2»

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    warcup666 wrote: »
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

I can understand that, i lost my weight for a holiday. but i did it in 8 months,
    do it safely
  • warcup666
    warcup666 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

I can understand that, i lost my weight for a holiday. but i did it in 8 months,
    do it safely

Thank you hun xx
  • warcup666
    Options
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

So are you flying by microlight plane and they won't take you if you weigh more than 9 stone? Or are you a jockey going on a racing holiday?

Pardon me if I'm abrupt, but we get a lot of posts like this and I'm losing patience. Your body is not a toy that you can play around with and mould like play-doh, it's a very, very complex system and trying to change body weight is a major stress on it. If you want to do this properly, in a healthy way that will lead you to long-term healthy weight maintenance, then we are all raring to help you with that, and we have so much collective experience and advice that we can definitely help you to that goal.

But if you are going to try and crash diet your way to an arbitrary weight in an unrealistic timescale because "holiday lol", with no reference to the effect on your health or the high chance that it will lock you into the misery of a chronic yo-yo diet cycle (which is worse than obesity, health-wise) then you're on the wrong forum to get help with that.

We only get one body. We get a few years with it, then we die and it's buried. Take proper care of it while you have it.

I see where your coming from fair point, I just don't wanna look like a beach whale
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

So are you flying by microlight plane and they won't take you if you weigh more than 9 stone? Or are you a jockey going on a racing holiday?

Pardon me if I'm abrupt, but we get a lot of posts like this and I'm losing patience. Your body is not a toy that you can play around with and mould like play-doh, it's a very, very complex system and trying to change body weight is a major stress on it. If you want to do this properly, in a healthy way that will lead you to long-term healthy weight maintenance, then we are all raring to help you with that, and we have so much collective experience and advice that we can definitely help you to that goal.

But if you are going to try and crash diet your way to an arbitrary weight in an unrealistic timescale because "holiday lol", with no reference to the effect on your health or the high chance that it will lock you into the misery of a chronic yo-yo diet cycle (which is worse than obesity, health-wise) then you're on the wrong forum to get help with that.

We only get one body. We get a few years with it, then we die and it's buried. Take proper care of it while you have it.

I see where your coming from fair point, I just don't wanna look like a beach whale

Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean it in the best way possible.

If it were me, I would rather focus on eating in a moderate deficit, and not aim for a specific number, and whatever you lose you lose. You will feel so much better than if you were to crash diet. With crash dieting, you are either going to feel miserable and sick the entire vacation, or end up binging and throwing out all the hard work.

Since you are worried about how you will look, go try on a ton of swimsuits and pick one that you feel comfortable in and you think you look in.
  • warcup666
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

If it were me, I would rather focus on eating in a moderate deficit, and not aim for a specific number, and whatever you lose you lose. You will feel so much better than if you were to crash diet. With crash dieting, you are either going to feel miserable and sick the entire vacation, or end up binging and throwing out all the hard work.

Since you are worried about how you will look, go try on a ton of swimsuits and pick one that you feel comfortable in and you think you look in.

Awwwww bless ya that's really nice and thank you for your advice and support x
  • elphie754
    Options
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

You're very welcome.

Oh as a side note, you could consider getting some sort of spray tan before you go. It might help you feel a bit more confident and if you find a really good place to get one, they can "highlight" certain properties that you like about your self.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lb for a Holiday, but did it it over 8 months. I wanted to lose 25, but you have to allow for fluctuation etc and I was still happy with my weight by the time we went away. I'd say it's achievable, but you will have to put in a LOT of effort for it. The bigger you start out, the higher the number you'll lose per week. As you lose the weight, I found it slowed down. I started out losing 1lb a week and it slowed to half a lb and seemed to stick there forever. Some weeks you won't lose at all. I'd be focusing more on going away feeling good, not going away at a certain weight. Might make the 17 weeks easier on you.
  • warcup666
    Options
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

You're very welcome.

Oh as a side note, you could consider getting some sort of spray tan before you go. It might help you feel a bit more confident and if you find a really good place to get one, they can "highlight" certain properties that you like about your self.

Woooo really?? Will enquire about that , thank you x
  • warcup666
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    I lost 20lb for a Holiday, but did it it over 8 months. I wanted to lose 25, but you have to allow for fluctuation etc and I was still happy with my weight by the time we went away. I'd say it's achievable, but you will have to put in a LOT of effort for it. The bigger you start out, the higher the number you'll lose per week. As you lose the weight, I found it slowed down. I started out losing 1lb a week and it slowed to half a lb and seemed to stick there forever. Some weeks you won't lose at all. I'd be focusing more on going away feeling good, not going away at a certain weight. Might make the 17 weeks easier on you.

That's real good, well done!! Thank you! X
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

I agree with all of this. At 11 stone 4 (158lbs), you are not going to look even close to a beached whale, as you put it. That's kind of an unfair, unrealistic view of yourself. You're only a bit overweight by BMI standards. Find yourself a really nice swimsuit in the meantime that flatters you...sometimes what we wear makes a big difference in how we feel about ourselves!
  • elphie754
    Options
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

You're very welcome.

Yeah. I did it for my brothers wedding because I don't tan, I crisp and burn lol. Just make sure you go to a place that has good reviews and such. I have seen some pretty horrific spray tan jobs before. Trust me-orange skin looks horrible on everyone lol.

A good spray tan can be kind of pricey. Not sure where you live, but Groupon almost always has some sort of salon deals. While it may be tempting to go to place that's cheap, just remember you get what you pay for. The cheap places don't always do the best work.
  • warcup666
    Options
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

You're very welcome.

Yeah. I did it for my brothers wedding because I don't tan, I crisp and burn lol. Just make sure you go to a place that has good reviews and such. I have seen some pretty horrific spray tan jobs before. Trust me-orange skin looks horrible on everyone lol.

A good spray tan can be kind of pricey. Not sure where you live, but Groupon almost always has some sort of salon deals. While it may be tempting to go to place that's cheap, just remember you get what you pay for. The cheap places don't always do the best work.

Yes I agree with ya there, cheap isn't always the best lol x
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why 17 weeks

Holiday lol

If you look like a beached whale at 11 stone 4, I must look like a diplodocus. Funnily enough I don't think anyone cares. Perspective is what you need, not a crash diet. You're only 11lb away from the ideal weight range.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    based on your stats, burning 2000-2500 per day is a realistic expectation based on gender, height, weight. The range is because I don't know your activity level, your workout routines, etc. Eating ~1500 per day calories in is probably where you want to aim . Which would give you a 1-2 pound per week weight loss expectation.

So yes, 28 pounds in 17 weeks is possible. Consider the potential outcomes:

a) do your crash diets, which by definition crash & burn about as fast as you start them. Likely outcome is you lose 5-10, then gain 5-10 or more when you give up and go back to 'old habits'. Best case scenario is you don't do any real damage and in 17 weeks you are no worse off than you are now. Worst case scenario is you do harm to your body and/or put on more weight.

b) aim for a reasonable deficit by eating ~1500 calories daily, weighing your food to aim for accuracy, eating a variety of foods for nutritional value as well as enjoyment/satisfaction. At the same time assess your fitness/activity situation to see if there is room for improvement in order to benefit your overall health. Best case scenario is you're down 28 pounds or more in 17 weeks. Worst case scenario is you are more fit, more healthy in 17 weeks and down 10-20 pounds as a conservative estimate. But no matter what, going for this plan you'll be better off in 17 weeks than you are now.