Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why fit = slim?

Options
Why everywhere I go, healthy and fit must equal skinny? I don't have a weight problem, I don't need to lose weight, but every app and website tries to starve me in order to give me a "healthier" diet. Setting myfitnesspal to "gain / maintain" weight does little to nothing, the app still marks in red the calories that would help me gain weight and in green when I'd lose weight, and the blog posts are still adressed to people who want to be skinnier instead of, say, become stronger, or get more muscle mass. What can I do to get healthier without going dangerously underweight and put my health in peril?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't correlate fit with Skinny, or healthy with Skinny. You can be fit and healthy at different sizes, and different bf %'s. There is plenty of info out there about being fit and healthy, or gaining muscle without the need to lose weight. No one is trying to "starve" you to be Skinny or healthy.

At the end of the day, you choose how you want to look, and what you put in your mouth. Your definition of healthy would be different to mine, and you should eat accordingly if you're trying to be the healthiest version of yourself. You can eat at "maintenance" level, or above, whilst eating predominantly "healthy" foods, no one is restricting your intake... with that comes the potential to put on excess body fat. There is increased issues with being overweight and underweight, neither is ideal.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What's seen as "slim" is actually a normal and healthy body fat level.
    6dulmt06cjiz.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your definition of "slim" or "skinny" is...in my mind it's someone with little fat and little in the way of muscle. I know a lot of fit women, including my wife...none of them are "skinny"...they look healthy and vibrant and athletic...they have lower body fat but have muscles so they have a nice physique.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    6dulmt06cjiz.jpg

The lean and hot guy's hair makes me think it was drawn after Sadik Hadzovic.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OP do you have an eating disorder? It seems rather extreme thought process to jump from 'slim' to 'dangerously underweight' just because your counting calories?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    6dulmt06cjiz.jpg

I like the armpit hair on the bulky guy.

And the knee braces on the bulky lady... At least she doesn't have armpit hair too... :wink:

I don't think that fit necessarily equals slim.... Less fat = more fit than more fat. (did that even make sense?). I know plenty of slim folks who get winded going up stairs. I know a few overweight folks who don't. What's your definition of fit, OP?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your stats? And your goals?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Just apply common sense. If you don't need to lose weight and you want to get fit and healthy, then eat a healthy diet of sufficient calories to maintain your healthy weight and exercise. Include both aerobic and resistance in your workouts and/or activities.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Read body recomposition threads, and turn off the blog feed on your home page. This site is a tool, and you can use it however you need to.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Why everywhere I go, healthy and fit must equal skinny? I don't have a weight problem, I don't need to lose weight, but every app and website tries to starve me in order to give me a "healthier" diet. Setting myfitnesspal to "gain / maintain" weight does little to nothing, the app still marks in red the calories that would help me gain weight and in green when I'd lose weight, and the blog posts are still adressed to people who want to be skinnier instead of, say, become stronger, or get more muscle mass. What can I do to get healthier without going dangerously underweight and put my health in peril?

It's really not hard to figure out. Most fitness apps and blogs are geared toward the majority of people using/reading them and the majority of people need to lose weight.

If you don't need to lose weight then don't use MFP to lose weight. You can set it up for whatever goals you want.

You can also visit blogs and forums dedicated to gaining muscle. There are even some on this very site.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    There are likely a few here that know of Eric Esch AKA Butterbean, I couldn't help but think of him reading this thread. He's anything but slim at 5'11" and 425lbs, but I wouldn't dare tell him he's not fit. ;)

I mean, he may not be in the classical sense, I just wouldn't tell him that. :)
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lots of NFL linemen are pretty fit and aren't skinny. The issue is that media and Hollywood have set this dumb standard for what is perceived as "fit" while being skinny.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm not sure which linemen you think are pretty fit. None of them are skinny. As a group they are highly overweight and tend to die very young. I don't see how that fits anyone's definition of "fit". You can be good at some sports despite being fat but that doesn't make you "fit" or healthy.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2313476
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    There are likely a few here that know of Eric Esch AKA Butterbean, I couldn't help but think of him reading this thread. He's anything but slim at 5'11" and 425lbs, but I wouldn't dare tell him he's not fit. ;)

I mean, he may not be in the classical sense, I just wouldn't tell him that. :)

If he survives as long as the average overweight American I would be shocked. He can kick butt, he's not at all "fit".

Everyone doesn't need to have "fit" as a goal. If you want to be an NFL lineman or follow in Butterbean's footsteps that's great, but go into it knowing that's not healthy and highly likely to shorten your life.