Measuring food in grams or ounces?

Watched a couple of YouTube videos during lunch today and I noticed that most of the individuals were measuring using grams. I have a food scale and I have been measuring primarily meat in ounces. I've been using measuring cups and spoons -- but watched a video that it was better to weigh on the food scale. I've been eating a lot of raw veggies, some fruit, and prepackaged items.

It's been roughly a month, and I'm already eyeballing portions. I want to be more diligent with my food diary when I'm preparing my meals.

Now I'm wondering if it makes a difference to weigh food in grams vs ounces.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    I do both! My scale does both and I measure based on what the label says or even what I can find in the MFP data base. If I find chicken breast and it's based on ounces? I dont convert I just weight in ounces.

As long as your tracking accurately it won't matter what unit of measurement you go by
  • ssajwa1
    ssajwa1 Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    As long as you are measuring accurately and finding relevant database entries I don't think it matters.

But, to put it into perspective, just about every country in the world besides the US (and one or two other rare exceptions) use metric measurements, and it seems that even US uses grams for a lot of things, so you will obviously find references to grams out there on the internet. So my advice - catch up with the rest of the world and use grams ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Mine does both, but I believe grams are more accurate and EASIER to convert if you ate a portion of a serving.
    If one doesn't know math well, how does one convert it if they ate 1/6 of a 6oz steak?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Just over 28g..... heheheh....
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    They're both accurate; grams are more precise. Either work fine as long as you're able to do conversions when needed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Doesn't make much difference, but I prefer grams. US food labels will have grams as an alternative when cups are used, and the USDA entries (my primary source) has 100 g options for a serving size, and logging 43 grams as .43 of 100 grams is way easier than messing with oz conversions. Plus, now that I'm used to grams I have a sense of them and like them. Despite growing up in the Imperial system and intuitively knowing lb for other things, oz don't mean much to me (I rarely dealt with things that small before getting into food weighing).

Plus, my prior experience with food scales was for baking and I used grams then.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    I measure everything in ounces..

It's an old habit that at 66 I'm not going to change now. Can't "think" in terms of grams, liters or meters. Only in ounces, pounds, gallons and feet, etc.

Never found it a problem in using MFP to track my food intake.

Whenever there's a food entry that I want to use that's listed in metric, I just change the measurement in the listing to ounces in my food log and enter how ever many ounces as measured. MFP allows you to do this quite easily.

Whenever I eat just a fraction of a listed serving, I just divide the weight of what I ate by the listed weight of the serving For example, if the listing for 1 serving is for 6 ounces and I only ate 4, I just divide 4 by 6 which equals .667 which I enter as the serving amount. MFP will then change the amount of the listing to 4 ounces in my log.

It's simple and there's no need to resort to metric unless you really want to do so.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I measure everything in ounces..

It's an old habit that at 66 I'm not going to change now. Can't "think" in terms of grams, liters or meters. Only in ounces, pounds, gallons and feet, etc.

Never found it a problem in using MFP to track my food intake.

Whenever there's a food entry that I want to use that's listed in metric, I just change the measurement in the listing to ounces in my food log and enter how ever many ounces as measured. MFP allows you to do this quite easily.

Whenever I eat just a fraction of a listed serving, I just divide the weight of what I ate by the listed weight of the serving For example, if the listing for 1 serving is for 6 ounces and I only ate 4, I just divide 4 by 6 which equals .667 which I enter as the serving amount. MFP will then change the amount of the listing to 4 ounces in my log.

It's simple and there's no need to resort to metric unless you really want to do so.

And coming from Australia, where we don't do ounces, I only know how to work in grams!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I can do both - but I totally prefer grams - Just the decimal system is so much easier to deal with.
    My scale can also do both but I never if they are US or UK measurements (yes there is a difference)

The main thing IMO is that you weigh vs measure volume (cups etc)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I find it easier to log grams. Use the usda 100 grams servings makes the conversion so easy.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I prefer grams too. You're actually eliminating the math conversion step that way. I mean, really, how often is a chicken breast EXACTLY 4 oz?
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    I prefer to use grams, as it is just slightly more precise, and the math is easier.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Personally I use grams which convert nicely to milliliters when measuring liquids. Nearly 1 to 1 for most things. Haven't come across any packaging that didn't list a serving size in grams (in addition to ounces) and it just feels more precise and cleaner conversions.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I typically use grams, but only because I try and aim for the package serving size and those are measured by the gram. It just makes logging more convenient.