Avocado?

Options

Replies

• lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I spread some avocado on bread and use it in place of mayo for sandwiches ... or cut slices of it and put it ontop of eggs, chop them up in salads, and I've also heard of people baking with smashed avocados instead of using oil. I've never tried one of those recipes though

As for what to look for with fruits, I've always just went for what looks good or whats on sale =) ... and picking fruits that are in season is always a good go-to rule .. they will be the freshest.
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Do a search in the recipe section for "Creamy Avocado Pasta". It is amazing!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    sandwiches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

tumblr_mpu6eiiu4Q1qkd33ko1_1280.jpg
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Avocado brownies.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    sandwiches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

tumblr_mpu6eiiu4Q1qkd33ko1_1280.jpg

That's a damn good looking sammich right there.
  • m2agm
    m2agm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love avocado - i use it on a ton - i am not sure that this was mentioned- but i use it to make chciken salad instead of mayo - add cilantro, some salt, lime juice- its delish - i have also used it to make a sauce for pasts - oh she glows website has the recipe.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocado and will put it on sandwiches and burgers instead of mayo. I think it really compliments turkey sandwiches the best. Or if on a burger, try it with a black bean salsa on top too. Fiesta! SOOOO good that way. It's also great just sliced up and thrown on top a salad. And of course guac.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    I want that sandwich!!

but anyway... I like them sliced with lime juice and salt!
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like them cut up on salads and Mellow Mushroom has an avocado hoagie which is awesome!! Has avocado and sprouts on a hoagie roll. Cannot remember what else is on it, yummm...
  • leenors
    leenors Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocados!! The 2 ways I eat them are:

1. Mash up avocado with some EVOO, pinch of salt, squeeze of lime and some red pepper flakes and put that on sprouted grain toast.

2. Mash up an avocado with some raw cacao and honey, put in the fridge for half an hour and ta-da - delicious, creamy, dreamy chocolate avocado mousse! It's so delicious... so, so, SO very worth trying!!!
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I also have a breakfast recipe I really like.

-Slice up a sweet onion and set the rings in a pan.
    -whip up some egg as if making scrambled
    -fill the onion rings with the egg
    -spinkle on some cheese, cilantro
    -cook thoroughly
    -plate and top with avocado chunks and hot sauce and/or pico de gallo.
    -yum
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have recently feel in like with avocados. I added it to my veggie burger with large slices of tomatoes. I absolutely loved it. I have also been eating it with black beans, sliced avocados and salsa over eggs. with a side of light sour cream. Yum-O

Sounds delish, I want to try the eggs for breakfast this weekend!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I eat them on everything! Salads, sandwhichs, burgers, with chicken, with eggs, in pasta, sometimes I'll just cut one in half and eat it right out of the skin with crackers. I even replace the mayo with avocado in deviled eggs.... amazoid fruit!!
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    cut up in cubes with cut up tomato diced to about same size as the avocado. Simple and the tomato acidity is a nice compliment to the avocado. Bright, light and refreshing esp. on hot summer days. Sometimes I add mozzerella cubes to it.
  • rjc0914
    rjc0914 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a grill nut and I found this online somewhere... tried it and oh is it good as a side dish or even by itself!

GRILLED AVOCADO:

-Avocados
    -Olive oil, vegatble oil (or cooking spray..I use the Pam Olive oil spray)
    -Lime juice, fresh or bottled
    -Your favorite salsa
    -Shredded cheese..cheddar or jack..basically anything Mexican-y (I use Sargento reduced fat mexican)
    -Salt

Firstly, fire up the grill to medium heat. If you can get perfectly ripe Avocados that is good, but even a little underripe works well. Overripe ones tend to be too mushy when cooked. Start by cutting it in half the long way, scoop out the pit and then carefully scoop the whole halves out of the shell. Then you want to rub a little oil all over each half, or spray them with the cooking spray. You don't need a lot at all..this is just for non-stick purposes. Rub some lime juice all over each half, then lightly salt the cut side with the hole of each half. Have your salsa and shredded cheese close by. Throw each half of the avocado on the grill CUT/SALTED SIDE DOWN. There is no real set time for this. I usually go about 5 minutes or less on this side. The longer you grill them, the more charred on the surface and soft on the inside they get so use your own discretion and trial and error. Then you flip them over so the side with the hole is up. Quickly fill the holes (giggity) with the salsa in the holes and then top each half with the cheese...I usually use about a TBSP of salsa and cheese for each half. Grill for a couple minutes to let the cheese melt and get some nice grill marks on the bottom. Then you are done! :) Tip: the avocado's can be slippery and a little on the soft side after some time on the grill so use a good pair of tongs and don't squeeze to hard!

A little higher in calories obviously (avocado's are in general) but one is great as a side with some fish or chicken and some rice, or just eat a couple on their own as a meal. Hope you all enjoy!
  • Hollyana
    Hollyana Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Avocado makes a really good breakfast - mash one with the juice of half a lemon and some salt and pepper, then spread on wholegrain toast. Keeps you full until lunch and is delicious.
  • JussyD89
    JussyD89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had avocado today.
    Avocado salsa.
    Avocado, chilli, capsicum, lemon, lime, salt, pepper, tomato.
    with toasted mission wrap bread.for dipping -relives the moment-
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love avocado as well. Great on either chicken sandwich, turkey burger or even on a tuna salad sandwich. Just have to be careful how much avocado you eat. I usually have 1/4 of one each day, although it's a good fat you can eat too much of a good thing. They turn brown really fast after cutting, so I always squirt a good amount of lime juice on the leftover portion and turn it upside down in a container and store it in the refrigerator (lasts about 3 days this way).
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I am starting to try new fruits and veggies. I was wondering what you do with avocado or how you eat it? The only way I have ever eaten avocado is in guacamole. Also any tips on picking good fruit and veggies at the store?

Thanks

sliced up and with a fork
    on burgers
    in salads
    feta, avocado, tomato, cucumber, red onion extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar salt and pepper
    on a slice of bread
    with pepper on triscuits

they brown very easily - so douse with lemon/lime juice to keep from turning. i like to buy them when they are rock hard so i can have during the week. if i know i'm going to use it right away i buy one that's soft to the touch but not mushy.
  • jetaylor63
    jetaylor63 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a grill nut and I found this online somewhere... tried it and oh is it good as a side dish or even by itself!

GRILLED AVOCADO:

-Avocados
    -Olive oil, vegatble oil (or cooking spray..I use the Pam Olive oil spray)
    -Lime juice, fresh or bottled
    -Your favorite salsa
    -Shredded cheese..cheddar or jack..basically anything Mexican-y (I use Sargento reduced fat mexican)
    -Salt

Firstly, fire up the grill to medium heat. If you can get perfectly ripe Avocados that is good, but even a little underripe works well. Overripe ones tend to be too mushy when cooked. Start by cutting it in half the long way, scoop out the pit and then carefully scoop the whole halves out of the shell. Then you want to rub a little oil all over each half, or spray them with the cooking spray. You don't need a lot at all..this is just for non-stick purposes. Rub some lime juice all over each half, then lightly salt the cut side with the hole of each half. Have your salsa and shredded cheese close by. Throw each half of the avocado on the grill CUT/SALTED SIDE DOWN. There is no real set time for this. I usually go about 5 minutes or less on this side. The longer you grill them, the more charred on the surface and soft on the inside they get so use your own discretion and trial and error. Then you flip them over so the side with the hole is up. Quickly fill the holes (giggity) with the salsa in the holes and then top each half with the cheese...I usually use about a TBSP of salsa and cheese for each half. Grill for a couple minutes to let the cheese melt and get some nice grill marks on the bottom. Then you are done! :) Tip: the avocado's can be slippery and a little on the soft side after some time on the grill so use a good pair of tongs and don't squeeze to hard!

A little higher in calories obviously (avocado's are in general) but one is great as a side with some fish or chicken and some rice, or just eat a couple on their own as a meal. Hope you all enjoy!

I'm definitely going to try this one :tongue: