Fries!

Options
So I have been craving French fries like crazy but they have a lot of calories and just not healthy. I'm not a fan of sweet potato fries. Any suggestions?

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Fit the fries into your daily calories. They are not that high in calories and healthy is subjective.

This. I'm having an order of curly fries at Arbys tonight and they're around 400 calories for the whole order. I'll probably split it though with my husband and that will knock it down to around 200 calories-very doable!
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love both kinds, but if your goal is weight loss sweet potato fries are no better than regular fries, and some brands are higher in calories (not by a large enough amount to make them worse for weight loss though).

How many calories are you eating a day? Can you make room for fries? I would personally buy some frozen fries and have them as part of a meal if I were craving them.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's in your budget but I bought an air fryer and can now indulge within reason. The reduced fat makes them more calorie friendly and the air fryer gives them the crispness I crave. You still have to be careful to eat a reasonable portion though.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    green beans in the oven with salt on them

Mmm, I suspect I'd really like that! I love roasted veggies but never used green beans that way.
  • mandalunia
    mandalunia Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I got this really cool "air fryer" that uses no oil to cook frozen or fresh fries. They still have a fiery high calorie count but it cuts the calories significantly. Alternatively try baking the fries at home in your oven. Cutting the oil keeps them easier to keep in your calorie count.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,001 Member
    Options
    Fit the fries into your daily calories. They are not that high in calories and healthy is subjective.

This. There is nothing inherently wrong with eating french fries occasionally.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's in your budget but I bought an air fryer and can now indulge within reason. The reduced fat makes them more calorie friendly and the air fryer gives them the crispness I crave. You still have to be careful to eat a reasonable portion though.

My in-laws just got one of those and it's so cool!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I budget for the fries and usually split an order with my 10 year old. I didn't eliminate anything I love to lose my weight.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I fit fries on say a Saturday, not every Saturday but one. I can have some also on days I eat more carbs ( I am cycling those) :)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    They are not that high in calories

It's the calories in relation to the daily allowance that's the thing.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    They are not that high in calories

It's the calories in relation to the daily allowance that's the thing.

*shrug* Even in a low one you can fit some fries in.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Sounds like OP doesn't want to "fit some fries in" and has asked for alternatives. I get that MFP is hardline "eat everything if it fits" but sometimes people want to make different choices some days.

OP I don't even think sweet potato fries would be that much less calorific. Are oven fries better maybe? I bet supermarket freezer ones still have added fats but could you bake up your own potato fries? The hot from the oven and the salt might do the trick.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Sounds like OP doesn't want to "fit some fries in" and has asked for alternatives. I get that MFP is hardline "eat everything if it fits" but sometimes people want to make different choices some days.

OP I don't even think sweet potato fries would be that much less calorific. Are oven fries better maybe? I bet supermarket freezer ones still have added fats but could you bake up your own potato fries? The hot from the oven and the salt might do the trick.

The OP mentioned "craving some French fries" and has chosen not to have some on the incorrect assumption that they are not healthy. The posters here are just trying to help the OP realize that it is okay to have some French fries if he/she wants some and are offering advice on how to do it. Many people begin a diet cutting out things that they think are "bad" even though they like the foods, only to give in to cravings and give up because they "failed" by having some of that "bad" food.

If OP does not want fries, OP does not have to eat fries. But he/she can if they want to.

@Carebear199125 I like to cut up my own potato wedges and bake them in the oven until they are crispy. I toss them in a bit of olive oil and salt/pepper and bake them at around 425F for ~30 minutes or so (or until I see them get a brown around the edges). Someone else mentioned frozen fries, which are good, too, because you can portion yourself out some and eat only what you made to fit into your day.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    People sometimes want to learn and explore for themselves and not jump right to someone else's solution.