Rowing vs Spinning classes

Options
I have been doing 5 x cycling 45 mins classes a week in the gym for the last six months now. I am getting a bit bored with the music and find myself watching the clock. Would rowing (6k a day) be as beneficial? I have not found myself losing a great amount of weight cycling. Rowing seems to be more fun.

What do you think?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging your calories ... doing that would probably have more results in terms of weight loss.

As for exercise ... mix it up! I walk, cycle, go to the gym to run/walk on the treadmill and row, canoe, lift weights, hike, even jog on the beach occasionally.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you're not losing weight you need to look at your calorie deficit (or lack there of!)
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Rowing is a great exercise, I know I couldn't do a spinning class 5 days a week.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I love spinning classes when I can take them, but I've rowed crew for the past 5 years (on the water) and it's an amazing workout. In the wintertime, lots of people use the Ergs (rowing machines). That's an awesome workout, but your form is CRITICAL. If you decide to do rowing, make sure you find someone that can show you the proper technique or you could risk injury or not getting the benefits of the workout. Rowing is about 80% legs, not arms as many people think. I agree though, switch it up!! Have fun!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I find that mixing in ALL types of exercise helps to fight boredom, helps to keep me involved in working out, helps to keep me coming back for more etc. I run, outside weather and light permitting (I know, I'm such a wimp "It's too cold, it's too dark") inside on the treadmill or elliptical otherwise, I lift (Strong Lifts 5x5 currently), and I row. Haven't use the stationary bike yet, on it's own or as part of a spin class, but the possibility is not out of the question.

Mixing it up keeps it fresh and more enjoyable.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    if you're not losing weight you need to look at your calorie deficit (or lack there of!)

^^^ This.....weight loss happens in the kitchen and you can lose weight without exercise (but don't stop exercising, the health benefits you accrue from regularly exercising are priceless)

I couldn't imagine doing the same thing 5 or 6 weekly to the exclusion of other activities, it's no wonder you're bored. I ride, I run, I row as well as swimming & strength training. Mix them up a little, variety is the spice of life!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've found it hard to row as long as I can cycle...therefore smaller calorie burn. But rowing is a full body workout. So maybe substitute rowing for cycling once or twice a week might help break up the boredom.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

weight loss happens in the kitchen

This is the myth I hate most.

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. You can achieve that by restricting your diet, by exercising, or by some combination of the two. There isn't a one-size-fits-all approach. Pretending a calorie deficit is only possible from food restriction is simply untrue.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would get bored doing anything x5 a week. Why not mix it up? As a thought - rowing is a good warm up for weights....

Rowing is different but quite complimentary to cycling - hence why you see quite a lot of crossover of athletes between the two sports. Rowing isn't a full body workout (why do so many people say that?) but obviously works more muscles than cycling.

If you aren't losing weight eat less or move more - switching exercise from Spinning to rowing is highly unlikely to change your rate of weight loss. You would need to increase the volume of exercise if you are looking at exercise to drive your weight loss and switching from 45 mins of cycling to rowing would be unlikely to achieve that as rowing "typically" tends to be a fairly short duration. I did a 2hr charity row once and it was pure evil..... I rarely see anyone in my gyms rowing more than 20 minutes.
    Can you not cycle outdoors which is far more enjoyable and opens up the possibility of considerably increasing your exercise volume?

"Rowing seems to be more fun" - subjective but personally I would find the equivalent time rowing as compared to cycling tedious in the extreme unless you can completely zone out to music.

My recommendation would be:
    Spin x3 a week (if you enjoy it) or cycle outdoors preferably.
    Row and / or weight train x2 (or x3) a week.
    Eat less.

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I row 3 days a week for 45 minutes or more, and don't get bored. The other days I mix it up with running, biking, and lifting. I used to row every day and loved it.