Do you eat junk food you crave?

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just wondered do you eat junk food such as chocolate crisps burgers, chips cakes, etc in your diet or do you completely cut it out? I started this week and have ate clean all week cutting out all of the above but now I'm starting to wonder how long I can keep it up competley cutting it all out :/ but yet I feel so guilty to indulge in any of these treats :( x

First-I don't label foods. That's a slippery slope that leads to a distorted and unhealthy relationship with food.

Secondly-I eat all the foods I like, I've just learned how to fit them into my calorie goals. I focus on a varied diet and eat all sorts of things, including chocolate, chips and burgers. I'm now several years into successful maintenance and I'm in excellent health. I have a healthy relationship with food and I've learned how to do this whole thing in a way that's realistic ans sustainable for me, for the long term (40+ years) :)
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    i eat what i want all the time but i've planned everything ahead so i don't go over. only thing i've cut out was anything from haagen daz, and indian takeaway
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah I make room for them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It just depends on what else I've eaten or plan to eat and how badly I really want the junk food.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I think the one thing I miss the most, that I only allow myself to have maybe once or twice a year now, is little chocolate or cinnamon sugar doughnuts. One little package of those suckers can easily top 400+ calories. The other thing I used to love was those hostess apple pies, another easy 4-600 calories. Hell I used to eat the doughnuts along with my coffee after eating breakfast, which was usually waffles/eggs/pork sausage. That usually meant up to 1200-1500 calories before I left the house for the day. I miss it, but honestly I do just fine now. Now I tend to eat a bowl of bran cereal with almond milk (great start on fiber for the day) with a protein shake, then mid-morning I have a homemade sausage egg and cheese mcmuffin that comes in around 410 calories. The muffin is my blast from the past so to speak but I use turkey sausage, low cal muffins (usually multigrain) and it satisfies me. But I think about those little chocolate doughnuts a lot. haha. I usually have them on Christmas morning now because that day is usually screwed anyway.
  • elizakristofferstuen7370
    Options
    I work out a lot (and do not eat any of the cals. back), but every saturday I give myself 1000 calories to use to what ever....
    Some times it is chocolate and chips, other times it is pizza or lasagne....or it could be wine and icecream.
    I do not have to many kg that has to go, and it is no stress for me to use a extra month to reach my goal o:)

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out. Except alcohol. The drunk munchies were killing my calorie deficit, even if I planned the alcohol and logged it.

That being said, I don't waste my "delicious points" (calories) on sub-par treats. If I'm going to have a cheeseburger, it's not going to be from McDonald's. No supermarket bakery items - if I'm going to have a cookie, it's going to be delicious, not mediocre. Quality chocolate, not that waxy, nasty stuff. Etc, etc.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yes. You lose weight with a caloric deficit, not by eating clean. If you cut everything you enjoy out of your diet, you're just setting yourself up for failure down the road. The best thing you can do is learn how to incorporate your favorites into a caloric budget that works for you.
  • jsnipes78
    jsnipes78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I figured that the key is to eat what you want, but less. Also if you just live an overall healthy lifestyle you probably will crave better things. This weekend I have 2 birthday parties. I am going to go and eat what they serve, but I will keep in my how much I am eating. Plus I plan on doing a longer workout that day as well.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I eat "junk" food, just not in the amounts I want. I do my best to fit it into my daily calories. If I cut out that type of stuff completely, the death rate in Newfoundland would be much, much higher.
    true-story.png
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Depends on if it's worth the calories, tbh.

I'll eat dark chocolate occasionally (usually during that time of month). I love cake and eat it, but since I've been making diabetes-friendly cakes for my dad, it's low-calorie enough that it fits into my goals easily. I also eat no sugar added ice cream or frozen yogurt pretty regularly.

A few things I've had to substitute out, like chips. I try to eat white cheddar popcorn instead of Cheetos and tortilla chips with salsa instead of Doritos. Funyuns are a rare treat that I get to have about once a month because it's very hard for me to stop eating them once I start. Donuts and pastries haven't been worth the calories lately so I've been making applesauce cake with oat flour or banana bread to satisfy my sweet tooth in the morning.

If you feel guilty about eating 'junk' food, there are a million recipes out there that can customize your food to match your goals. I've seen everything from paleo cupcakes to apple chips :)
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I didn't completely cut out anything since day one. I just eat whatever fits into my calories, after I make sure my nutrition is in check. If I crave something strongly enough, I'll eat it anyways even if nutrition goals aren't reached.
    Do away with the guilt. Food is not something to feel guilty about.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Lol. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my calories and I try to hit my macros.

Basically, I try not to make my whole day me eating things with little to no nutritional value.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a massive sweet tooth, so I would be a miserable human being if I didn't allow myself something sweet at least daily (and fruit does NOT cut it). Most of the time I'm satisfied with graham crackers or those little Italian waffle cookies, but sometimes I just stuff a big old brownie in my face because that's what I want. I either try to adjust for it, or blow the goal for the day and move on with life.

Thankfully, I don't have much of a taste for other "junk" food (don't eat fast food with the rare occasion of some Taco Bell, don't like chips/crisps, etc), so I am not feeling like I'm constantly fighting temptation. If I DO eat something, I try to record it and move on.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I still have a bag of chips a couple times a week. Only now the bag is 28g and not a family size. My fear is that, if I don't have a small bag when I want it, I'll hit the store and buy (and eat) a family sized bag watching hockey. Same for most other things. Only thing I have not had is a full sugar soda in months. Every time I look at having one, I figure I'd rather have a glass of wine for the calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I still have a bag of chips a couple times a week. Only now the bag is 28g and not a family size. My fear is that, if I don't have a small bag when I want it, I'll hit the store and buy (and eat) a family sized bag watching hockey. Same for most other things. Only thing I have not had is a full sugar soda in months. Every time I look at having one, I figure I'd rather have a glass of wine for the calories.

LOL, that's why I switched to diet, because if I'm gonna drink my calories, it's going to be wine or beer :innocent:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Just wondered do you eat junk food such as chocolate crisps burgers, chips cakes, etc in your diet or do you completely cut it out? I started this week and have ate clean all week cutting out all of the above but now I'm starting to wonder how long I can keep it up competley cutting it all out :/ but yet I feel so guilty to indulge in any of these treats :( x
    Then you need to examine your relationship with food. "Junk" food is fine in moderation. Remember that weight gain/loss/maintenance is based on calories. If you stay within the calories limits of whatever goal you're trying to reach, then you should be fine with some "junk" food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• asbandr
    asbandr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) style of eating. So I can have whatever I want, but it has to fit my macros. That doesn't mean I can have donuts every morning because that would completely eat up (slight pun intended) my carbs and fat macros, but if I really want something or I'm going out later, I can usually fit it in. Now being that I'm on lower calories, therefore lower macros, I have to eat pretty healthy most of the time to be able to eat enough to satisfy me, and stay within my macros. Also, I will try to find alternatives for the things I am tempted by. If I want ice cream, I'm just going to look for the healthiest option available.
  • kissoflowers83
    kissoflowers83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like most others, I plan ahead with my cheat indulges. My weakness is baked goods, so I also try to pair those foods with protein to slow the digestion of them down (& eat less of the cheat food in the moment). I also take fiber tablets with each meal so that it passes through my system more efficiently & I don't store as much of it as fat.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream almost every day. It's not directly related to whether I lose, gain, or stay the same.