Lose belly fat, but maintain weight

I am skinny, but I have some belly fat. I am wondering how I could lose the belly fat and maintain my weight. I have already started to make changes to my eating such as incorporating more veggies, lean meat, and whole grains, as well as doing more aerobic exercises and an workouts. To lose belly fat would I have to cut calories and do more aerobic exercises or do I keep eating the same amount of calories with weight training and aerobic exercise?

Replies

• SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    You can't "spot lose" fat; it will just come off where it wants to come off, unless you're going under the knife.

There are a few diets like ketosis which promote building your own body store of fat, but to do so without also losing weight isn't possible. If you want to be the weight you currently are with a leaner body, your best bet is to actually gain some weight while doing heavy lifting to increase your lean muscle mass, then go on a weight cut diet to lean out again.

Doing core exercises and working on your lower and upper back muscles will also make your body appear leaner in most cases.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Fat is an energy store - you don't get to choose where the fat is stored or lost from.

You are talking about what is referred to as recomp - the process of adding muscle and losing fat simultaneously.

Your body adapts to the demands you put on it so you need to have a serious think about your exercise, primarily the stimulus for muscle growth will come from strength/resistance exercise to overload your muscle to force the adaptation.
    Aerobic exercise can help especially if there is resistance element to the exercise but really it's best to think of it as improving your health and fitness and burning calories rather than burning fat.

Have a read or scan through this thread.....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1