Challenging Choices at the Burger Joint

Options
NOLAKT
NOLAKT Posts: 8 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I'm going to dinner tonight with the family to a place that serves mainly burgers. My healthy options when looking at the menu are only a veggie burger or chili, or a grilled swiss cheese sandwich (which is probably coated in butter, so probably not actually healthy). Which would you choose?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Is this a chain where we could see the menu online to help make a choice? What is your goal for this meal - lower fat? Lower carb? Balanced meal? Stay within a certain calorie range?

Sometimes it's easier to make a choice when you look at the rest of the day, because then you choose in the context of your daily goal. I was just trying to figure out a snack, and noticed that I was low on protein, so I chose the greek yogurt over the almonds to fill in that gap.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Well, I would choose the veggie burger but that's because I don't eat meat. I don't know if veggie burgers or chili are inherently more healthy than a burger -- it would depend on what you're eating the rest of the day and what's in the burgers.

When you say "healthy" are you focusing on calories? Macronutrients? Specific things you're trying to avoid?
  • NOLAKT
    Options
    It's not a chain, but the menu is here:truburgernola.com/menu.html

I'm going for the lower fat, lower calorie route. I've been good all day and just did my lunch workout a little while ago. I have been trying to stay away from bread as much as possible, so I could do the veggie burger without a bun. Ugh...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    is there a nutrition guide online - typically I have luck searching restaurant name +nutrition
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm going for the lower fat, lower calorie route. I've been good all day and just did my lunch workout a little while ago. I have been trying to stay away from bread as much as possible, so I could do the veggie burger without a bun. Ugh...

Veggie burgers vary so much in calories depending on size and ingredients. Chili can also be a calorie-bomb depending on ingredients. I wouldn't order either unless they were things that you actually wanted to eat. A hot dog is only around 150 calories, though it is higher in fat (that doesn't include the bun). Is that an option?
  • NOLAKT
    Options
    No nutrition guides are available. This is a small locally owned business. We have a lot of these in New Orleans so it's always kind of challenging especially if there isn't grilled chicken or a salad on the menu.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    i would do something like this:
    single patty burger - probably will be about 4oz
    bun
    no cheese
    lettuce/tomato
    whatever condiment you want on the side
    small french fries
    water to drink

when you go to log it - break the burger down into the components and log that way

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Can you split with someone? Those small places usually give so much food it is enough for 2! Or maybe split your food when it gets there and ask for a to go container? I'm one I will eat what I want and log it and then move on because for me a meal out doesn't happen often :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    NOLAKT wrote: »

That might be the least lower fat, lower calorie friendly menu you could possibly find today. :D Holy limited choices, Batman.

I think the veggie burger might be your best bet, and see if maybe you can get some extra lettuce and tomato to make a not-very-filling side salad. Depending on the size of the burger and the bun, if you don't want to go completely bunless and the lettuce isn't big enough for a wrap, you could halve the burger and just but 2 burger halves on the bun halves. I know you said you were avoiding bread, but with such limited options, a little bread might be better than being hungry.

The other option that could work is the chili sans sour cream and cheese, but that kind of takes away from the flavor experience of the chili.
  • NOLAKT
    Options
    @janejellyroll
    I don't like hotdogs at all, I never have. Maybe I'll watch everyone else eat and have something at home before I go... :'(

• NOLAKT
    Options
    @kgeyser I definitely did not choose this place, LOL!!! I'm thinking your suggestion of asking for more lettuce and trying to create some kind of burger wrap at the table might be the way to go! I love cheese so no bun and a slice of swiss with lots of lettuce and tomato.

@happyauntie2015 They don't serve huge portions here so if I split I will definitely still be hungry.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to a good burger joint I'm going all in and having a big *kitten* burger with cheese/bacon/mushrooms/fried egg on a nice big bun and enjoy every bite. I'd log it and move on.
  • Kortamue
    Kortamue Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I think your very best bet, after looking at the menu, is to just get what you want and take half home. Sometimes, if you ask, you can even get them to pack half to go- sometimes. It looks like they're doing their best to partner with small, local places, so that's a boost of non-processing for you!

Also, I found this: Turburger, plain no cheese.

I'm sure it's user-added, but it's a start, and a ballpark to start with so you don't end up not getting anything at all. Most places will have an ingredient list as well, if you ask about nutrition information.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd get a burger no bun with avocado and ask if I could get arugula and roasted tomatoes on it since they have them on hand from the Uptown burger. If they said no, I'd get tomatoes, lettuce, and jalapenos in addition to the avocado.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese, no butter. Wash it down with a Michelob Ultra. :smiley:
  • Kortamue
    Kortamue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fixed the link! Sorry!
  • NOLAKT
    Options
    Thanks friends!!! Ya'll are making me feel better about my choices for a healthy meal (When I am on a less strict diet it's my favorite place to get a burger!! shhh!!!!) I'll let you know what I do tomorrow... <3
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I would check burger chains that have comparable menu items and see what fits in your day. Red Robin, 5 Guys. This probably looks more like 5 Guys, though I've never seen anyone give away as many french fries as they do. Look elsewhere if you're thinking fries!

http://www.fiveguys.com/menu/nutrition (If you aren't familiar with 5 Guys, a "little" has one patty, and the regular has two)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    mmm five guys
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    NOLAKT wrote: »
    I'm going to dinner tonight with the family to a place that serves mainly burgers. My healthy options when looking at the menu are only a veggie burger or chili, or a grilled swiss cheese sandwich (which is probably coated in butter, so probably not actually healthy). Which would you choose?

Burger. No mayo, no cheese, no bacon. Fat is very calorie dense so leave that off. If you're really motivated get a side salad instead of fries.