What's your exercise routine?

Options

Replies

• gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit, so I walk over 10,000 steps a day. I try to hit 15k. I have a few walking routes around my neighbourhood. In the morning I walk 2.4 miles and I cycle 5.4 miles most days. I walk at night on a shorter route. Tuesdays and Thursdays I do an hour of Pilates at the gym, plus either treadmill or weight machines. Plus I like to do my own Pilates routine at home a few days a week of 20 minutes.
    I just started swimming again yesterday, I only did 40 laps, but I hope to build up to what I was doing a couple of years ago, which was a mile.
    I have lost 17 pounds since April and it is really hard going now I am older. My advice is to anyone out there: Try to lose weight before you hit menopause, because it will be a whole lot harder once you do. I lost 40 lbs 13 years ago and it pretty much fell off with less exercise than I am doing now.

i hear ya !! i'm only 33 and i'm already having a hard time losing weight LOL

btw, is the Fitbit just for walking or is it a HRM ??
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options
    Sun - Jujitsu in the A.M.
    Mon - Lift/swim at lunch, Muay Thai after work
    Tues - Lift/swim at lunch
    Wed - Swim at lunch
    Thur - Lift/swim at lunch, Muay Thai after work
    Fri - Swim at lunch, Jujitsu after work
    Sat - Rest

This is my current plan. It changes every few months though. Occasionally there is some random outdoorsy thing that I might do, ie: rafting, kayaking, hiking, etc.

jujitsu huh ?? that sounds really awesome !!
  • suzycav77
    suzycav77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    cardio plus strength training monday, wednesday and friday targeting different body parts!! walking in between even on gym day's! i like nothing better than to all way's be on the go :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I do strength workouts using sandbags and suspension trainers in conjunction with one another (circuit training format) 3-4 days a week. In addition, I do jump rope for cardio whenever I feel like it (although I don't follow a specific schedule like I do with the circuit workouts).
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    P90X

Walking 20 miles a week
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 30 pounds and have kind of settled into the following routine..

Monday-rest or 20 min yoga
    Tuesday-50-60 min treadmill intervals and 20 min arms
    Wednesday-30-45 min treadmill run and 20 min legs
    Thursday-60 min easy run and 20 min all over toning workout
    Friday-rest of 20 min yoga
    Saturday-long run of 6-10 miles
    Sunday-run 5-6 miles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Right now I"m getting ready to go into my late summer/early fall racing season so I'm running quite a bit...I've got about 3 weeks until I peak and start racing. Also doing some recreational cycling and swimming on my non-running days to keep everything lose, but much less impact. I also lift on non run days but have had to seriously taper back my leg work. I'll be done In October and my focus will turn towards lifting being my numero uno priority until February when I start triathlon training.

Right now:

Monday - 10K work (30-60 minutes depending on workout)
    Tues - recreational cycle or long walk; lifting PM
    Wed - Same as Monday
    Thurs - recreational cycle or long walk; lifting PM
    Fri - Same as Mon and Tues
    Sat - lifting AM; recreational lap swimming
    Sun - Golf, recreational lap swimming

Sunday is technically my rest day...sometimes I do just take that day off if my body tells me to knock it off...
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weight 6 days a week and repeat
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I generally workout m-sat
    mon/weds/fri -- 45 cardio (current favorite is stair-master, killer for butt and thighs) and then 30 mins of lifting
    tues, thu, sat -- 60 mins kickboxing

I have between 1-2 rest days a week depending on how my body feels.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I only commit to the amount of exercise I know will fit in my schedule forever. My target is 45 minutes/4-5x a week. 1-2 days of low intensity and 3 days of high intensity circuit or strength training.

Basically I look to do something like:
    Day 1: circuit training or strength + HIIT
    Day 2: low volume strength training + HIIT
    Day 3: moderate intensity steady state cardio (lower intensity day)
    Day 4: circuit training
    Day 5: easy walk or other activity for an hour

Sometimes I feel like doing more, but I realize my body would likely get used to the amount and it would not be very practical in the long term. I do switch things out a bit too. Right now I have a rowing goal, so my steady state is an hour (because it is my goal). But I like HIIT better and focus on that. Day 5 I think of as optional. I have been shooting for 10k steps per day, and mostly hitting that goal too.
  • KatiesNewGoals
    KatiesNewGoals Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a busy schedule with, work, a husband, and a very active 15 month old, so my workouts tend to stay between 45-60 minutes long. I've been really working out and counting calories since May. Here's my schedule. I'm always hoping to get 5 days in, though it rarely seems to happen.

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 50 minutes of cardio
    Wednesday: 50 minutes of cardio
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: (optional 5th day). Rest, Cardio or weights..it's a toss up!
    Saturday: 20 minutes of cardio+ weights
    Sunday: Zumba class

I usually workout late at night around 9:30 or 10, however, we have family coming into town which means more days and more classes, since I'll be able to workout earlier! Win!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    30 min cardio followed by an hour of weights.

I work one muscle group a day and alternate abs and legs every other day.
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options
    Lift heavy weight 6 days a week and repeat

no cardio ??
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options
    I only commit to the amount of exercise I know will fit in my schedule forever. My target is 45 minutes/4-5x a week. 1-2 days of low intensity and 3 days of high intensity circuit or strength training.

Sometimes I feel like doing more, but I realize my body would likely get used to the amount and it would not be very practical in the long term. I do switch things out a bit too. Right now I have a rowing goal, so my steady state is an hour (because it is my goal). But I like HIIT better and focus on that. Day 5 I think of as optional. I have been shooting for 10k steps per day, and mostly hitting that goal too.

sounds like we kind of have the same exercise regimen ... have you been hitting your weight loss goals ?? i started off working out 6-7 days a week and lost a lot of weight quickly but when i slowed down to 4-5 day workouts, my weight loss has definitely dwindled ...
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options
    I have a busy schedule with, work, a husband, and a very active 15 month old, so my workouts tend to stay between 45-60 minutes long. I've been really working out and counting calories since May. Here's my schedule. I'm always hoping to get 5 days in, though it rarely seems to happen.

I usually workout late at night around 9:30 or 10, however, we have family coming into town which means more days and more classes, since I'll be able to workout earlier! Win!

we have a similar work out regimen ... have you been hitting your weight loss goals with this schedule ??
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options
    i feel like such a bum compared to you all with your 10k's, 6-7 day workouts ...

how do i increase my endurance into being able to exercise more than 4 days a week ?? any tips ??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i feel like such a bum compared to you all with your 10k's, 6-7 day workouts ...

how do i increase my endurance into being able to exercise more than 4 days a week ?? any tips ??

When I started out nine months ago, I pretty much walked for 20-30 minutes 3x weekly and slowly worked up from there. When winter came I decided I really wanted to run a 5K...just to do it...just for the experience...so I ran one on Super Bowl Sunday and barely finished the damn thing and had to walk some, etc. But I continued to train and decided I was going to have a running season and really prepare for that season (where I'm at now).

Nine months ago, I couldn't have imagined being where I am now. I just wanted to be a little fit and generally healthy...maybe lose some weight, etc. Now I'm racing and doing 5Ks and 10K and signing up for triathlons next year...like I said, couldn't have imagined that nine months ago.

And that's the key...TIME... you have to go slow or you will injure yourself. You have to build up your fitness base. I didn't start working out like this, I would have died...I would have numerous injury set backs and probably would have thrown in the towel by now. I added stuff in gradually. I made independent fitness goals for myself and set out to do exercises that would most benefit me in achieving those goals.

Realize also that rest is important...and rest is relative. When I started out, a rest day meant just that...rest...not doing much. Now a rest day is just less intense exercise done in a recovery heart rate zone and at low impact...it's all relative and rest is very important.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

sounds like we kind of have the same exercise regimen ... have you been hitting your weight loss goals ?? i started off working out 6-7 days a week and lost a lot of weight quickly but when i slowed down to 4-5 day workouts, my weight loss has definitely dwindled ...

Yes and no. :) 1st off you need to ask yourself if you want to lose weight quickly or permanently. I have a list of scale and non-scale goals. I take measurements. I want to see at least one of the areas moving forward regularly. I also create new goals that I can measure short term progress on.

Initially my weight loss was fairly steady. But I hit a huge bump in the road when my thyroid levels were out of whack again. (I am hypothyroid). I did switch from lower calories to high calories. I also had a period when I exercised even more intensely more often. All kinds of little changes to jumpstart a stall.

When my thyroid levels are on track it seems OK. I was losing mostly steadily. Until right around the time when I switched medicines (and then my levels were off).

This is my schedule for now, as I am trying to get back on track and see some measure of progress I am in the process of getting bloodwork/checking levels and so on. So it can be a little frustrating in my case. I readjusted my plan over the past couple of weeks, to reduce intensity a bit after looking at my goals a little closer and the best way to achieve them.

So far, I have seen a little bit of progress, and I took some new blood tests this week. Hopefully the momentum is headed in the right direction.

The question I have for you, what are your workouts? What happens in them? How intense are they? What exercises?
  • KatiesNewGoals
    KatiesNewGoals Posts: 29 Member
    Options

we have a similar work out regimen ... have you been hitting your weight loss goals with this schedule ??

So far so good! I've hit my July goal of 5 lbs..still about 2 weeks left, so I'm hoping to hit 7 lbs. That's what I've been averaging since May. So hopefully by the end of July I'll be at 24-25 lbs lost, which is about half way to my goal. I eat about 1330/cal per day and may or may not eat the calories back. I probably eat a bit back but most day's I don't. I'm planning on increasing my weights when I get down about another 5-6 lbs. We'll see how that goes. Good luck to you and stay strong!! :-)
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Strength training M-W-F for 40-60 minutes with a light cardio cool down
    Cardio- anything from HIIT to DVD workout to walking T-Th-Sat
    Rest on Sunday