Need motivation?

Options
I see so many posts about needing motivation, or losing motivation, or asking how to get motivated... even the title of this forum is "motivation and support"... but here's the truth: you don't need to feel motivated to lose weight, you just need to decide to do it.

Do you pay your bills because you feel "motivated"? Do you go to work only on days that you wake up and think "gee, I really feel like going to work today!"? Do you brush your teeth because you feel inspired to do so?

NOPE! You do those things because they have to be done, and you're a responsible adult who understands action and consequences.

If you don't pay your bills the power gets turned off and your car gets repossessed and you have nowhere to live and terrible credit. If you don't go to work you lose your job and have no money. If you don't brush your teeth you get bad breath and cavities and will need expensive dental work.

Losing weight is the same thing- you don't have to feel motivated, you just have to consistently do the things that result in weight loss. Measure and log food, make smart choices, stay within your calorie goal, exercise. It's really pretty simple.

We all know the consequences of not paying attention to our diet and not taking care of our bodies, and if we're here on myfitnesspal we've made the decision to lose the weight. We don't need MOTIVATION to do it, we just need to do it.

Replies

• swiese86
    swiese86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nice perspective!
  • getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Not to play devils advocate, but yeah sometimes I do need motivation to do those things. That's why people call out "sick" or buy a new wibble and let a bill be late. Some people face those se challenges with weight loss. Anything that takes this much determination is fueled by motivation.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Not to play devils advocate, but yeah sometimes I do need motivation to do those things. That's why people call out "sick" or buy a new wibble and let a bill be late. Some people face those se challenges with weight loss. Anything that takes this much determination is fueled by motivation.

Fair point! It is definitely easier to do what you gotta do if you actually like and want to do it. My point was kind of that there's going to be a lot of days where you just don't feel like doing it but you have the power to decide to do it anyways. I feel like motivation is very helpful- but dedication, determination & consistency is what's even more essential.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    If you don't need the motivation, then you don't. Do not deride those who need it. Every individual is different. And their feelings, emotions, struggles and mindset are different and unique.

True everyone is different. Was trying to be helpful.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Fair point! It is definitely easier to do what you gotta do if you actually like and want to do it. My point was kind of that there's going to be a lot of days where you just don't feel like doing it but you have the power to decide to do it anyways. I feel like motivation is very helpful- but dedication, determination & consistency is what's even more essential.

And many people require a level of motivation, be it from others or from within themselves, to either adopt or maintain the dedication, determination, and consistency required to lose weight, lead a healthier lifestyle, etc. Change is hard, especially if you're trying to change long-held patterns of behavior or thought. IMO, saying things like "you just need to decide to do it" is unhelpful because it overlooks the day-to-day struggle that many face in reaching that decision, particularly when they're just starting out.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

And many people require a level of motivation, be it from others or from within themselves, to either adopt or maintain the dedication, determination, and consistency required to lose weight, lead a healthier lifestyle, etc. Change is hard, especially if you're trying to change long-held patterns of behavior or thought. IMO, saying things like "you just need to decide to do it" is unhelpful because it overlooks the day-to-day struggle that many face in reaching that decision, particularly when they're just starting out.

That's true, change is definitely hard. But once you decide to do something, haven't you made the decision? Whether you feel like doing it or not? Whether you feel inspired or excited or motivated? If I had to rely on feeling motivated every day I would have fallen off my plan months ago. I admit I do feel motivated most days, but I just stick to the plan on my bad days out of determination. Then there are the days where I just can't manage or need a break of corse, but get back on track asap because I still have the same goals and the same things still need to happen to accomplish it.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes, I've made the decision to lose some weight and get fit along the way. But there are plenty of days when I just don't feel like logging, getting on the rowing machine, doing my push-ups or crunches, etc. On those days, it's the motivation and support I get from friends and family that pushes me through and keeps me on track.

I think it's great (sincerely, I do!) that you're the type of person who doesn't need extra motivation once you've decided to do something. But your OP seems to presume that everyone is like that when in truth, many are not. And in my view, telling those people they don't need motivation can lead to thoughts of self-doubt that will ultimately prove to be counter-productive. Just my two cents...
  • courtneyfabulous
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes, I've made the decision to lose some weight and get fit along the way. But there are plenty of days when I just don't feel like logging, getting on the rowing machine, doing my push-ups or crunches, etc. On those days, it's the motivation and support I get from friends and family that pushes me through and keeps me on track.

I think it's great (sincerely, I do!) that you're the type of person who doesn't need extra motivation once you've decided to do something. But your OP seems to presume that everyone is like that when in truth, many are not. And in my view, telling those people they don't need motivation can lead to thoughts of self-doubt that will ultimately prove to be counter-productive. Just my two cents...

Thanks for the perspective! Yeah I guess my thoughts were in reaction to all the posts I see where people ask how to keep going when you lose motivation- because motivation definitely comes and goes- I hate to see people give up just because times get hard or it stops being fun. Didn't mean to be discouraging at all, not my intention, maybe I will edit the original post if I can.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

Thanks for the perspective! Yeah I guess my thoughts were in reaction to all the posts I see where people ask how to keep going when you lose motivation- because motivation definitely comes and goes- I hate to see people give up just because times get hard or it stops being fun. Didn't mean to be discouraging at all, not my intention, maybe I will edit the original post if I can.
    Fabulous Courtney, so you have been around for a while and have grown indifferent to the newcomers who constantly ask for a little push.

How exactly did you feel on your first day here or were you always fabulous from the get go? ;)

It's very common and human to grow indifferent to the flurry of threads when you have seen it for a while. But applying that indifference to the new person who is writing their feelings out overcome by personal pain and anxiety is not nice. And it is definitely not being helpful.

A little empathy? You are capable of it, right?

When I first came to myfitnesspal I'd already been actively trying to lose weight for about a year and 4 months, 9 months of which I'd been seeing a personal trainer and going to the gym regularly. I was very frustrated because I wasn't getting much results for all my efforts. I'd also had trouble with my weight in the past and overcome an eating disorder in my teens. The most recent weight gain was due to being quite ill and therefore inactive & comfort eating for several years... so I'm no stranger to hardship and struggle. When I finally figured out losing the weight was as simple as CICO and started using the app properly, the weight finally started coming off. And one valuable lesson I learned along the way is to stay determined and not give up no matter what. I had pretty much no motivation left by the time I started myfitnesspal a few months ago- but it still worked because I just decided to give it a shot and do what I was supposed to.

I see your point about not seeming sensitive to newcomers, but I think you're assuming a tone on my part that was not intentional. I stand by the insight I have offered.
  • mimi784
    mimi784 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Courtney, thank you for your original post. I found your post to be both motivating and inspiring. One thing that struck me is that at no point did you come across as feeling sorry for yourself and I like that. You've helped me not only to try again with my goals, but to stay focussed and use my willpower to achieve them.

Looking forward to your future posts Courtney