Heavy lifting with only dumbbells?

Options
Hi All,

I've been reading a lot about the benefits of heaving lifting and was wondering about doing it with simple dumbbells? I don't have a weight machine, and there's no way in hell I'm going to the gym!

Thanks in advance,

Beth

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    also interested in this topic!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting only with dumbbells since February - I'm very pleased with the results (check my pics). You can still follow any number of progressive lifting programs, and lift "heavy" (heavy is relative). I'm following the All Pro's routine, and using versions of the lifts modified to accommodate DBs.

Eventually - like in a couple months - I'm going to be limited by my (in)ability to slug around two heavy DBs and will need to look into a place to do proper BB training. But in the meantime, it's been a fantastic, stay-at-home option.

The only other drawback is that you can't increase DB weights in small increments unless they're the adjustable kind (DBs pretty much only go up in 5 lb increments). Here's my DIY solution for that issue: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cmeirun/view/diy-micro-weight-hack-for-hex-dumbbells

ETA: we have a small but growing group following this program, and a couple of us are using DB-modified lifts http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12707-all-pro-s-beginner-weight-lifting-routine
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You'll find the dumbbells limiting and will eventually need to transition to a barbell.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have also used dumbells and lift as heavy as possible. Had decent results too I think
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Alot of my upper body lifting is with dumbells. ..i use from 10 lbs to 25 lbs
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Bella, you can probably make some good progress with dumbbells but I think you'll want to invest in a barbell eventually. I use my dumbbells a lot, but my barbell and plates are invaluable.
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Only dumbbells will only get you so far because the exercises are somewhat limited. But it is true that you need to lift as heavy as you can (a spotter is very beneficial) for good results. curling a 5-10lb dumbbell is just a waste of your time.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've only been using DBs (and med. balls) for the past 3 weeks (I use my apt complex gym). I hit all the muscle groups and can already tell I am getting stronger. However, the DBs only go up to 40 lbs so I know (and am planning) to officially join a gym and learn to use the barbells and such. But to get started, DBs are just fine. I can only lift (on a select few moves) no more than 20 lbs, so I know I have some time before really getting into a true gym. I've also been getting all my moves and tutorials from bodybuilding.com
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have also used dumbells and lift as heavy as possible. Had decent results too I think

You look amazing chick
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The problem I've had with dumbbells is the increments. I don't know what you have access to, but at my gym they only increase at 5lb increments minimum after 15lbs. I don't know about you, but I can't move from 30lbs to 40lbs fluidly. That's a huge increase percentage wise.

Also, I feel like I get more of a core workout using a barbell for things like squats. The dumbbells work my shoulders a bit, but I feel more "full body" with the barbell.

That being said, do what you can! Lifting with dumbbells is better than nothing and you can still get the same results, in my opinio.
  • Bella20102010
    Bella20102010 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice and opinions! You all look awesome!

Do you guys follow a specific program?

Beth