When you are doing a recomp, do you eat at maintenance?

Options
I just want to clarify...when doing a recomp, do you eat at maintenance?

I currently get 100 g of protein per day. Most of my cals are from carbs bc they are my source of energy. My maintenance cals are 2100 per day. I'm 5'8" and 131 lbs right now. I just did a slow bulk and went from 126 lbs to 131 lbs over eight months.

My body fat right now is about 20% and I'd like to get to about 18 % body fat.

I'm happy with the muscle definition on my upper body, so I'm just maintaining upper now (but would like to do unassisted chin ups), but still want to make serious gains in my glutes and lower body.

Thanks

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yes, the goal of recomposition is to maintain the same body weight but increase muscle mass and decrease fat. Same body weight be definition is maintenance calories.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    how is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle at maintenance?
  • UltraTacks
    UltraTacks Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    Its not

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's not just possible - it's totally normal if you are providing a suitable stimulus for muscle growth.

@serapel
    You have seen the recomp thread I assume?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

To answer the calorie balance question - at or very close to maintenance is the answer.
    If you want to be absolutely precise someone losing fat and gaining equal amount of muscle at the same weight is actually at a very tiny energy deficit due to the different energy stored in fat versus muscle (a pound of butter has more energy than a pound of steak!).

I managed to add muscle at a tiny deficit over a period of 6 months but that was at a rate of loss of 1lb/month. The more highly trained and leaner you are the less chance of that happening.

• sijomial
    Options
    UltraTacks wrote: »
    Its not

@UltraTacks
    Oh yes it is! :)

Have a read of this Eric Helms article if interested....
    (Or just skip to the conclusion if short of time.)
    http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I mean it doesn't happen simultaneously exactly, as far as I understand while eating at maintenance your body will go into anabolic and catabolic states where some days/weeks you will be gaining and some weeks losing so in the end you can lose fat and build muscle over a long period of time (as long as you are progressively lifting of course).

The only thing is "making serious gains" at maintenance can be a longer process so patience is key.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It's possible. It's just that it can take a long time to notice any significant gains.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    edited January 2017
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I mean it doesn't happen simultaneously exactly, as far as I understand while eating at maintenance your body will go into anabolic and catabolic states where some days/weeks you will be gaining and some weeks losing so in the end you can lose fat and build muscle over a long period of time (as long as you are progressively lifting of course).

The only thing is "making serious gains" at maintenance can be a longer process so patience is key.
    @sardelsa
    Your body is constantly cycling between anabolic and catabolic states whether you are losing, maintaining or gaining. It's doing this many times a day depending on speed of digestion and quantity of your last meal.
    Being in a small surplus or deficit (or perfect maintenance) doesn't change that, it just changes very slightly the proportions of the two states.
    Also being in a small deficit doesn't stop muscle synthesis, people can and do add muscle mass in a small deficit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks @sijomial ! Very interesting :)
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible.

Might not happen quickly since you're already pretty athletic but it will probably be more fun than trying to cut. You will probably recover better and make some strength gains.

You could also consider shooting for a overall weekly maintenance goal and have some days at a deficit and some days at a small surplus.

I'm about 4 months into a recomp right now and I'm making slow but steady progress. But I'm a dude and I also got a quick jolt from starting creatine. Things are moving slower now and some people might not have the patience to do it.

There use to be a group called "women that bulk" and there were women in that thread that made obvious physique improvements while being at or around the same scale weight. Maybe search for that thread. It was a couple years ago.

Best of luck.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes..more or less maintenance and training. This is what most people with fitness physiques do...they train and eat to support their training and over time develop nice physiques...I tend to look at recomp as a byproduct of eating well and training. Most athletes I know do not do bulk and cut cycles outside of my body building friends.
  • serapel
    Options
    This is all very interesting. Thank you!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes the goal is to eat at maintenance and yes it's absolutely possible to recomp.

• serapel
    Options
    I've been reading about calorie cycling for a recomp. Is there any science or truth to this?

Eat 15% over maintenance on weight days
    East 10% below maintenance on non weight days
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Jumping at this point because I'm curious about the answer to this last part, I've been doing the calorie cycling during the week as well and ending the week at or slightly above my maintenance average.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about calorie cycling for a recomp. Is there any science or truth to this?

I comment to get answers too, since I am trying that approach right now, started this month so I have no idea if it's good or not.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

It depends on how many workout/rest days you have as that will dictate whether you end the week in a calorie surplus/deficit. I don't think there is any scientific evidence to support that but there are many logs of EOD refeeds/calorie cycling on the internet with varying results.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

It depends on how many workout/rest days you have as that will dictate whether you end the week in a calorie surplus/deficit. I don't think there is any scientific evidence to support that but there are many logs of EOD refeeds/calorie cycling on the internet with varying results.

So hitting the weekly calorie goal, is what works better? Say, now I'm at a slight deficit, so in a week I should get 13k calories total.
  • sijomial
    Options

Could you share what you have been reading?
    There was an article on MFP but it was truly awful TBH with a ludicrous focus on calories and very little on training - which is where the stimulus for growth starts.

"Is there any science?"
    Don't know but would question:
    Was there a comparison between similar people doing the same training protocol but with different eating patterns?
    Was there any attempt to measure and quantify any different results if seen?
    Would such a small calorie shift really make any significant difference?

You could actually make the opposite case for underfeeding on training days and overfeeding the next day - bearing in mind muscle protein synthesis is elevated after training does it really make sense to switch to a deficit when the growth is occurring?
    That was the logical flaw in one article I read, they stated (inaccurately) that muscle can't be built in a deficit and then suggested to switch to a deficit when you are building muscle which would result in better growth - huh?

Personally I train for performance, eat for enjoyment/health/energy and recomp is a by-product of my training. I'm not even food logging and that's not making any difference at all.
    You can tell I'm very sceptical! The idea comes across as a needless/pointless complication to me.

• serapel
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Could you share what you have been reading?
    There was an article on MFP but it was truly awful TBH with a ludicrous focus on calories and very little on training - which is where the stimulus for growth starts.

"Is there any science?"
    Don't know but would question:
    Was there a comparison between similar people doing the same training protocol but with different eating patterns?
    Was there any attempt to measure and quantify any different results if seen?
    Would such a small calorie shift really make any significant difference?

You could actually make the opposite case for underfeeding on training days and overfeeding the next day - bearing in mind muscle protein synthesis is elevated after training does it really make sense to switch to a deficit when the growth is occurring?
    That was the logical flaw in one article I read, they stated (inaccurately) that muscle can't be built in a deficit and then suggested to switch to a deficit when you are building muscle which would result in better growth - huh?

Personally I train for performance, eat for enjoyment/health/energy and recomp is a by-product of my training. I'm not even food logging and that's not making any difference at all.
    You can tell I'm very sceptical! The idea comes across as a needless/pointless complication to me.

Bret Contreras stated that all you need is optimal protein and eating a maintenance to recomp. Progressive overload each week is key.

I like this better personally. I don't want to eat in a deficit ever.