Anyone got tips on how to stop board eating

Options
I don't know why I do it I don't know if it's because I'm bored all I used to too bury emotions about 8 o'clock every night I just eat too much I stay in my calorie limits I eat 90 percent of my snacks after 8. I'll eat 2 power bars 220 callories 2 granola bars 170 callories and 2 fiber 1 brownies90 callories before I go to bed at 9. Any help would be great

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    If you're staying in your calorie limits, why fight it? Enjoy your snacks. Pay attention to whether you're hitting or at least coming close to your macros, make sure you're also getting a variety of healthful foods in your diet, and don't sweat it.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Make a goal to cut out one bar per night per week. If you give them all up at once you will fail...
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You might want to take up an evening hobby that is incompatible with eating. I do crocheting, sewing, reading, painting, etc. I am about to embark on model railroading. Z scale so really tiny but it will take time to get my layout the way I want. Of course this doesn't help if you are ravenously hungry. So the idea would be to eat a very filling supper, save a couple hundred calories for a late night snack. Get the most out of that snack, if you have to be filling your face, choose something like an apple that you cut up or cucumber slices. Plenty of ideas to not be bored enough that you need to eat.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My advice - either [1] don't buy the snack bars in the first place if you can't resist them when you're bored. or [2] Don't worry about it if you have the calories left for it.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    or [3] Keep yourself busy (go for a walk/run/dancing/etc instead of sitting and watching TV, or find something to keep your hands busy if you are at home watching television).
  • ale527
    ale527 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Other poster advice to find a hobby is good or when you start feeling snacky go for a walk. It will take your mind off of food. Adding yoga into your routine is another good, productive way to spend your time - meditate and be calm. Otherwise, when you reach for a snack drink a glass of water instead and wait 20 minutes for the snack to see if you're still hungry.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    What kind of boards are you eating? Wooden floorboards are high in fibre but plasterboard is not good for you at all. Monopoly boards are too expensive for a regular snack.

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly...
  • rachaelh84
    rachaelh84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth after your final meal. Floss, mouthwash. You won't want to have to do that all again!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I found I did a lot better when switching to 5 meals a day rather than 3. I now eat breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, dinner, and an evening snack (if there are calories left). It keeps me satiated all day, and it actually helped shrink my appetite for overeating at each meal. It was much easier to walk away from a meal not being full if I knew I had a snack coming later. Everyone is different, and I still stay within my calorie goals, but that's what simply works best for me.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Stop buying the bars if you can't help yourself. I eat popcorn at night. Even the buttered microwave bags are relatively low cal so I can eat a bunch and satisfy the need to munch without going haywire on my calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    Do something in the evening.

Exercise!

Take on a project.
    Go volunteer somewhere.
    Take a night class.
    Explore various hobbies.
    Clean the house.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    Even the buttered microwave bags are relatively low cal so I can eat a bunch and satisfy the need to munch without going haywire on my calories.

Really?

Back 15 or so years ago (the last time I had microwave popcorn), those bags ran about 800 cal per bag.

• Decapins
    Decapins Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    go to bed earlier, drink tea instead, eat vegetables instead/ something low calorie high volume
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Even the buttered microwave bags are relatively low cal so I can eat a bunch and satisfy the need to munch without going haywire on my calories.

Really?

Back 15 or so years ago (the last time I had microwave popcorn), those bags ran about 800 cal per bag.

Graze does mini ones with a minimal amount of oil and a bit of salt, also sugar or black pepper. A bit bigger than a credit card when you get them but they blow up quite big. They're pretty low calorie, it's a shame you can't get them in the shops.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, I just save my calories for the evening so I can snack and be where I need to be. Sounds like you do the same so why fight it. It makes no difference when you eat.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm a former lumber inspector. I'd suggest Quake, Aspen, or Poplar. If you're really wanting something special, Cherry. Fresh Cherry smells just like cherry gum! It's harder than the others, perhaps just try sawdust.

Have a great day.

PS. I do the same snacking later. Doesn't matter to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do something so that you're not bored.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Graze does mini ones with a minimal amount of oil and a bit of salt, also sugar or black pepper. A bit bigger than a credit card when you get them but they blow up quite big. They're pretty low calorie, it's a shame you can't get them in the shops.

Graze makes the BEST popcorn. The hint of black pepper one is so good.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I hear that boards are high in fiber.