anyone who lost weight and gained it back, but ended up losing it again?

Options
SadDolt
SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Back in May 2011 i was 256. By Feb 2013 I was 150. My weight loss journey between May 2011 and Feb 2013 was effortless, and was losing maybe 1.5lbs per week on average, even when I wasn't trying to. Then in 2013 I started gaining, and 3 years later I am back to 229. In those 3 years I tried losing weight but it seemed I would always be stuck between losing 4 pounds and gaining them back right after.

I remember back in late 2013 when I was around 166 but couldn't get down to 160. I would always give up because I was so hungry. I honestly don't know what was going on with my head or my body. Anyone else have this problem but overcame it and lost all the weight again??? Why do I feel so damn hungry????? These past 3 years I've from eating 1100 to 1200 to 1600 and even 1700, but nothing seems like enough???!!! When I don't care about how much I eat I always end up eating 2300. When I originally lost weight I was eating 1400-1500 (o whatever I liked), and seemed perfectly fine but now that seems like nothing!!! Recently I've been getting back on track and everything seems fine but I feel like I won't lose anything

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I always put on about 10 Lbs over winter (I lost 40 total)...I always cut it in Spring.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    LOL, I did. Well, am losing, anyway. I had an eating disorder that began when I was 10-12 and weighed 110-120 pounds, but then got pregnant at 22 (which obviously means I started eating, haha) and ballooned up-- I was 225 pounds when I went into labor! Afterwards I dropped down to about 135, 140. Then I broke up with my son's father, who was wildly abusive, and ended up going back up to 190 (well, possibly more. I refused to step on a scale!). Right now I'm down to 156... It was definitely slower when I first started losing, I think? But I just kept chugging along and eventually, I started to see some changes. Your body has to adjust, like anything else! I'm looking forward to shedding the last 15-20 pounds and then toning up. :smile:
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Back in 2011/2012 I lost over 100 pounds and kept it off most of that year. Then I got dumped and found out I was pregnant all within a week, so I went through some pretty deep depression. I gained back all the weight plus 50 additional pounds. I'm starting over again, but I feel confident that this time I can do it.

For me, it really was due to my depression and anxiety. I also developed fibromyalgia after having my daughter, and I wallowed/stress ate. Additionally, I started drinking diet soda (Diet Dr. Pepper specifically) and the sweetener in that can actually make your body crave carbs, and makes you gain weight. If you drink diet soda, it would explain that feeling hungry all the time. I'm in the process of switching to coffee/tea and mostly water.

Last time I only had to walk to lose the weight, I was also a full-time student living on student loans, so it limited how much I could eat. This time is different because my body has changed, my living situation is different, my entire life is different. I have to accommodate to the changes.

oh yeah i def had to cut out diet soda. i had a thing where if i drank soda i wanted to eat something with it so i could enjoy the soda more ...?? :D:# i only drink water or apple juice now
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 or 70 when I was in college, then gained it back and then lost it a couple of years ago.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    That was me. I lost a bunch of weight, but gained it back over a few years after getting lazy. I've almost got back down to my previous goal weight. This time it is staying off for good!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I too have done this on a smaller scale. Lost 20, gained 10, lost 10 gained, etc etc. Right now, I'm currently +15 from my prepregnancy weight, which is basically everything I gained and it's almost been 3 months! Someone said the mentality to keep is you lost it once, you can do it again.

You have to have the lifestyle mindset. The changes you make have to be ones that you'll keep forever. Or you'll find yourself here again.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    SadDolt wrote: »
    oh yeah i def had to cut out diet soda. i had a thing where if i drank soda i wanted to eat something with it so i could enjoy the soda more ...?? :D:# i only drink water or apple juice now

This is so true for me too. Like most stuff to do with health I'm sure there are people out there who can drink diet soda without it being a problem but I'm definitely not one of them... which is very sad because I love the stuff and it's the only thing apart from water that I drink. So it's just water for me now.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my entire life. I lost when I was a teenager, then gained it back plus some. Then lost again when I was early 20's and gained it back plus some. And as of today, I'm down 74 pounds in the past year.

I would say closely monitor your calories. If you feel like you're not eating enough, why not work out to allow yourself some more food allowance? Also, I know weight loss is only about a calorie deficit but I would make sure you're getting foods that are keeping you full since that seems to be the issue. Make sure you're getting enough protein and try looking for fulfilling snacks that aren't so calorie dense. Good luck!
  • metalellie1
    metalellie1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In 2009/10 I went from 197 to 140 then started gaining it again straight away. I managed to stay between 154 and 161 for a couple of years with constant attempts to get back to 140 that felt ridiculously hard! I've been up and down a lot and finally got back up to 189, which was my starting weight in August 2016, I've lost 16lbs since then. I've managed to get rid of the 'all or nothing' mentality now and don't stress out if I have a day of higher calories. I'm also exercising a lot more which is making a difference, and scrapping the time limits (reaching goal by a certain date).

If you feel hungry all the time then maybe start at a lower deficit and see how you feel, as little as 100 calories if needs be, and build on it when you feel able. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to do exactly as you did last time as it will never be the same.

Good luck!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    In 2012 I went from 220 to 155, but stopped logging and gained it back very quickly. In 2016, I went from 215 to 150 and have had success maintaining since September. It takes hard work to keep it off.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well 2300 doesn't seem excessive to me because it's my maintenance, but I have to be very active to keep that up (I'm 38, 5'5", and have to walk about 12k steps a day to get there).

But I hear you. I lost 80 pounds eating 1600-1700 and it was easy, and maintenance has been really tough. It's actually much harder to eat 2300 now than it was to eat 1600 at the time! But I've maintained my loss (ok, more or less 5 pounds) by keeping a deficit whenever possible - my goal is still 1800. Most days I stick to it, some days I go over (some days way over), but overall, I'm maintaining. And yeah, I have to stay active... there's easily a 800-1000 calorie difference in my TDEE if I take a rest day!

I guess the key is to try to limit 'empty' calories, especially on days when you're hungrier... eat more filling/nutritious foods. If you're less hungry one day and have extra calories, indulge a little bit if you feel like it... if not, save those calories for another day. And just keep a small deficit - 400/500 calories.

For what it's worth though, I still can't lose my last 5 lbs (plus the 5 I've gained back in 2.5 years), so it's definitely not as easy as it sounds. Sigh.