I'm addicted to soft drink.

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I switched from regular soda to diet soda back when I started my weight loss phase and that saved me a lot of calories. I no longer drink any caloric drinks except for weekend alcohol and then in the winter I drink an occasional light hot cocoa (25 calories per cup ).
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    If you are addicted seek a 12 step meeting! Oh there's no 12 step group for soft drinks? Wonder why?

Cause it's not addicting. Just stop drinking it.

It has caffeine in it, which does make it difficult to cut out.
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As many said, I suggest that you stop gradually. if you currently drink 5 glasses per day, for a week drink 4 and substitute one with water/tea/herbal tea/whathever you prefer. the following week have 3 glasses per day and so on... best of luck!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you are addicted seek a 12 step meeting! Oh there's no 12 step group for soft drinks? Wonder why?

Yes it does. It can cause headaches, not withdrawal!

I don't know of anyone who committed felonies for pop. Cocaine, meth, opiods, alcohol... yes that happens.

If you have the privilege to spend weeks not sleeping, throwing up, shakes, tremors, and convulsions, we can talk about addiction.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    yeah, you've just got to break the cycle. Just think about the damage it does to your teeth
    dentalhealth.org/tell-me-about/topic/mouth-conditions/dental-erosion

I've always thought this was a really silly argument. It's called a TOOTHBRUSH and TOOTHPASTE, people.

I drink plenty of soft drink and my dentist loves my teeth. I'm pretty sure it's not addictive, either.

It's the acids in soft drinks that will eat away at your tooth enamel. Toothbrush and toothpaste will not help, particularly if you brush too soon after drinking.

Sure, but an apple has the same pH value as soft drinks (~3.3), importance of dosage etc.

I'm having problems right now with enamel erosion that we can't figure out (I don't really drink a lot of diet soda, ftr) and the dentist is scratching her head over it.

I eat a lot of fruit and use lemon juice a lot on my vegetables. While I do have GERD, it's controlled. The fruit is about all the dentist can come up with since I drink ... maybe 1/2 glass of diet soda a day.

Either that or it's genetic.

Or a combination of all the above, which is most likely, of course.

Honestly, the soda fear mongering amazes me. A lot of food is acidic.

BTW, she told me to keep eating and drinking as usual.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a drug addiction. It has to be treated as such. Like smoking, drinking, or eating disorders you can either work your way down slowly, or cold turkey. I cold turkey'ed soda 15 years ago. It was NOT easy! I had horrible horrible withdrawal symptoms. I would get migraines and felt nauseous and dizzy. I refused to let it into my home at ALL and I wouldnt buy it while out. (THAT was the hardest to do.. not buy it!) It took 3 months of pure torture, but then I realized one day that I had no cravings for it whatsoever. The taste was the only lingering memory but I didnt feel the desperate urge to run out and chug one. I didnt try soda again for over a year. Then I decided to reward myself. Think of how it would feel and taste to pop open a bottle of maple syrup and drink it. That's what it tasted like. PURE syrup. I was shocked I had ever liked the nasty stuff. Today I will once in awhile get a craving and indulge, but I cant drink very much and never finish a bottle. I would say that I am pretty much cured now.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options

Yes it does. It can cause headaches, not withdrawal!

I don't know of anyone who committed felonies for pop. Cocaine, meth, opiods, alcohol... yes that happens.

If you have the privilege to spend weeks not sleeping, throwing up, shakes, tremors, and convulsions, we can talk about addiction.

I never said it was addicting, I said it's difficult to cut out because of the caffeine.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    yeah, you've just got to break the cycle. Just think about the damage it does to your teeth

I've always thought this was a really silly argument. It's called a TOOTHBRUSH and TOOTHPASTE, people.

I drink plenty of soft drink and my dentist loves my teeth. I'm pretty sure it's not addictive, either.

It's the acids in soft drinks that will eat away at your tooth enamel. Toothbrush and toothpaste will not help, particularly if you brush too soon after drinking.

Sure, but an apple has the same pH value as soft drinks (~3.3), importance of dosage etc.

frequency is the major problem, so many people will eat an apple in a short period of time but will sip on a soft drink-exposing the teeth for much longer and more regularly
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

frequency is the major problem, so many people will eat an apple in a short period of time but will sip on a soft drink-exposing the teeth for much longer and more regularly

Not me! I'm a chugger. :p
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I'm having problems right now with enamel erosion that we can't figure out (I don't really drink a lot of diet soda, ftr) and the dentist is scratching her head over it.

I eat a lot of fruit and use lemon juice a lot on my vegetables. While I do have GERD, it's controlled. The fruit is about all the dentist can come up with since I drink ... maybe 1/2 glass of diet soda a day.

you've answered the question-you use lemon juice on a lot of your food and eat alot of fruit and have GERD

problem is our diets have changed massively -people rarely used to have soft drinks-carbonated or fruit based or eat as much fruit as we do now which is why we see acid erosion so commonly now

(im a dental hygienist btw)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited January 2017
    Options

you've answered the question-you use lemon juice on a lot of your food and eat alot of fruit and have GERD

problem is our diets have changed massively -people rarely used to have soft drinks-carbonated or fruit based or eat as much fruit as we do now which is why we see acid erosion so commonly now

(im a dental hygienist btw)

It's not my GERD, because as I stated, it's controlled and there's no acid going into my mouth and my dentist doesn't feel that the fruit/lemon juice caused the erosion?

The bit I have came on very suddenly and is rather drastic. She's quite puzzled by it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Caffeine is a drug addiction. It has to be treated as such.

I've quit coffee multiple times. It's a mild dependency, yeah. Not sure what "it has to be treated [as a drug addiction]" is supposed to mean. I didn't treat it any particular way -- I've cut down gradually (or not so gradually) by consciously subbing other beverages and I've quit cold turkey (giving it, and all caffeinated beverages, up for Lent a couple of times). Going cold turkey often leads to tiredness and a headache, which is why I recommend cutting back more gradually if there's no need to stop suddenly, but it's not like something terrible happens if you don't. It just can be harder than it needs to be.

Anyway, I agree that after not drinking soda for a long time (I quit sugary soda around age 18 and only drank diet in moderation for several years after that, although I went through a period where I was overdoing diet in my later 20s) it doesn't taste so great. I drink diet rarely, though, and still like it fine when I do, so who knows. (I know some never like diet at all. I'm glad I do as it's sometimes the most convenient beverage to have.)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I've quit coffee multiple times. It's a mild dependency, yeah. Not sure what "it has to be treated [as a drug addiction]" is supposed to mean. I didn't treat it any particular way -- I've cut down gradually (or not so gradually) by consciously subbing other beverages and I've quit cold turkey (giving it, and all caffeinated beverages, up for Lent a couple of times). Going cold turkey often leads to tiredness and a headache, which is why I recommend cutting back more gradually if there's no need to stop suddenly, but it's not like something terrible happens if you don't. It just can be harder than it needs to be.

Anyway, I agree that after not drinking soda for a long time (I quit sugary soda around age 18 and only drank diet in moderation for several years after that, although I went through a period where I was overdoing diet in my later 20s) it doesn't taste so great. I drink diet rarely, though, and still like it fine when I do, so who knows. (I know some never like diet at all. I'm glad I do as it's sometimes the most convenient beverage to have.)

I recently quit caffeine too to see if it helped with my chronic migraines. I wasn't drinking that much to begin with since I had already tapered down somewhat, and all I experienced was a headache for a few days.

I have quit smoking in the past. I attempted quitting both by tapering and through cold turkey. I would not compare the experiences to either my caffeine taper or immediate recent cut off. (The cold turkey approach was the one that stuck.)
  • 3181nike
    3181nike Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I do have diet but as we know there are tones of nasties and want to kick it out too. Some great insites and will start to cut down, thanks
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Food isnt a "drug" addiction, but I still consider it to be if there is a strong dependency on it. Your mind is drugged into believing it wants something. I havent cut out caffeine completely. I LOVE unsweet ice tea. But my real addiction is too ice coffee. I could cut out food all together for ice coffee! But, alas.. McD's went back up from 1.39 to 2.29 on their iced hazelnut coffees and I cant afford that every day. Especially since I have to buy for 3 others if I DO splurge! Blasted kids...

Never tried giving anything up for Lent. My step Da is catholic so does it often, but im non-denominational. If I give something up, its cause Im broke mostly. Last time I gave something up for God was ... Oh wow. K. Yeah im a terrible person. Anyways.. I didnt mean that caffeine is an actual narcotic.. like coke or something. I just meant that it mimicked a drug addiction in how it consumes the mind of the person dependent on it. If you cant think of anything you want more when the feeling hits, its become a problem. Ok.. my Lent is Ice Coffee.. :( I think Ill go cry now..
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    3181nike wrote: »
    Thanks all. I do have diet but as we know there are tones of nasties and want to kick it out too. Some great insites and will start to cut down, thanks

No, there isn't a tonne of nasties in diet soda. Aspartame is not horrible for you:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Diet soda doesn't contain very much sodium, either.

Diet soda is around 98% water.

So, if you moderate diet soda, there really isn't any risk involved.

This.
  • vixnbrianaf
    vixnbrianaf Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There's a brand of sparkling water called Sparkling Ice that has wonderful flavors and has basically replaced soda for me. I'm not totally off soda, but I don't crave it constantly like I did before finding these. I actually was able to go an entire month without a drop of soda, and now I drink maybe one or two servings a week.
    Also, I'd like to point out that up until about 5 months ago, I drank at least 2 servings of soda a day and have only had 2 cavities in my entire 34 years of life. Genetics, care and overall health has a lot to do with the health of your mouth and not every sweet is destined to give you cavities.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

That's exactly how I treat it - by feeding the addiction with a cup of coffee every morning and a diet coke or two throughout the day. :D