Proper Eating.

Options
So I have always lost weight on low carb. It's not the lifestyle I want forever. How do you feel about the good old, fruits, veggies, meat, plus working out diet??? Effective for weightloss??? What have you had best experience with?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Best experiences = eating less than I burn. If eating fruit, vegies,meat and working out means you're in a deficit, and that's what makes you happy and satisfied, do that!

If you want to include the occasional chocolate, Icecream, pizza or burger and fries, and you're still in a deficit, go for that too!
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think this works for people who want to continue eating that way for life. When you lose weight you want to do it in a way that you can continue with maintenance and be successful in keeping the weight off, not just losing it.

You said 'I have always lost weight on low carb', to me that is a sign you have had to do it more than once because it's not teaching you what you need to keep it off.

My suggestion is way how you WANT to eat and count your calories, keep a deficit until you reach that goal
  • dezbug98
    dezbug98 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I set my daily calories for 1350.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    dezbug98 wrote: »
    So I have always lost weight on low carb. It's not the lifestyle I want forever. How do you feel about the good old, fruits, veggies, meat, plus working out diet??? Effective for weightloss??? What have you had best experience with?

You may want to look into flexible dieting or IIFYM. And while right now i am carb/calorie cycling, i have always found flexible dieting easy and beneficial. While i followed it, i solely concentrated on calories and protein
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I lost the extra weight and am now several years into maintenance and I've done it by continuing to eat all the foods I like-I've just learned how to fit them into my calorie goals :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I strictly abide by the "everything is allowed" diet and have lost 81 lb in the past year. So, yeah.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I'm down 125 lbs and I eat all the things I did before I was actively trying to lose weight. I just have some items less frequently or in smaller quantities than before. Just because I'm "dieting" doesn't mean I'm required to be miserable by completely eliminating things I enjoy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm down 125 lbs and I eat all the things I did before I was actively trying to lose weight. I just have some items less frequently or in smaller quantities than before. Just because I'm "dieting" doesn't mean I'm required to be miserable by completely eliminating things I enjoy.

^ This exactly. I've lost 60 pounds and the only thing I've changed about my diet is that I eat some things less often and other things more often (and make things fit in my calorie goals, obviously). Haven't cut one single thing entirely out of my diet, nothing is off limits. I even have the occasional splurge days where I just say screw it and eat as much as I want of whatever I want.