Freezing after I work out

Options
Is anyone else bone chilling cold after they workout? What causes this? The internet says it has to do w/ wet clothes but I change my clothes and I'm cold for hours later. The only thing that really works is a hot shower.

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Even after I change I have a hard time regulating my body temperature after a run.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I guess you've worked out outdoors. Do you use a Base Layer. Also having too much on can cause you to sweat and get cold from your own sweat. Ideally when you go out your should feel a slight chill but not freezing also you don't want to feel warm before you start working out.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you sweat a lot and get chilled from it, try wearing a wool base layer and dressing minimally so that you're a little chilly when you leave your front door (a cup of warm tea will fix that) but comfortable once you warm up.

Then have a nice hot shower and a change of clothes when you get home.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I plug in my electric blankie and it is all ready for me when I come back from a run.

I live in the middle of Canada so I am intimate with cold.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Always.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm often cold all day on days I swim. I drink hot tea and wear an extra sweater
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I definitely have this problem...and I work out indoors in the winter.
    On the nights I go to the gym after work, I tend to freeze as I'm trying to sleep, even after a hot shower.
    All that helps is 4 blankets and 3 pairs of socks.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. I read that it often happens to women because we have more "surface area" that cools down than men. Could be total BS. All I know is that I workout indoors and am very hot and sweaty afterwards and then about an hour later I'm freezing and huddling under blankets and wearing multiple layers around. The only thing that will warm me up is a hot shower.
  • fayecheshire
    fayecheshire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I get this coldness too but only after a spin class. Usually a hot soak in the bath brings me back to normal.
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Interesting you ask because I was wondering why I was cold this last week since working out and it's the middle of summer in Australia.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I get this, summer and winter. I figure my metabolism is revved up while I'm working, but as soon as I stop, it slows way down. I'm a hiker and runner and have had issues with borderline hypothermia in the past. (One reason I don't backpack solo any more.) I've learned to change into dry clothes as soon as I stop, get a hot shower as soon as possible, and eat or drink something (which seems to get the internal heatpump going again.) A cup of hot chocolate, coffee or soup really help.
  • Aidan2552
    Aidan2552 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Could result from low blood circulation. Try stretching after to help get blood flowing throughout your body.

If you're exercising outdoors or in cool temperatures, wear some warmer clothing and stretch as well.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. I don't feel cold after working out, but my skin gets cold and stays that way for at least an hour. I thought it was because I was running in freezing temperatures, but last night I lifted late and when I got into bed after taking a shower my husband told me my skin was freezing. I have no idea what causes it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,891 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens to me quite frequently on days when I exercise outside and the temp is below about 5C/40F.

I've tried everything ... wearing appropriate layers, changing immediately, hot shower, turning the heat up, wrapping myself in blankets with a heating pad, eating/drinking something warm ... but you're right, it is like being chilled to the bone and these things just don't work. Or at least, it seems to take a while for them to work. Employing all these techniques, it usually takes me 2-3 hours before I start to warm up.

Interestingly, the same thing has started to happen to me when I ride my trainer (bicycle on device to hold it in one place) in our unheated basement. It will be about 5C/40F outside, but somewhat warmer in the basement ... and yet about 10 minutes after I finish a workout, I am so chilled.
  • nbradford75
    nbradford75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Glad to know I'm not alone. I'm working out indoors BTW. I did add the electric blanket to my warm up regime. It helps a lot. I take a HOT shower, crank the blanket up to high, get a cup of tea and hunker down. :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. After losing weight, it's worse. I have fairly low blood pressure, so I think circulation might have something to do with it. Hot showers don't work for me. If I'm really cold (after a workout outside in the cold) only a hot bath works (and thumbs up to the tea!). I actually have to turn the shower down if I get in after my always-warm-husband because my skin is so cold, I can't tolerate showers as hot as he can.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,891 Member
    Options
    I too have low blood pressure ... at times, really low. So maybe that does have something to do with it.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I experience this when running outside...even in summer...in Texas!! While I'm running, I get hot and sweaty. When I get home, after I've cooled off a bit, I'm freezing cold. The only things that help are a super hot shower or sitting outside when its 100+ degrees F outside. Lol!
  • leesagagliardi
    leesagagliardi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A trip to the Dr's just to make sure your BP ect is all ok won't hurt...