Those discouraging articles and videos.

Options
Fatvaporizer
Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
edited January 2017 in Motivation and Support
Recently I've come across some articles and videos which say that exercise or working out doesn't contribute to weight loss at all, and that it's all just because of diet. Reading that stuff is discouraging because I want to be motivated to work out and exercise consistently to lose weight, only to have these articles and videos say it's pointless. And just to focus on dieting.

How do I know what to believe anymore? The videos and articles are sometimes by 'so and so phd people or doctors' but it seems so unreasonable of them to say exercise has no effect on weight loss.

In one video, it said that calories burned from exercise isn't even that much and a snack or a small meal could make you gain it all back, which is why it's pointless. Can someone please refute this and explain why exercising still makes you lose weight then? Thanks...

I just want my motivation back and not feel like I'm wasting time exercising to lose weight. I feel like all the progress I've made so far is just because of my diet, and I hate feeling like all that exercise I did over time didn't contribute to my weight loss, feeling like I wasted my time working out or exercising at the gym.

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    You have let your colleague get into your head
    Get him/her out now
    Do you like exercising, how is it making you feel
    What are the benefits of exercing
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I know someone who lost alot of weight with no exercise at all
    She is very slim now
    But when she wears swimwear you can see the wobbly bits, which make her feel uncomfortable
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just want my motivation back and not feel like I'm wasting time exercising to lose weight. I feel like all the progress I've made so far is just because of my diet, and I hate feeling like all that exercise I did over time didn't contribute to my weight loss, feeling like I wasted my time working out or exercising at the gym.
    Sorry to break it to you, but that's all true. Exercise doesn't cause weight loss, it just burns calories. But everything you do burns calories: just by living and breathing. So you don't need exercises to burn calories, your body already does that. Exercise is for building muscle. Weight loss comes from eating less calories than you burn in a day.

So these are two different things to focus on, depending on what motivates you:

- eat less calories if you want to lose weight
    - do workouts in the gym to gain muscle

But you can combine them of course. Doing workouts during your diet period will prevent that you lose muscle, but you will not really gain much muscle. It's always a good idea to do this, or else your body will burn muscles AND fat. If you do workouts after your diet period, you will start to gain muscle.
  • aurandrm
    aurandrm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, yes i suppose. For body composition, diet alone will not make significant progress towards a reasonable body composition goal
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    By pursuing my sport (cycling), I've had the chance to accomplish things I never imagined, I have travelled all over the world, I met my husband and a number of other friends. I moved to a new country and pursued a new career. And I also remained slim most of my life.

In addition, I've had doctors tell me that I'm doing great with my exercise. Most recently, I was diagnosed with a low grade version of pre-cancer ... but my oncologist told me that because I'm "fit, strong, and slender" (his words), I should be able to fight it off myself with no treatment!! I will be monitored to be sure.

Even if exercise didn't contribute to weight loss (and of course it does), I certainly wouldn't call what I've done in the way of cycling, walking, and all the other things I do a waste of time. Exercise has shaped my life ... and has been life changing.

Plus a good, long bicycle ride means I can eat pizza on the weekends. :mrgreen:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Reworded for some perspective:

Recently I've come across some articles and videos which say that working a second job doesn't contribute to getting more money at all, and that it's all just because of saving money. Reading that stuff is discouraging because I want to be motivated to work more to get more money, only to have these articles and videos say it's pointless. And just to focus on spending less.

How do I know what to believe anymore? The videos and articles are sometimes by 'so and so phd people or doctors' but it seems so unreasonable of them to say working has no effect on wealth.

In one video, it said that money earned from working more hours isn't even that much and an expense or small splurge could make you spend all the extra money you earned, which is why it's pointless. Can someone please refute this and explain why working still makes you gain money then? Thanks...

I just want my motivation back and not feel like I'm wasting time working to earn money. I feel like all the progress I've made so far is just because of my saving, and I hate feeling like all that work I did over time didn't contribute to my higher bank balance, feeling like I wasted my time working.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Restrict calories to lose weight, exercise to look good when it comes off. o:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why have you started another thread about this OP??
  • TertiusRoach
    TertiusRoach Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Look at it this way...
    Diet makes you lose weight by giving your body the proper nutrients. Exercise gives your body muscles and sexy curves for an attractive body, if you eat enough protein. If say for example, you eat almost no protein with just carbs and fat while exercising then you'll lose weight but most of it will be muscle which makes a person look awkward and lanky (Known as skinny fat). You do actually gain weight when you exercise, but it's good muscle weight, sexy weight, if you will. It's all about balance, research and consistency which after 1.5 years of experimenting I'm only starting to scratch the surface.
    So don't get discouraged, have fun, make-up exercises, experiment and become your own guinea pig because to me that's the most fun when it comes to a healthy journey.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I feel like all the progress I've made so far is just because of my diet...

The progress in shedding pounds is mostly because of your diet. Cutting the number of calories you eat by 500 per day is much easier to do, and has a bigger impact on weight loss, than burning an extra 100 through exercise. However, any calories burned (and not eaten) through exercise increases your caloric deficit which leads to greater weight loss.
    Reading that stuff is discouraging because I want to be motivated to work out and exercise consistently to lose weight...

If you are exercising ONLY to lose weight (and therefore plan to stop if it isn't contributing significantly to that goal and definitely stop when you reach your goal), then you probably ARE wasting your time, because the number of calories you are burning through exercise absolutely can be wiped out by the food you eat and therefore not significantly contribute to weight loss. If you understand that exercise makes you a healthier person and therefore is valuable throughout your life and at any weight, then you aren't wasting your time.