Ingredient Matcher Makes Me Laugh

Options
Wynterbourne
Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
I know that the ingredient match algorithm for the recipe importer is quite flawed. I usually have to spend a bit of time double checking and replacing/correcting most of the ingredients that it chooses for me. But sometimes, just sometimes, there are moments where I have to do a double take and burst into a fit of laughter. Like when my ingredient "9 grams active, dry yeast" gets matched with Fit & Active's Light Mayo. Bwahaha! There are times that I think the coders set stuff like this up on purpose. Kinda hard to make pizza dough if you replace the yeast with light mayo. *snicker*

a95dlv2rklbc.jpg

Replies

• K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What exactly is this app?
  • Wynterbourne
    edited January 2017
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    What exactly is this app?

It's not an app. It's the Recipe Importer feature in the Recipe section of MFP. Here's a screenshot from the webpage. It can also be accessed from in the MFP app. Well, at least the Android version. Can't vouch for the Apple one.

6srbav4qnbpw.jpg
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ahh im so excited thats a thing:p its kinda a pain too add everything!
  • steingrunnen
    steingrunnen Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    sm42fspuwitu.png
    I added a recipe today! And it came out...not right.

1/2 tbs of honey turned into Oatmeal, sugar and salt both turned into skimmed milk, and 1/4 cup neutral oil somehow became 2000 calories worth of coconut oil (nut still 1/4 cup).

Matched version was 765 calories per serving, while the corrected was 198.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to add a fish recipe this weekend, it kept telling my 1/2 t of chili powder was 375 calories! It is a handy tool, but new users be aware that you do have to pay attention and double check things.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You either need to go through every single ingredient and make sure it's correct or you use the old recipe calculator. And even then you need to be careful.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    You either need to go through every single ingredient and make sure it's correct or you use the old recipe calculator. And even then you need to be careful.

Oh, I'm aware. Hehe. And every time I use it I double check every ingredient. Most of the "guesses" made make sense, but some of them sometimes are just crazy and this example in particular I found so amusing.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had 1tbs of garlic powder turn into 4tbs of garlic powder at 1500ish calories! I was wondering why my calorie content looked so high for my recipie, then I saw that. lol. :D
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I went in the other day to edit an old recipe, just to change the quantity of one ingredient. It tried to change just about everything, one item ( I think baking powder) suddenly went from 0 calories to over 3000
  • mrskcreations
    mrskcreations Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just tonight I tried to add 4 oz. of pork roast and it told me that it was only 74 calories... Um, I think it'd be a little more than that, wouldn't it?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I abandoned the farce of the Recipe Tool matching algorithms a long time ago and only use the Old Recipe Calculator on the web.

I found I can build the recipe ingredients in a blank Meal slot in the Food Diary and even use personal My Foods and my saved Recipes within the new "Draft Recipe." Then when I have made all of the edits, I click Quick Tools > Remember Meal, then import the My Meals into the Old Recipe Calculator, which automatically pulls every ingredient from the saved My Meals to the Old Recipe Calculator.

This method gives me full control over exactly what goes into my Recipe.

I posted instructions on how to do this here...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10471173/how-to-use-my-foods-and-my-meals-in-a-recipe-a-workaround
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    I abandoned the farce of the Recipe Tool matching algorithms a long time ago and only use the Old Recipe Calculator on the web.

I found I can build the recipe ingredients in a blank Meal slot in the Food Diary and even use personal My Foods and my saved Recipes within the new "Draft Recipe." Then when I have made all of the edits, I click Quick Tools > Remember Meal, then import the My Meals into the Old Recipe Calculator, which automatically pulls every ingredient from the saved My Meals to the Old Recipe Calculator.

This method gives me full control over exactly what goes into my Recipe.

I posted instructions on how to do this here...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10471173/how-to-use-my-foods-and-my-meals-in-a-recipe-a-workaround

You should be getting paid for this, dude. Seriously. You're a weapon!