Need advice--running in the snow

Options
So, I'm 239 lbs and started a walk/jog regimen this week.

The first run was in the rain, which wasn't too bad. Today though, it's snowing. I don't have any 'proper' running gear and I'm not sure if running in this kind of weather is even a good idea for an overweight beginner? Also, the roads haven't been plowed yet and the sidewalks are non-existent.

I'd like to have some advice, since I enjoyed running last time but would hate to injure myself and make it to where I miss more runs in the future.

Replies

• Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If the roads are slippery because of the snow/ice I would't go running. It's not worth it if you end up falling and injuring yourself. If icing salt (not sure if that's what it's called in English but I'm sure you know what I mean.. :p) has been used I see no reason why not. Just watch your step!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I, personally, if I were just starting out, wouldn't run in the snow. Walking in snow provides an awesome workout, especially if the snow hasn't been plowed or shoveled. I would just keep doing that, increasing distance and speed as is possible for conditions. Spring is coming and you'll have lots of opportunities to ramp up your workouts. In the meantime, make sure, you accurately track your calories to maintain a deficit if you are trying to lose weight. CI<CO. Good luck (it's -16F this morning where I live and the snow is deep so I'm stuck on the treadmill today :/ )
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I live in northern New England...very very northern New England...and running in the snow can be a great joy. So much better than running mid-summer! But...

* Wear many breathable light layers, not bulky layers.
    * Be sure you're not sweating excessively--that's a sign you're too hot. The sweat will freeze and you'll be miserable.
    * Make sure surface conditions are good. Uneven, hard crusty snow tends to cause twisted ankles. Snow covered ice leads to falls.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Also, you don't necessarily need different equipment for taking a nice walk in the snow. You don't need special snow running outfits, either. I don't wear things different for a walk in the snow than I do for an average cold day.
  • irandamay
    irandamay Posts: 929 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If the sidewalks haven't been cleared and you don't have any traction things for your shoes (such as Yaktrax), I might skip it for today and do some other kind of workout or use a treadmill indoors if you have access to one. Not only might it be slippery, but it can be really difficult to run through the snow. Even if it's not icing, the snow can just be kind of shift-y underfoot when it packs down under your feet. I think it's actually easier to run on iced up sidewalks (ours have been under about an inch or more of ice lately due to alternating periods of rain/melt and then deep freeze) with Yaktrax than on snow that shifts around underfoot.

Once the roads are plowed, you could try running on the side of the road, but make sure to wear something with bright colors to be seen and be very aware of traffic, run facing them, be ready to jump into the snowbank if needed (semi-joking on that one). :) It's not ideal but sometimes in the winter you have to use the road. I don't know how it is where you are, but here the sidewalks do not get plowed as quickly as the roads, so the road is often available before the sidewalks are.

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I'm very cautious about running on the snow because I've fallen down too many times. I won't run in the snow without my Yaktrax. I'd get me a pair and be prepared for next time if I were you...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I admire your commitment, no way am I interested in running in the rain or snow, but I agree with those who say be cautious about doing so.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    wear a gopro..lol.. Sorry bad joke-- find a Park with Grass run in the snow there hard surfaces will lead to ER