I think I finally have the secret!

Options
I have been trying to lose 20kgs for I don't know how long. I have tried the 5 2 diet, the low carb, keto, intermittent fasting, weight watchers to name a few. I was always looking to outside support to find what I needed to succeed. It doesn't work. Without me in the equation it is just a fleeting success that follows further weight gain. Then I slowly came to the realisation that only I could do it and that perhaps the eat less move more is really the key.
Firstly, I found out that my maintenance calorie requirement if I was 20kgs lighter is around 1700 calories. So I decided that I would allow myself up to that amount if I really needed to, but generally I follow MFP and my Fitbit and make sure that I am under 500 calories every day. I get hungry, but only normal hungry where my calories satisfy me. I walk every day for about one hour and do weights a couple of times a week. BTW, when I do weights, I get really hungry and it is hard to stay on track, but I just allow myself to go up to the 1700, which would be a maintenance weight for a 60kg something person anyway.
This is the first holiday season that I haven't gained weight. I am steadily losing about 1kgs (2 lbs) a week and I feel great.
Yes, I do avoid bread, but it gives me indigestion anyway. I do eat lots of vegetables. I no longer binge. If I am really hungry late at night, I just tell myself how would I feel tomorrow if I indulged. I find a coffee with a little milk also helps fill that gap; and go to bed!
I feel like I have been released from a prison of spiraling weight gain, weight loss, hunger, and disordered eating. Disordered because following low carb drains my energy and gives me cravings. I have found that eating carbs is okay, just eat good ones.
I hope that some of you may find this post helpful.

Replies

• 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think that is a good strategy to employ particularly if you need a treat day ... using this as a guideline you would not exceed but maintain.

Good thinking and thanks for sharing...we all need ways to be strategic getting to goal weight and I will add this one.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I just stay about 300 calories under my TDEE. Works well. I also workout regularly and get 100 grams of protein per day. So far so good!!
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Perfect.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I also employ the strategy of allowing myself to eat up to maintenance when I'm truly extra hungry... today was one of those days! Hiked for a couple hours today including some serious inclines- that always gets me a big appetite!!

It is very freeing to know I can eat more than my calorie goal but not gain because I'm still at or under maintenance.

Glad you found a strategy that works well for you!!
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like your strategy courtney. If you let yourself get too hungry then you may try to overcompensate. If you eat up to maintenance on occasion then you won't be taking a step backwards.