and add in a banana
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Not a yogurt fan so I would go with the muffin. Neither are "better" though.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    this
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Not a yogurt fan so I would go with the muffin. Neither are "better" though.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I try to have 200-300 calories for breakfast. It looks like I could eat both of those together instead of choosing between them.
    If I had to choose just one I'd probably have the yogurt because I often have yogurt for breakfast.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would pick either as they are. Initially, I thought the yogurt because it had more protein and that matters more for me as a morning meal, but the sugar content and no fat means I would be hungry an hour later. So maybe the english muffin just because it means I could add some fat and protein as a topping.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it really depends on the context. With any of these kinds of questions though, I think it's best to experiment on yourself and note how your body responds to food.

Also, do you already know that you're comfortable with such a low calorie breakfast? I ask only because I think when new to restricting calories, some like to go as low as possible. Not saying that's you, but just that if it is, it doesn't need to be that painful. :)
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would do a along with a straight Protein (beef/chicken), assuming a has a high fiber content.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    lks802 wrote: »
    I would do a along with a straight Protein (beef/chicken), assuming a has a high fiber content.

They mean what else you're eating the rest of the day, and which of those choices helps you hit your macro/calorie goals better within that context.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Neither one has enough macros one way or the other to make this worth debating.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Both. Along with a fried egg, a slice of cheese and a slice of Canadian bacon on top of the muffin. And maybe a bit of granola cereal added to the yogurt. And a glass of milk to wash it down.