Dealing with family

Options
I'm trying to eat healthier (and somewhat failing for a number of different reasons) and would like to start trying to gain more muscle (I posted a different discussion about starting that and got great answers). My issue is family. How do I deal with them?

I'm smaller (by no means overweight and I do acknowledge that) and have a build that allows me to be. I eat enough generally (we all have our days we don't) and have a fairly active lifestyle. People outside my family say I look great for the most part and are usually very enthusiastic about my fairly active lifestyle and my love of exercise.

My family is a different story...
They tell me I'll end up in the hospital since I 'don't eat' and am 'already a stick.' I can show them my food diary and they'll literally accuse me of adding in fake food that wasn't actually eaten. They're completely convinced I have an eating disorder (I don't).
It's gotten to where they'll prepare me foods and purposely add in extra butter or other fats (just for my portion) and won't go some places to eat with me because 'there's not enough calories in the food there.' I also won't let them hug me anymore because they'll hug me and then promptly mention that I'm 'wasting away' or that I've 'lost weight.'

For financial reasons I can't move out (I'm working towards that being a goal) so it's pretty much constant. I'm trying to eat more healthily and all of this is making it even harder then it already is. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat healthier (and somewhat failing for a number of different reasons) and would like to start trying to gain more muscle (I posted a different discussion about starting that and got great answers). My issue is family. How do I deal with them?

I'm smaller (by no means overweight and I do acknowledge that) and have a build that allows me to be. I eat enough generally (we all have our days we don't) and have a fairly active lifestyle. People outside my family say I look great for the most part and are usually very enthusiastic about my fairly active lifestyle and my love of exercise.

My family is a different story...
    They tell me I'll end up in the hospital since I 'don't eat' and am 'already a stick.' I can show them my food diary and they'll literally accuse me of adding in fake food that wasn't actually eaten. They're completely convinced I have an eating disorder (I don't).
    It's gotten to where they'll prepare me foods and purposely add in extra butter or other fats (just for my portion) and won't go some places to eat with me because 'there's not enough calories in the food there.' I also won't let them hug me anymore because they'll hug me and then promptly mention that I'm 'wasting away' or that I've 'lost weight.'

For financial reasons I can't move out (I'm working towards that being a goal) so it's pretty much constant. I'm trying to eat more healthily and all of this is making it even harder then it already is. Any suggestions?

Any chance of going to a doctor and getting an evaluation done? Maybe make a deal with your family that all of you (yourself included) accept what the doctor says and move on? So if the doctor does say you are underweight, you agree to do something about it and if the doctor agrees you are a healthy weight, they agree to back off?
  • horsesdontjudge
    horsesdontjudge Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Any chance of going to a doctor and getting an evaluation done? Maybe make a deal with your family that all of you (yourself included) accept what the doctor says and move on? So if the doctor does say you are underweight, you agree to do something about it and if the doctor agrees you are a healthy weight, they agree to back off?[/quote]

Last time I went to a doctor I wasn't underweight and both my parents and the doctor challenged it stating that I 'didn't look like I weighed 'x'' so I don't have much faith in that...