Period (girls please!!)

Options
2»

Replies

• jenwil1999
    jenwil1999 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No no no, she's not refusing to let me see the doctor or anything. I should have phrased that better. When I mentioned it to her, I sounded super scared so I guess to calm me down she was like "oh don't worry it's common for women's periods to get crazy" or something.

Ok, glad to hear it. Just never sure what someone's relationship with their mother is like. And yeah, if she was worried, she was probably trying to reassure both of you. Good luck on getting things worked out!
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As above, definitely check with a GP. They might put you in for blood tests, bone scans etc but perhaps not as it's still fairly recent. Regardless, you will need to re-evaluate your diet and exercise habits. 3-4X a week is plenty of exercise, and nothing too intense until your body is functioning properly again. Over-exercising will drive your hormones bonkers, so many women are affected by it yet it goes relatively unspoken about. Also make sure you're eating enough fats, as that's essential for hormonal health!

I wish I'd listened to my body sooner. I haven't had a period in 4 years after spending so long going to the gym every day and undereating. I now have osteopenia - that will develop into osteoperosis unless I act fast - I don't know if I'll ever be able to have kids, and my boobs WILL NOT GROW even when I gain fat, because my hormones are so out of whack.

So long as you see a GP, take any medical advice on board and go a bit easier on your body, you'll be fine. Just learn from my mistakes, and don't ignore what your body is telling you!
  • jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just had an appointment with my doc and we talked about diet excercise etc. I'm eating everything I need to be and there were no obvious issues so I'm gonna get blood work done next week. One thing she said is that I should only have one protein shake or bar per day. Would that affect it? She seemed kind of biased to think that my protein supplements are filled with chemicals and whatever but I chose products w low number of ingredients and ones I can read.

Also, she recommended I stop counting calories and instead just eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. I just recently read and article not to do this...I forget the exact reasons but it might of been on mfp I forget but they said eating like that is bad for some reason? I'm also just worried I'll eat way more than I would if I was counting cals and make unhealthy choices. She said my current weight is good and I should maintain that but I don't know how to maintain without counting
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1. Do a pregnancy test
    2. See your doctor

Edit: didn't see above post that you went to the doc.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just had an appointment with my doc and we talked about diet excercise etc. I'm eating everything I need to be and there were no obvious issues so I'm gonna get blood work done next week. One thing she said is that I should only have one protein shake or bar per day. Would that affect it? She seemed kind of biased to think that my protein supplements are filled with chemicals and whatever but I chose products w low number of ingredients and ones I can read.

Also, she recommended I stop counting calories and instead just eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. I just recently read and article not to do this...I forget the exact reasons but it might of been on mfp I forget but they said eating like that is bad for some reason? I'm also just worried I'll eat way more than I would if I was counting cals and make unhealthy choices. She said my current weight is good and I should maintain that but I don't know how to maintain without counting

Doctors know little to none about nutrition. If she's worried about chemicals from protein shakes, did she also advise you to use different body products, make-up, cleaning products, washing detergent, not eat or drink out of plastic, etcetera? Sure, you should get most of your protein from food, not relying on shakes or bars, but supplementing with either is not terrible.

Counting calories is unlikely to cause your period to disappear. (unless it causes you an unbelievable amount of stress).