Someone discouraged me.

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, but that doesn't mean it's useless. (Just like simple isn't the same as easy, complex the same as complicated, etc.)
    this person himself was trying to lose weight but always said he had no time to 'work out.'
    There you have it.

Next time someone starts an unsolicited lecture, walk away :#
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I suspect taking up running has helped me lose weight by giving me more calories burnt.

Having said that, food is key. I'm sure I've lost weight through eating less, but what has CHANGED my body shape is the exercise.

oh, and I'm fitter, don't get out of breath walking up hills anymore and generally FEEL more active
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    why are you so bothered and influenced by this one person?

Yes, I wondered that too. People say stuff. Whatever.
  • longtimegeek
    longtimegeek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that this individual was looking for any source that justified the conclusion he wanted. He probably doesn't want to exercise so he looks for anyone that says exercise is not important and uses it to calm the voice that tells him he really should. The more he can convince others of this, the more justified he is in not exercising.

I have had people tell me exactly the opposite, that unless you are exercising, you are doomed to failure because your metabolism will tank without something to kick it back up as you cut intake. They have their sources just like this guy.

You stated diet and exercise have worked for you so why worry about this guy's opinions, especially since you don't seem to believe his program is working for him?
  • Shammyface
    Shammyface Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Have more confidence in your experience and your opinions!
    Not just "don't worry about what one guy says." Trust the evidence YOU have gathered.
    If you know what you are doing is working for you, it isn't discouraging when someone else declares there is another way. Both of your approaches for weight loss are valid - you are both right - maybe he is denying your approach because he is envious of the time you have to work out, or your determination!
    Diet with exercise is objectively better, because you will be fitter at the end of it too!
    Keep it up!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for you, but whether or not it will make any difference in your weight is heavily dependent on how much you eat. When I was losing weight I used exercise to let me eat more. Now that I am trying to maintain my weight, I find that exercise keeps me from overeating, both because it burns calories and because it gives me something to do with my free time other than sitting around snacking.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I got a bit angry at this point as it seemed like he just said all the months of working out didn't contribute to any weight loss, and it was just my diet/eating less.

What he said was that eating less than you burn is what works, you took it personally and as an offense to your hard work and dedication. It's hard to "hear" that something you believe in is wrong, although nobody should be able to shake your belief like that. You know that you haven't wasted your time exercising, why give this guy power to strip you of your success?

Of course we can lose weight eating less (than we burn), but I find it more sustainable to exercise so that I can get more calories while keeping a deficit. Plus, I have come to really enjoy exercise. Gyms are there for fitness, whenever I start maintenance, I'll still be going.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Fat vaporizer.. It doesn't bother me what others say nor does it discourage me. I know what I am after. He is just not seeing the whole picture. While exercise isn't always the factor in losing weight I'm sure it helps and tones you up more. Plus there is a reason for exercise, cardio...good for your heart. Your body ,muscles, and bones all benefit from exercise. Just nod, as another said and continue on.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So I was talking about how I had been working out consistently trying to lose weight, along with cutting back on what I ate/dieting, and the person started this whole lecture about how exercise is useless and that only watching what you eat matters to lose weight. So I said, so you're saying cardio and all that is useless to lose weight, what's the point of gyms and such? He was like people just want to make money.

I then pointed out that I actually did drop a lot of pounds from consistent exercise and diet over time. And he said well, that's all just because of your diet, and tried convincing me not to exercise anymore, but instead just diet and do zero cardio/workouts. I got a bit angry at this point as it seemed like he just said all the months of working out didn't contribute to any weight loss, and it was just my diet/eating less.

I concluded and asked him where he got his information from and he said a few videos on YouTube say exercise does not make you lose weight and it all depends on diet alone.

What's your take on this? I found it discouraging and somewhat felt I was being sabotaged of my weight loss. Thanks for your feedback and I apologize if this thread comes off a bit ranty.

PS: No offense but this person himself was trying to lose weight but always said he had no time to 'work out.'

Well, you don't have to actually exercise to lose weight-it's nice for overall health but it doesn't do a lot for weight loss except give you a few extra calories to eat. The cardio you've been doing has given you more wiggle room for your calorie intake, but you could still lose the weight without it-you'd just have to adjust your calorie intake down.

But, yeah it's best to just avoid these kind of conversations with people because weight loss is right up their with religion and politics :p

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Both diet and activity can contribute to a calorie deficit, but it is usually easier to eat less than exercise more.

I use both, though I do eat back many of my exercise calories.

If you choose to create your deficit primarily through exercise then you must be careful not to compensate by eating more. Again, this is a more difficult method, but possible.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I hope that person is not close to you, because he is an idiot. He's just trying to make excuses for his own lazy behavior.
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it easier not to eat a bar of chocolate rather then spending 30 minutes on the treadmill. I do exercise (weights) but more for body composition goals rather than weight loss. Exercise has tons of health benefits, I wouldn't let this person put you off.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    So I was talking about how I had been working out consistently trying to lose weight, along with cutting back on what I ate/dieting, and the person started this whole lecture about how exercise is useless and that only watching what you eat matters to lose weight. So I said, so you're saying cardio and all that is useless to lose weight, what's the point of gyms and such? He was like people just want to make money.

I then pointed out that I actually did drop a lot of pounds from consistent exercise and diet over time. And he said well, that's all just because of your diet, and tried convincing me not to exercise anymore, but instead just diet and do zero cardio/workouts. I got a bit angry at this point as it seemed like he just said all the months of working out didn't contribute to any weight loss, and it was just my diet/eating less.

I concluded and asked him where he got his information from and he said a few videos on YouTube say exercise does not make you lose weight and it all depends on diet alone.

What's your take on this? I found it discouraging and somewhat felt I was being sabotaged of my weight loss. Thanks for your feedback and I apologize if this thread comes off a bit ranty.

PS: No offense but this person himself was trying to lose weight but always said he had no time to 'work out.'

You're taking his opinion personally. You're presuming he's "dissing" your efforts. (He's not really right and that's been covered already) But it really doesn't matter what he thinks--what matters is what YOU think about yourself. Have a little faith in the fact you've seen results. That's what matters. What works for him...great. Whatever. Don't be so fragile that someone's else's sadly misinformed opinion can ruin your day.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    You're both onto something but he very much misstated his point or misunderstood what the videos meant.

First, if you lose weight by diet alone, close to 50% of the weight lost will be muscle. Not good at all.

Second, addressing his point, diet is more important than exercise. There's a saying "abs are made in the kitchen". There are a ton of people in gyms, showing up every day, busting their *kitten* for an hour and not seeing results because they don't have control of their nutrition. That was me for literally years.

Bottom line. The best results are from a solid exercise routine and diet plan.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    You're both onto something but he very much misstated his point or misunderstood what the videos meant.

First, if you lose weight by diet alone, close to 50% of the weight lost will be muscle. Not good at all.

Second, addressing his point, diet is more important than exercise. There's a saying "abs are made in the kitchen". There are a ton of people in gyms, showing up every day, busting their *kitten* for an hour and not seeing results because they don't have control of their nutrition. That was me for literally years.

Bottom line. The best results are from a solid exercise routine and diet plan.

Do you studies/research that backs this up? Thanks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would give zero credence to anyone who told me to stop exercising (unless it was a doctor for medical reasons, of course). While exercise is not required for weight loss, it can certainly help. And it is required for health. Being sedentary is bad for your health at any weight.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Why are you letting this one person discourage you so much?
    That said, I don't really announce my weight loss efforts to anyone. Less BS to listen to.
    But, honestly...you truly don't NEED exercise to lose weight...but it helps with your calorie deficit and is good for you. If it makes you happy, makes you look better and is good for you...keep on doing what you're doing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options

What? So you're saying if someone is 200lbs and 130lbs of that is lean mass, their lean mass will drop down to 65lbs? Lol, dude where are you getting your info?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png