Calories gained through exercise

Options
Jinxter2007
Jinxter2007 Posts: 4 Member
Is there a way to stop the bonus Calories showing up as I keep getting confused with calories in genuinely have left. Tia

Replies

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Don't log the exercise in on MFP
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Just change the calorie burn to 0
  • _Captivated_
    _Captivated_ Posts: 5,669 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Just change the calorie burn to 0

This.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories ARE calories you genuinely have left.
  • fitat1972
    fitat1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jruzer, question. When you work out and you get those extra calories, is it not defeating the purpose of burning them if you are just going to eat them later? I heard this before but I'm confused.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns are notoriously overestimated and for some people, if they ate all of them back, would not lose weight. Most people eat a percentage of them back, since MFP goals are set up without including any exercise at all
  • Jruzer
    Options
    fitat1972 wrote: »
    Jruzer, question. When you work out and you get those extra calories, is it not defeating the purpose of burning them if you are just going to eat them later? I heard this before but I'm confused.

Hi @fitat1972, I have two answers:
    1. Your calorie goal in MFP is already set for you to lose weight. When you exercise, you are burning more calories than expected, so you will lose weight more rapidly than projected. That sounds good in theory, of course, but losing weight too fast is not healthy. For many of us, exercising is a way to be able to eat more than our baseline budget. I would be miserable eating only my calorie budget, but with several hundred exercise calories per day I'm (usually! :)) content.

2. We are concerned with fitness, just not weight. You should exercise because it's good for you, and you need to eat to fuel your fitness.

A few links:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    fitat1972 wrote: »

No - MFP gave you a calorie deficit before exercise. So you did indeed earn extra calories for your added effort. Not everyone will exercise. Active people use more calories that's a fact of life.

The purpose of exercise is to be fit and healthy. I strength train because it helps me keep (more) existing lean muscle mass.....if I did it solely for the puny calorie burn, I would be disappointed.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns are notoriously overestimated and for some people, if they ate all of them back, would not lose weight. Most people eat a percentage of them back, since MFP goals are set up without including any exercise at all

That's a good reason to try to understand how many calories your exercise actually and really burns. Which is good to know anyway, helps make better decisions.
  • Jruzer
    Options

That's a good reason to try to understand how many calories your exercise actually and really burns. Which is good to know anyway, helps make better decisions.

Yes, exactly correct!