How many calories?

I'm really trying to lose a few more pounds, I've recently started back at the gym and burning roughly 500 calories per day as I only do an hour. I'm not quite sure how many calories I should be consuming? I'm eating 1200 calories at the moment as that's what a family member suggested, is that correct? I'm 21, female, 5 foot 6.5 and weigh 135lbs. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Did you fill out MFP when you signed up? It will tell you how many calories to eat.
  • kieraleigh486
    kieraleigh486 Posts: 5 Member
    Yeah but hadn't updated it so it's currently on sedentary, any idea how how I change this?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    What is your goal? You are at a healthy weight for your height so I don't know if you're trying to lose a few more pounds, or trying to increase your muscle mass, change your appearance otherwise?

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Yeah but hadn't updated it so it's currently on sedentary, any idea how how I change this?

The sedentary is based on how you live without exercise...so if you don't have an active job leave it as is.

the Key with MFP is understanding how it works...it works using the NEAT Method which means the amount of calories it gives you per day will give you the deficit you need to lose weight without exercise.

So for example on setup you say you are 205lbs, 5 ft7 and sedentary looking to lose 50lbs at a rate of 1lb a week...you get 1460 calories...then you exercise for 28 mins doing a video and burn 160 calories...

You then log that exercise and eat those calories totalling 1600 calories a day...

the key for this is setting reasonable weight loss goals based on this
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
    and being honest with the logging using a food scale etc.

btw those were my stats and my calorie goal for the first 6 months of being here and it worked beautifully as soon as I got a food scale and was logging accurately.