Already discouraged today!

Options
2»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the best advice someone gave here was weigh everything...if the recommended serving size on a bag is 3 chips or 30g - weigh the 30g it'll be more precise...

as an example, last night having some bacon to hit my fat macros for the day...according to the package - 1 serving is 1 slice, pan fried, 12g...when i cooked it - the closest i got per slice was like 24g (from an original 30g raw)...if i had gone by the package and just had 3 slices (assuming that was 36g) - i would have doubled the serving unintentionally

When following the 21 day fix program, it is not necessary to weigh your food. It is all based on container sizes, and it works. It is normal to fluctuate. Don't stress it. The scale isn't linear, and it doesn't take into account water retention, hormones, pending bowel movements etc. Just keep doing what you're doing.

BTW, when I did my first round, I followed the portions to a t. I only lost 1.5 lbs which to me was very discouraging- the scale messes with your mind so much. But when I took my measurements I was down 7 inches overall. It changed my whole perspective. I don't read into the scale anymore and only focus on measurements.

Keep moving fwd. I love 21 day fix.

i disagree with the no need to weigh anything on 21day fix which is why I see people having to do it time and time again because they finish the 21 day cycle and then go back to normal eating habits - regain weight, rinse and repeat...

weighing food might be more time consuming initially, but it helps to establish a baseline of how much a serving size actually is rather than just put stuff in a container that someone has determined is a serving size
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    tlcnlg6bx31q.jpg
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I've been dieting for a year at a rate of about 1.4 pounds lost per week up until about two months ago. I am down about 5 in that 8 weeks! This morning I got up after a very good day yesterday and was up 1.6 pounds! I am tracking everything and weighing and measuring. I think it's just my body saying what the heck is going on??? After 10 days off work my schedule is going back to normal and I think my body is in rebellion. Don't panic you will likely have a big drop soon.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    JenMK4678 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    2 pounds overnight? That's water, hormones, salt, carbs, inflammation and just normal fluctuation. Or 2 pounds since 2013?

I use the Libra app to trend my weight. As women, that dang number on the scale just doesn't mean a whole lot. Use a weekly average.

I'm up 1.7 pounds from yesterday. No worries.

2lbs. since I started on Sunday..Too soon?? lol

I can 'gain' 5lbs in one day and it has nothing to do with actual fat gains :)
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    . [/quote]

i disagree with the no need to weigh anything on 21day fix which is why I see people having to do it time and time again because they finish the 21 day cycle and then go back to normal eating habits - regain weight, rinse and repeat...

weighing food might be more time consuming initially, but it helps to establish a baseline of how much a serving size actually is rather than just put stuff in a container that someone has determined is a serving size[/quote]

I totally agree that it helps you get a good baseline, but I think you gotta take steps to get there. The containers help you to establish portion control, and then you should evolve from there. I didn't weigh anything because I wasn't counting calories.. I was counting containers. Weighing it would have done me no good then, but once I got to where I wanted to be, I stopped using the containers and started weighing. Its been great for me!

• deannalfisher
    Options
    someone just posted in another thread about her current experience with the 21 day fix - which was, she weighed and entered into MFP what 21 day fix told her was within a certain calorie range - and she found that it was 2-300 below the goal calorie count...if its a wide variation like that, then what is the point of the containers? you aren't eating what they are telling you you should eat
  • Dominic_Grillo_III
    Dominic_Grillo_III Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your weight is gonna go up and down as you lose. I'm 27 and I looked like the Italian version of Gabrielle Igelsias A.K.A Fluffy (Latino Comedian). First few weeks I got frustrated 'cause I dropped 22 pounds in the first week....then my weight was going back up, even though my clothes were loser. It's just excess water and your body rebuilding it's self. Don't get discouraged by a couple digits....don't get discouraged at all. In the end it'll all be worth it. Just keep pushing!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my weight fluctuates by 5-7 pounds on any given day.

its the overall trend you want to pay attention to, not one day on the calendar.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    someone just posted in another thread about her current experience with the 21 day fix - which was, she weighed and entered into MFP what 21 day fix told her was within a certain calorie range - and she found that it was 2-300 below the goal calorie count...if its a wide variation like that, then what is the point of the containers? you aren't eating what they are telling you you should eat

That's nuts!!! I guess it all depends on what you're eating, but now I want to try that out for myself just to see!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    2 pounds overnight? That's water, hormones, salt, carbs, inflammation and just normal fluctuation. Or 2 pounds since 2013?

I use the Libra app to trend my weight. As women, that dang number on the scale just doesn't mean a whole lot. Use a weekly average.

I'm up 1.7 pounds from yesterday. No worries.

2lbs. since I started on Sunday..Too soon?? lol

Way too soon. Particularly if you are new to exercise, or close to TOM. Both can cause water retention which will make it look like you've gained weight. Both drop off on their own with some time. Patience is so important. Weight fluctuates daily, the overall trend is what is important.

For example, my daily weights from last year (notice the overall trend, as well as the daily ups and downs):

w5cs2baffo8l.png
  • deannalfisher
    Options

That's nuts!!! I guess it all depends on what you're eating, but now I want to try that out for myself just to see!

i think for me it just emphasizes that volume isn't a good way to measure food intake because it can vary so widely depending on how much/how little you pack in/settling of contents etc
  • aprilzabeth
    aprilzabeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A while back I was exercising twice a day and not eating back calories, but the scale wasn't moving. Then I decided to take a break and just maintain .. I didn't work out for a week and I ate much more .. and I lost weight. Now I'm eating well and exercising once a day, sometimes those days are weight lifting, walking, or floor exercises .. and everything is just much better now. I wonder if that would work for you. I think you can do too much and your body rebels.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A while back I was exercising twice a day and not eating back calories, but the scale wasn't moving. Then I decided to take a break and just maintain .. I didn't work out for a week and I ate much more .. and I lost weight. Now I'm eating well and exercising once a day, sometimes those days are weight lifting, walking, or floor exercises .. and everything is just much better now. I wonder if that would work for you. I think you can do too much and your body rebels.

Do you think her body is "rebelling" from a routine she's had since Sunday? It hasn't even been a week yet.
  • JenMK4678
    JenMK4678 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I have noticed that has happened to me in the past when I have dieted so maybe have a break for a day or two from the eating plan and still working out will "trick" my body lol.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I have noticed that has happened to me in the past when I have dieted so maybe have a break for a day or two from the eating plan and still working out will "trick" my body lol.

Diet breaks are a good strategy, and you can find good threads on it in the forums, but having only started Sunday, I don't think this is your issue right now. "A day or two off" with barely a week of restricting could wipe out your deficit for the week. Make sure you have a reasonable weekly weight loss goal (probably not 2 lbs/week unless you're more than 50 lbs overweight, and maybe not even then) and stick to it for a while. Patience :)
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Another kind poster here recommended the Happy Scale app to me the other day and I have already found it really useful in showing the "trend" in my weight loss as opposed to the daily ups and downs on the scale. If you keep at it, eventually you'll see that it goes up two pounds one day, then down one, then up .5, then down 2, and on and on and on. As long as the overall trend is downward, you're going in the right direction! Good luck!