Home weights recommendation

Options
I don't do much weight lifting at the gym because I feel somewhat intimidated by people possibly watching and it's usually pretty busy. I would like to start lifting at home so I can get more comfortable with it. I need recommendations for a good started weight set. I would like a bench so I can do the sit up with weights I see people doing at the gym and weights to do deadlifts. Any suggestions? Also can't afford to spend tons on it.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Probably Craigslist.

Since you're on a budget, look for a squat rack with spotter arms. An Olympic barbell, and preferably bumper plates so you can drop them without messing up your floor -- although not required.

If you can spend a little extra I would recommend buying a power rack. You can also make one as outlined in the book Starting Strength which you should buy and read no matter who you are.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Amazon has a thousand pound rated TDS open power rack with a pullup bar for 190 bucks. You can get a 300 pound Olympic set with a cheap bar at dicks for 200. No bench recommendations, I got a 500 pound rated one cheap on Amazon.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you have a Play It again Sports or other sporting good consignment store in your area, that would be a great place to start. All you really need is a bench, squat racks, bar and plates. Look into StrongLifts 5x5.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Things to cheap out on: Plates, collars, gym clothes.
    Things to never cheap out on: Racks, bars.

For bars, look at the Cap OB86PB and OB86PBCK barbells. They're not top-shelf, but very serviceable and relatively inexpensive. If you can only get one, get the latter; the center knurl will make squats easier. They run USD 140-180 or so each.

Inexpensive for racks has a different meaning. I have the Rogue SML-1 with spotter arms. All rogue gear is rock-solid. This rack and safeties - absolutely essential for bench pressing - runs USD 600.

Plates can be had for about USD 260 on Amazon for a decent set. Cap has a set on Amazon for USD 262 with a bar, but be aware the bar is junk. The knurl isn't aggressive enough and its sleeves are sloppy and loose.

Look at Titan Fitness for a flat bench - or pretty much anything you'd look at for Rogue gear - as well; they're copying Rogue's designs well and tend to be less expensive.

To protect floors, get horse stall mats. They're usually 4 ft x 6 ft and can be readily cut to shape with a new razor-knife.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I got lucky a couple of years ago. I found a power rack with safeties, bench, plates & bar for $300. I use it 5x/week. I've bought some DB bars that I can use my weight plates with, a foam roller, yoga mats & some bands.