BMI!

I just had someone measure my actual BMI. It hurt in alot of ways! Physically!! and emotionally!! It was 42%. That means almost half of me is fat!? I've always thought I had alot of muscle. I guess not as much as I used too. This is discouraging, but I guess encouraging at the same time. I know what I have to do. Any suggestions, comments, inspirations!! Something!

Replies

• KIM4AW
    KIM4AW Posts: 6 Member
    I just had someone measure my actual BMI. It hurt in alot of ways! Physically!! and emotionally!! It was 42%. That means almost half of me is fat!? I've always thought I had alot of muscle. I guess not as much as I used too. This is discouraging, but I guess encouraging at the same time. I know what I have to do. Any suggestions, comments, inspirations!! Something!
  • B TOWN
    B TOWN Posts: 32
    How do you test your BMI?
  • KIM4AW
    KIM4AW Posts: 6 Member
    It's a device you can buy at any GNC. It's pinches your fat from your muscle. It hurt You can get an estimated calculation on this website with the BMI calculator but that isn't too accurate because some people can be big and just have alot of muscle. This guy that is way bigger than me but was mostly muscle on had 20% bmi while i'm holding a 42%! Depressing
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Try going to this site to see about you BMI http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    There is also an electronic device you can use, I can't remember what its called, but you hold it in your hands and it sends an electronic pulse through your body (you dont feel a thing) and the display will show you your BMI. My fiance has one at the school he works at for his Grade 12 fitness class. Much more expensive, but no pain.
  • B TOWN
    B TOWN Posts: 32
    So I just did it and I am 21.5 which they say is normal weight... But I know I'm not... I tried testing it by entering different weights... According to this calculator I could be anywhere between 111-149lbs and still be 'normal weight'... That seems like a huge range to me!

Does anyone know how to get a more accurate reading without buying this device?

KIM4AW - what is GNC?

Thanks
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Some gyms will test your BMI for you. If you belong to a gym you should ask about it.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I think there was a difference between BMI and body fat percentage. There is a margin of error on body fat %, depending on the machine or the person doing the "test"

Maybe this article will help.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/body-fat-measurement?page=2
  • I think they have a way of doing it in the water that is the most accurate..not sure though
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Yes, BMI isn't a percentage. It's a number the FDA (I think) or some other agency came up with to measure your weight.
    Kim, if you still look like your picture, I can't see how you would have a BMI of 42, that is Morbidly obese, which you are obviously not. I could see it being 42% body fat, because body fat can be subcutaneous or visceral, visceral is not immediately noticeable as it is fat around organs, you can have a lot of this and someone wouldn't necessarily know. Subcutaneous would be the stuff that's on your stomach, thighs, arms, love handles...etc