My knees grind. Are there Weight lifts for the legs that do not use a machine ?

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I plan to see an orthopedic about my knees this year.
I would really like to get back into weight lifting but since I quit the gym I do not know what sort of weight lifts I can do that would benefit my legs but doesn't put stress on my knees.

I'm not sure if my knee grinding is really an issue or not. I have had them grinding since I was 21 and I'm now 40 and the grinding doesn't hurt, it's just noisy.

Is there any sort of free weights , either dumbells, kettle bells or a barbell move that may work my legs and not require me to bend my knees too much? I have a cheap weight bench .
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/adidas-standard-bench-with-preacher-pad#repChildCatid=3103076

Thank You very much.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    grinding without pain is generally ok. but its best to see the Dr. Straight leg deadlift doesn't requre you to bend your knees, and calf raises, Leg lifts and heel digs are safe for bad knees.

dont use that leg extension part of the machine, its a knee destroyer
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Mine do it too. I saw my PCP about it and he wasn't concerned. Just noisy and normal. I don't agree with normal, but I'm not the doc.

Have it checked out. I agree, without pain, your probably fine.
  • themissw
    themissw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and Bending knees doesn't work for me. I've got to run now, but check out Facebook or Pinterest (assuming you use those sites) to search for low impact muscle building moves. Definitely get it checked out to avoid degradation of the joint that may cause pain later!!! Best wishes!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input.
  • crista19822015
    crista19822015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I had pain or grinding in my knee it ended up being from my hips being weak and once I did exercises to strengthen my hips my knees got better.