Running Socks vs Cycling Socks

Options
Does anyone know if there's any significant difference between running and cycling socks? As a cyclist originally I've always worn cycling socks as that's what I've had. I'm now getting to need replacements and just wondered if there's any difference between them? Does anyone that uses both have a preference?

I'm exclusively running at the moment (mix of surfaces) so will probably opt for some running socks for now, but I'll likely get back into (road) cycling later in the year with a view of getting into triathlons if that makes a difference.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I buy whatever wool socks I can find on sale. That gets me a variety, and I tend to choose which ones to wear on a given day based on (1) what's clean, and (2) thin and low if it's hot, thick and high if it's cold, but also (3) the right thickness for the shoes I'm going to wear.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Interesting question, I wear the same socks for everything. Never thought about specialized socks for different activities.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use the same for both running & cycling. If you are thinking of triathlons you may want to consider getting tri specific cycling & running shoes. They're designed to be worn without sock as pulling socks onto wet feet after your swim is a PITA.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Glad it's not just me - I've always just worn what I've had available which is cycling socks as I only started running about 6 months ago. Like @NorthCascades I'll probably just stick to what's on offer.

As for triathlon, if I get hooked (as suspect I will) I'll definitely look at getting specific shoes but for now it's just a bucket list item I thought I'd cross off my list now I've started running!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Personally I have the special double layer anti blister socks for running and don't tend to wear them in my cycle shoes as they are thicker so it gets a little tight compared to the normal trainer liner type socks I wear for spin or outdoor cycling.
  • MichaelJSwann
    MichaelJSwann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cycling socks are thinner and designed to wick sweat. Running socks are thicker and the good ones are reinforced in the toe and the heel.

I'd recommend you stick with the right socks for the right activity. I don't like using running socks on the bike. Just doesn't feel right in my shoes.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I steal my kids socks cause I can never find mine.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I buy football socks from football shops in England. If it works for the ever-running footballers, it works for me and I'm not a regular runner.

For cardio, I use the no show pima cotton socks which suck up sweat very well.

Socks are my thing. I have not worn shoes for weightlifting in almost 2 years. Just socks.

Oh my god, you're Johnny Cotton Socks! :smile: