Losing weight with depression

So I've been doing the weight loss/healthy lifestyle thing since the end of July and so far have lost 39lbs. I'm just 11lbs away from the goal I set for myself. I've done this fat/thin roller coaster throughout my life so I know what needs to be done but with me I also suffer from depression. And when I feel at my lows my craving is to drink and then overeat. Sometimes I can fight it and other times I give into it. It is very hard the struggle. If I'm not feeling overwhelmed by the depression I'm focused and committed but lately it seems to be getting stronger and I just don't want to have it take over me. I go to therapy and I am very active but the depression is always there. If anyone can relate and be a support that would be so great thanks

Replies

• irejb12
    irejb12 Posts: 33 Member
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You should be really proud of yourself.

I can really relate to what you're saying. I was diagnosed with clinical depression years ago but I'm currently not taking any medication. I've turn to exercise, in part, to control it and due to the fact I have 20lbs to lose.

Like you, I engage in emotional eating when I'm down. One thing that has helped me is too take things on a day by day (or sometime hour by hour)basis. I also try to be more conscious when I eat, i.e. am I eating because I'm hungry or depress. Additionally, when I'm not exercising, I try to socialize more. I find being around people helps me during my depressive episodes.

Have you talked with your therapist about developing further strategies to stop your depression from coming back?
  • Kmarie8212
    Kmarie8212 Posts: 22 Member
    I'm Kristy! I know exactly what you mean. I've suffered from depression for as long as I can remember. Gained 70lbs with my pregnancy and started losing it then my dad passed away and threw me into a horrible spot in life and gained everything back and then some. It's been almost 3 years since he's passed and I'm finally getting myself back to a better place in life! The depression is always there but I'm not going to let it ruin me anymore. Would love to be friends!
  • Mel3933
    Mel3933 Posts: 43 Member
    irejb12 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You should be really proud of yourself.

I can really relate to what you're saying. I was diagnosed with clinical depression years ago but I'm currently not taking any medication. I've turn to exercise, in part, to control it and due to the fact I have 20lbs to lose.

Like you, I engage in emotional eating when I'm down. One thing that has helped me is too take things on a day by day (or sometime hour by hour)basis. I also try to be more conscious when I eat, i.e. am I eating because I'm hungry or depress. Additionally, when I'm not exercising, I try to socialize more. I find being around people helps me during my depressive episodes.

Have you talked with your therapist about developing further strategies to stop your depression from coming back?[/

Besides my kids I'm alone all the time. I don't have genuine friends and just my mom as family so no one to socialize with. What I've learned from therapy is distraction. Do things to distract your mind so you're not focused on the depression. That works to an extent bc I am doing things but my mind is always thinking and I'm still down. Plus at home during times I'm trying to relax or at night that's when it's the worse.
  • Mel3933
    Mel3933 Posts: 43 Member
    Kmarie8212 wrote: »
    I'm Kristy! I know exactly what you mean. I've suffered from depression for as long as I can remember. Gained 70lbs with my pregnancy and started losing it then my dad passed away and threw me into a horrible spot in life and gained everything back and then some. It's been almost 3 years since he's passed and I'm finally getting myself back to a better place in life! The depression is always there but I'm not going to let it ruin me anymore. Would love to be friends!

Hi my name is Melinda. Yeah very similar where my depression is always there but some periods I don't feel it's intensity and then others it's overwhelming. And definitely with the pregnancies I gain a lot and then have to lose all over again over the years. I haven't dealt with losing a parent but I can imagine that would be incredibly difficult to go through but it's good you're getting to a better place. Will send you a friend request