Work out saavy people..

Options
My Last years new year resolution was to lose a minimum of 40 lbs , starting at 225 lbs I ended up losing 80 as I continued setting goals . I've maintained my weight since then and I'm happily at 145 lbs fluctuating up to 150 lbs . My question is if my plan to lose weight first and now focus on toning my body was a good decision? I have some slightly loose skin areas but not too bad . I understand the scale may fluctuate more if I'm building muscle . But can anyone give me some insight on if that might affect my now clothing sizes ? And also if anyone has any pointers or tips on toning up that would be helpful

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    heavy weight training allows you to have a smaller, denser body.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Obligatory rant: Whenever I heard someone say they want to "get toned" I presume it means "look ****able".

A 'toned' look is simply a normal bodyfat combined with strength training. There's no magic involved. Get on any of the beginner's program (Starting Strength, Stronglifts, PHAT, NROLFW) and go at it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My Last years new year resolution was to lose a minimum of 40 lbs , starting at 225 lbs I ended up losing 80 as I continued setting goals . I've maintained my weight since then and I'm happily at 145 lbs fluctuating up to 150 lbs . My question is if my plan to lose weight first and now focus on toning my body was a good decision? I have some slightly loose skin areas but not too bad . I understand the scale may fluctuate more if I'm building muscle . But can anyone give me some insight on if that might affect my now clothing sizes ? And also if anyone has any pointers or tips on toning up that would be helpful

If that means that you did nothing to retain muscle mass (perform resistance exercise and eat sufficient protein), no it was not a good idea. But what is done is done. I would suggest adding resistance exercise and eating at maintenance or very slightly below. Hard to say more than that without knowing your goals or height.

If you had been performing resistance training you may have already fit into smaller sizes than you are wearing now and would look firmer.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, it would have been better to weight train during your weight loss to prevent losing muscle mass, but hey...congrats because you have made amazing progress.
    You can still combat the problem by beginning a credible, well researched training program to add muscle. There are hundreds out there but common ones are 'strongcurves' & stronglifts'.
    Eating at maintenance or slightly above (which I hope you have discovered already) is also important. I am assuming you are happy with your present weight?