Over 40 and weight loss

I'm 45 and at the biggest I've ever been. This is my first day with this app and I'm very hopeful to lose my weight!

Replies

• LupusChic41
    LupusChic41 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi I'm 41 and just starting out. I've a lot to lose. I'm going for the low carb diet. What diet are you trying out ?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I lost 80 lbs in 12 months by eating whatever I felt like within my calorie limit.

Easy peasy.

Stick around, read the stickies, and best wishes!

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,096 Member
    Age really doesn't matter (I'm in my 50's), and just eat within your calorie goal. No need for restricting any food from your diet (unless you are allergic, have other health issues, or it is a known trigger food for you). Just eat below the calorie goal consistently, and you will lose. Adding exercise helps you get additional food calories to eat, and is good for your overall fitness. Over time, as you learn to eat within your calorie goal, you may want to start to look at your macros (protein, carbs, fats) to balance your nutrition, but to lose weight it really is more about that calorie goal.

One tip: If you ever find you have to estimate your calories (because you don't have your food scale, like at a restaurant), it is always better to overestimate your calories. (Most people way under estimate their calories eaten.) And, if given the choice, always underestimate your calorie burn from exercise. (Most people way over estimate their calorie burn.) That way, you have a bigger buffer for weight loss.
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    ausomemama wrote: »
    I'm 45 and at the biggest I've ever been. This is my first day with this app and I'm very hopeful to lose my weight!

I made significant progress using mfp and exercising up til about 3 years ago. Had a few life changing events happen and well I am back in the boat I was prior. looking to drop 54-60 lbs this go round.

Here are some key tips I use.
    * don't restrict what you eat unless you have some special dietary need
    * The quality of the fuel you put into the body is huge (avoid processed foods or at least as much as you can)
    * Exercise to burn calories. I did Ta kwon Do back then but now just getting started again I am power walking on my treadmill and outdoors when the weather is good.
    * Accept that you will have bad days / weigh-ins we all do
    * Weigh weekly, same day, same time.

good luck

• eattless
    eattless Posts: 10 Member
    hey im new here...I have never had weight issues, but now that I am 43 I am just a little overweight, so I want to lose 10lbs. I feel more tired in the 40's and just overall blah (sure other woman understand) Anyhow, I am making sure to do my daily excercise,which helps emmensly, eating with nutritional needs without all the junk and overall trying to stay focused...we all have our down days for sure lol Happy weekend people!
  • shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    BringItOnL wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but I try to stay away from carbs as much as possible oh I crave them!(hypoglycemia) but they make me sluggish and want more... and I've heard this from people with out hypoglycemia.

For me, I have to really limit my carbs and sugar or else I crave more and have a hard time stopping. So for me, while "calories in, calories out" sounds great and makes sense, it is not that simple for me. Sugary foods and carbs lead to more sugary foods and carbs for me and then I fall off the wagon...
  • Itsmeefrogee
    Itsmeefrogee Posts: 2 Member
    I started out 3 years ago at my heaviest weight ever. I was almost 30 pounds over my goal weight, I have lost about 15 pounds since I started. I have been off and on with the weight loss effort but have not gained in that time. I am now within 10 - 15 pounds of my goal weight. I'm 52 and find it is harder at this age to lose than it was when I was younger, but I'm all in. I don't follow a specific diet, I just stay within my calorie range and do a ton of walking. Food restrictions just make me want to eat it all the more.