Having a terrible time kicking sweets the curb!

95AM97
95AM97 Posts: 16 Member
I get horrible cravings for sweets and carbs. I'm trying to keep these two at a minimum to slowly eliminate my strong desire for them but it hasn't been easy. What will work? Must I lay off them for like 2 weeks completely or until the urge goes away?

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    I have the same problem. I had to COMPLETELY go off sweets about 3 weeks ago and my body is getting better at not craving it. I gave up sodas, juices, sugar in all my sauces, carbs...I am hoping that letting go will keep me fit longer and build better habits.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Have you heard of the food blog Chocolate Covered Katie? I just recently saw this recommended on MFP and I am so glad I found it. VERY healthy sweets. It's a healthy dessert blog. Well organized, delicious, and very easy to adapt with the ingredients that you want. It's great for a girl with a sweet tooth! :wink:
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    My craving for sweet stuff had basically disappeared after the first month of healthy eating. Yogurt and fruit are always great for a sweet tooth. I like 0% fat free Greek yogurt, then throw in some strawberries and grapes. Really sweet, healthy and low calorie, what more could you ask for?!
  • 95AM97
    The thing is that I don't really eat the bad kind of sweets. I eat fresh fruits, dried fruits, yogurts, whole grain breads, healthy cereals, etc...I just eat too much of them because I'm always craving them. It's like my body doesn't get satisfied with the reasonable serving. I guess what it comes down to is Will Power! And maybe just take a break from the sweets and carbs even if they are the healthy kind, just so that my body learns to survive without them.

Thank you for your replies! @ aquarabbit, I will check that website out, @ EndGame, I love yogurt with granola and fruit, I just eat them too much and that's a problem, @emhunter, I think that's what I'm going to do, cut sweets and carbs out completely for 2 weeks...it won't be easy but I'ma try!
  • lkgarza
    lkgarza Posts: 56 Member
    You should try to cut them out and see how you feel. Although, maybe just focus on one or two trigger foods and not just everything carb/sweet....just a though. I find when I do this, I learn about my habits and my emotional state :) NO fun at all, but so good to do. You will feel stronger in the end!! Good luck!!
  • 95AM97
    Thanks for your response, Ikgarza. Two trigger foods....hmmmm...that would be bread of any kind including healthy cereal (that's kinda like bread no?) Bread and cereal really get me pumping for more carbs and sweets. I think I'll start buy cutting those out for a couple of weeks.
  • SmartSysta
    SmartSysta Posts: 18 Member
    I curbed my sweet cravings by drinking 7-10 fruit smoothies a day. I love sweets and the taste of plain sugar. Unfortunately, this was wrecking havoc on my system so I found a way to do something about it by drinking only fruit smoothies. It took about a week, but everything taste horrible now. My blood sugar levels are normal for a diabetic as well. In fact, my last reading was 91, and I just finished my 8th glass of fruit smoothies. When I crave sweets I eat fruit, and when I crave salt I eat more veggies. So far this has been helping me lose weight too.
  • Apples are the best curb for the sweet tooth! :)
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    UGH I have such an issue with this too. I eat a ton of fruit... it helps my sugar craving a bit. The carb craving however is a super hard craving to over come for me. I constantly crave chips and cookies.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    So don't. Fit them into your calorie and macro goals and enjoy them.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Dark Chocolate covered almonds from Dove. Relatively low sugar and carb values and delicious.
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    i keep a tub of sweet fruits diced in tubs in my fridge and tomatoes, grapes etc. stops me pinching the kids sweets and chocolate :bigsmile:
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    The thing is that I don't really eat the bad kind of sweets. I eat fresh fruits, dried fruits, yogurts, whole grain breads, healthy cereals, etc...I just eat too much of them because I'm always craving them. It's like my body doesn't get satisfied with the reasonable serving. I guess what it comes down to is Will Power! And maybe just take a break from the sweets and carbs even if they are the healthy kind, just so that my body learns to survive without them.

Thank you for your replies! @ aquarabbit, I will check that website out, @ EndGame, I love yogurt with granola and fruit, I just eat them too much and that's a problem, @emhunter, I think that's what I'm going to do, cut sweets and carbs out completely for 2 weeks...it won't be easy but I'ma try!

You could try cutting out the processed sweets - yogurt, breads, cereals - these all contain bad sugars which can spike your insulin, causing cravings.