Carb 50, protein 30, fat 20

Options
These number are from mfp calculations on losing weight 1 kg a week. It looks like too much carb. Should I believe in these number and eat accordingly.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Recommended calorie intake is determined by your height, weight, age, sex, activity level, and is what controls your weight loss rate.

The default macro split is 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat. Why wouldn't you believe in those numbers? What is too much carbs, and why?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Your macros won't affect your ability to lose weight as long as you stay under your calorie goal. However, your macro split is all about personal preference and affects your satiety. I also find MFP's carb default to be too high and prefer to keep them at 35 to 40%. The highest I go is 45% and that's normally when I'm going to be doing a lot of intense cardio or replenishing after doing so.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    These number are from mfp calculations on losing weight 1 kg a week. It looks like too much carb. Should I believe in these number and eat accordingly.

What makes you think it's too many carbs?
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options

As a basis for starting, 50% carbs is fine on an assumption you're a bit active. While not a big picture and overly simplified, think of it like this. Protein builds and repairs, carbs fuel, fats are a battery & protection.

While its true that you can function on minimal carbs (you NEED protein and fat), doing so "can" deprive you of so much good stuff (minerals, vitamins, fibre etc).

Personally at the moment I eat 40:30:30 but on gym days that looks more like 40:40:20. My protein remains static but I like more carbs the more I work.

As said above, if you are losing weight, its making sure you eat in a calorie deficit. The ratio of how that is broken down can be tweaked but dont get hung up on it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss.

Macro splits usually come down to a few things, most personal preference in terms of satiety and fitness performance.

Fat and protein should be set as minimums to reach, carbs are discretionary according to how you do best with them. They don't hinder weight loss at all. Some people are satiated by them, some people aren't.

I find the default recommendation for protein to be a bit low, since dieters need more protein than non-dieters (.6 - .8 grams per pound of their goal weight). Fat intake should be anywhere from .25 - .45 grams minimum per pound of body weight. Any calories left after that can be "spent" on carbs and you can give some more to fats or protein.
  • dongeranger
    dongeranger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all advice. Carbs to me feels like something that make you gain more weight. But if everybody said so I have to adjust my mind to accept more carb.
    40c 30p 30f seems to be a good combination.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all advice. Carbs to me feels like something that make you gain more weight. But if everybody said so I have to adjust my mind to accept more carb.

There's no NEED to eat 50-30-20. If you're more comfortable eating 40-30-30, go for it.

Weight loss is based on creating a calorie deficit. For some people, eating lower - or very low - carbs (and more fats) helps them feel full and makes it easier to eat fewer calories.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Nah; carbohydrates really aren't that damaging, the issue is the calorie intake, and what generally happens is people consume foods that are high in both carbohydrates and fat (i.e a double cheeseburger) which blows their calorie limit.

By restricting carbohydrates in your diet, what you're essentially doing is removing a source of calories making it easier for you to get into deficit.

There are a ton of reasons to adopt a high carb diet, there are a ton of reasons to adopt a low carb diet, they're not really relevant to weight loss.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've always felt that the carb ratio was high too. I have never followed a low carb diet, and I eat veggies, fruits, & breads every day. However, I have never come close to the 50% on my carbs. It used to bother me, but I kind of ignore the number now and focus on the protein, fat, & fiber, & keeping my sodium low.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can't "feel" the "fattening" effect of carbs, but you may have heard it being talked about. 20 years ago, fat was "fattening". Turns out the culprit was too many calories all along :/

You should set up your diet to suit you. The "zone diet" setup works for many people. We can't tell you what will suit you. I was happy with around 45% fat, 25% protein, 30% carbs while losing weight. When I hit maintenance, I didn't change amounts of fat and protein, so those percentages dropped - I mainly just reintroduced more carbs - and now I'm eating very close to MFP's default.